Airfix 1/72 Hawker Typhoon Mk.Ib Sprue Shots

Wonderland Models

I've dug out the Nov 1974 copy of Scale Models with AL Bentley's plans. Checking the overall length against the quoted 31ft 10in gives 134mm which is spot on. Checking the fuselage nose to fin end gives 117.5mm, which compares to Airfix 116.5 and Brengun 118. I've no problem with that overall, no-one's going to see that. I don't think the fin is rotated (in pitch, not in yaw) but the leading edge is too curved, and a little reduction in curve will help a lot. That will spoil the little parallel panel line but you can't see that on the aircraft anyway so tough. Fill it.

Looking for why the Airfix is a little short is illluminating, and in the end a bit disappointing. It is not a little bit of shrinkage on everything. If you line up the nose, then the fin is too far forward and the rear fuselage too slender. If you line up the rear of the fin, then the fuselage is about right (perhaps marginally slim, but only the thickness of the lines), the wing and the canopy are in the correct places, and all the difference is at the nose. Measuring the radiator, it is at least 1mm short if not slightly more, which over the distance concerned is almost 6% and so could be perceivable by some. The difference from the nose to the first panel line is perhaps slightly less than 1mm. I doubt that anyone would want to lengthen the engine cowling anyway, but doing the same with the radiator would be a lot more difficult, and I'm not going to bother.

In the end, this is a measurement against a plan not necessarily against the real thing - though draughtsmen don't come better recommended.

Wasn't there a rumour\posting some time last year that an Airfix tape measure was found in the (Hendon) Typhoon: either Bently or Airfix could be correct.

Wasn't there a rumour\posting some time last year that an Airfix tape measure was found in the (Hendon) Typhoon: either Bently or Airfix could be correct.

Note to Graham Boak: sorry that my first attempt at a reply ended up in your post!

No problem, although it might be better for others if you wiped out that posting. Do Airfix use tape measures with their name on them? If not, how did the finder know whose it was? Sounds like a bar story to me. However, that doesn't mean Airfix haven't measured it and got it right, though in that case there has to be some other difference in the spinner or rudder to get the overall length correct, and there's not exactly a lot of length there to play about with. The true length for the 4-blader is 31ft 11½ inches, so if anyone has the model finished and cares to put calipers on it, do let us know. As always, the answer is to look at photos and decide for yourself.

The Brengun also doesn't have C1 roundels for JCB, but not a big deal to find them aftermarket. I intend to make one of my Airifix ones as this aircraft (it needs the tropical filter), and I don't want to have to fix up the tail wound of chopping the Brengun.

Although the Brengun boxings available now have the car-door canopy, the fuselage is not correct for it, the cockpit opening is the wrong shape. They are about to release a new box with different fuselage.

My Brengun review is on Aeroscale.

Brengun, as expected, have a PE set for their kit, which includes the fish plates. I don't know why they don't supply them, as they have a small PE fret in the kit with seatbelts (non-Sutton type, probably wrong for most/all Typhoons?).

Nick: the Brengun is a modern shorter-run kit: the parts don't need major thinning, for example, and the detail is crisp, but there aren't locating pins. The Airfix goes together quickly, while the Brengun needs clean-up and test fitting. With regards to my Academy build with the Aeroclub canopy, certainly the height tapers off more quickly in the Airfix, which may give the impression it is shorter. As you can see from the white catch-light reflection, the Airfix is quite blown around the front part near the pilot's head, probably overhanging more than the Aeroclub. The actual shape is very hard to get right, but both are acceptable (if you look at an Academy/Hobbyboss, even without anything for comparison, you can see something is very wrong.

Thanks for that Ben - very helpful.

Nick

Hi Guys

Thanks a lot for charing the pics of this very attractive Typhoon ..

Just a question for those who were at Cosford judging by the pics 6 8 9

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234934960-cosford-model-show/page-6

I see a HURRICANE IID boxing does anyone know more on this ?

If I don't make a mistake Airfix announced a Mk I for 2013 and not a IID ...

Patrice

Hi Guys

Thanks a lot for charing the pics of this very attractive Typhoon ..

Just a question for those who were at Cosford judging by the pics 6 8 9

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234934960-cosford-model-show/page-6

I see a HURRICANE IID boxing does anyone know more on this ?

If I don't make a mistake Airfix announced a Mk I for 2013 and not a IID ...

Patrice

The Hurricane IID is a Airfix club kit. We believe it is their Hurricane IIc kit with additional parts

I especially want the Airfix Hurri IId kit mentioned above for the decals as the option for JV-V includes the 6 Sqn flying can opener inside a ring under the exhausts. Finally a decal for this distinctive marking which I noticed on photos a few years ago.

It will probably be a rework of the disappointing Hurri IIc kit but wouldn`t it be nice if Airfix did a Hurricane Mk.II in the same style as the new Tiffie kit!! Nobody anywhere has done a decent Hurricane Mk.IIa or IIb kit yet in 1/72nd scale!

While I`m wittering on,.....thanks everybody for your info about the Tiffie and to Chris for sharing his detailed knowledge,

Cheers

Tony O

Nobody anywhere has done a decent Hurricane Mk.IIa or IIb kit yet in 1/72nd scale!

Tony,

You've done a few, if I recall correctly . . . :winkgrin:

Sorry! You meant manufacturers . . .

regards,

Martin

I especially want the Airfix Hurri IId kit mentioned above for the decals as the option for JV-V includes the 6 Sqn flying can opener inside a ring under the exhausts. Finally a decal for this distinctive marking which I noticed on photos a few years ago.

For what it's worth (maybe not much), this marking was included with the Matchbox 1/72 Tempest II/VI kit, although I seem to recall that it was red, not in the colours shown in the Airfix Hurricane IID box art.

John

Edited by John Thompson

I understood that AL Bentley had worked from the aircraft. However, dealing with such small differences opens the question of how any reproduction may have stretched his original drawings, something which was all too common. He does now sell correctly sized copies of his drawings, but I don't know if that includes the Typhoon.

Ben: did you check the overall length spinner tip to rudder trailing edge and how that matched the stated dimensions? Differences in the core fuselage of the models may have been due to/compensated for by the size/shape of their rudders and spinners. I can add that aligning the model fuselages tip-to-toe did result in some considerably different positions of the cockpit, and I didn't even look at the wing positions.

Graham

AL Bentley site lists the drawings, and all are listed for sale.

http://www.albentley-drawings.com/typhoon.htm

I never got a response to the two email enquiries I sent asking to buy some though.

Anyone esle bought any or had a similar problem of no response?

cheers

T

Graham

I never got a response to the two email enquiries I sent asking to buy some though.

cheers

T

I believe Arthur is not really the most internet-minded of people. Best to ring him on the phone number listed on his website.

Graham

cheers

T

Plenty of people having the same problem it seems - including me :(. There was a thread over on the FlyPast forum on the same subject recently regarding Tempest drawings.

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?123496-Arthur-Bentley-Tempest-Drawings

In case it hasn't come up before, the Bentley drawings appeared in the November 1975 Scale Models: 3 pages of drawings, a full-page captioned cockpit sketch and 3 pages of photos/commentary by Arthur. From the old days when magazines were magazines and not just photo galleries and catalogues.

• Like 1

Thanks for pointing this out, looks very promising. Are these the first Mk.3 rails in 1/72 (or any scale)? Can't tell whether the radiator replacement has sufficient depth around the filter to look realistic, and the price is a bit higher than expected, given the price of the Valiant Wings set (with resin from CMR and etch from Brengun for the radiator stone grille).

In case it hasn't come up before, the Bentley drawings appeared in the November 1975 Scale Models: 3 pages of drawings, a full-page captioned cockpit sketch and 3 pages of photos/commentary by Arthur. From the old days when magazines were magazines and not just photo galleries and catalogues.

Couldn't agree more about the descent of the Modelling press. I ought to point out that Arthur's drawings have been revised recently, including now, for example, the late war trop filter. I believe the major features remain unchanged.

Chris

Plenty of people having the same problem it seems - including me :(. There was a thread over on the FlyPast forum on the same subject recently regarding Tempest drawings.

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?123496-Arthur-Bentley-Tempest-Drawings

Try the phone number.

You are correct!

hurricaneIId.jpg

Cheers,

Bill

Good afternoon

Thanks for all your answers ..

I think I'll try to get one of these as I already have the Hasegawa Desert Fox boxing in my stash ...

Does anyone know where these kits are available ?

In fact I'm pretty sure these came out last year. They're not the annual club kit, which for 2013 is the trio of kits in Russian colours, but a kit available to club members only. I've seen these made up on another site, if not here on BM.

Steve.