Airfix 1/72 Hawker Typhoon Mk.Ib Sprue Shots

Wonderland Models

Since it will no doubt be a while before the Tiffie shows up on this side of the pond, I ordered one from Airfix today. Maybe this time they'll not charge me that pesky VAT! :)

Cheers,

Bill

Bill,

As a fellow Non-UK resident (Australia) I can honestly recommend that you try the lads at Hattons - www.ehattons.com

I've been purchasing all the latest Airfix kits from them. They do not charge VAT, the postage to Australia is next to nothing and you get them before your mates do ?? I often receive my goods inside 7 days.

Overnight they sent me an email to say that my two pre-ordered Typhoons were on their way. The service is excellent.

I liken it to living in the UK, although seeing the Sun a bit more often.

Cheers... Dave.

Bill,

As a fellow Non-UK resident (Australia) I can honestly recommend that you try the lads at Hattons - www.ehattons.com

I've been purchasing all the latest Airfix kits from them. They do not charge VAT, the postage to Australia is next to nothing and you get them before your mates do ?? I often receive my goods inside 7 days.

Overnight they sent me an email to say that my two pre-ordered Typhoons were on their way. The service is excellent.

I liken it to living in the UK, although seeing the Sun a bit more often.

Cheers... Dave.

Thanks for the tip! I'll give them a try.

Cheers,

Bill

We have just sold out of our stock of the Airfix 1/72 Hawker Typhoon Mk.Ib. Hornby's estimate for restocks are not until June.

You will still be able to place orders, which will be dispatched as soon as new stocks become available.

Picked up mine from Transport Models of Preston this afternoon - don't know how many they had left. It's as good as people say and as it looks in the photos. I'm impressed with the level of thought that has gone into making this a genuine late-production Typhoon rather than something more generic. It is clearly the finest tooling seen on 1/72 Typhoon to date (or any scale?)

The panel lines still need refining - it should be possible to distinguish moving parts from fixed structure which isn't always true on this model. The flat on the wheels is excessive, and the yellow offset has struck again on the roundels. I don't know what it is about yellow, but this is such a common fault that I'm surprised more producers haven't switched to separate yellow rings as on the Hasegawa Hurricane. These are obviously niggles rather than major faults; they shouldn't be there but are fairly easy to correct if you want to. Oh, there is one major failing of research - Tiffie pilots always had their oxygen masks on because of CO leakage!

Popped into Wonderland at lunchtime with the express intention of buying some more tape and some airbrush propellant (I don't think I am good enough to justify a proper airbrush/compressor set up ...yet!) and abslutely not buying any models. Saw 4 or 5 of these on the shelf and two walking out the door with happy looking customers and thought "what the hell!" and bought one.

Just opened it at home and can state categorically that this is the best Airfix product I have ever seen. Restrained panel lines, sensible parts breakdown, open gun bay option (stunning moulding here), great detail in the wheel wells and all for the princely sum of £7.99. BARGAIN! I will need to convince SWMBO to let me buy one of the Bren Gun models to see if the price difference is justified. I will be amazed if it is; no offence to Bren Gun but this kit is stunning.

Cheers

DC - Happy modeller!

Sneaked mine into a bag when I bought my daughters Dragon with Fairie rider. Daniels in Windsor now still have five in stock as of this afternoon. SWMBO did not notice! :-D

Glad to see they've done the bubble four blader, in my opinion this version looks the tidiest and most elegant.

You have a strange interpretation of elegant, looks like a beast to me!

I've just built the new Airfix (unpainted, for a review), and fit is very good on the whole, and the engineering ideas are superb.

I'm not going to cover the details of shape and panel line nits in the review, so I though I would pos them here instead.

Putting the fuselage up against the Bentley-based plans in Chris Thomas's Typhoon and Tempest Aces book reveals an issue with the tail:

bentley-nose.jpg

bentley-rudder.jpg

Next I compared it to the new Brengun, which fits the plans perfectly, except for a tiny part of the curve of the fin, but less than 1 mm off the line:

airfix-on-brengun.jpg.jpg

brengun-on-airfix.jpg

rudder-to-rudder.jpg

So, the tail looks to be rotated forwards, shortening the overall length at the same time. If it bothers you, the Brengun kit could be a good source for a spare tail, as both larger and small tailplanes and tail section are included (though the Airfix fuselage is slightly skinnier, so wouldn't be a quick swap).

Next, the panel lines. They are almost identical in fineness to the Brengun kit's.

panel_lines_compared-cowlings.jpg

But the Bregun cowling fasteners are a favourite of mine.

tiff-vs-spit.jpg

Much improved fasteners over the coarse Spitfire.

Revell can be a lot subtler though:

tiff-vs-hurri.jpg

Some wing shots:

typhoon-wings.jpg

panel_lines_compared-wings.jpg

I would like to see wingtip navigation lights on a kit as good as this, but overall I am a very happy Typhoon modeller!

I've put the Airfix fuselage up against the two old Frog, the Academy and the HobbyBoss fuselages, and although they do not agree on things like depth and cockpit position, they do agree on tail shape.

There's quite a few odd raised small panels on the kit reminiscent of the similar ones on the Academy/Hobbycraft. Get the file out.

Edited by Graham Boak

Oh wow.....I'm going to be getting a couple of these!

I was looking forward to this kit anyway, but it looks to be even better than I'd hoped (tail excepting perhaps).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Graham: Interesting- did they match in length to the rudder hinge? I'm not too fussed about it personally though- I won't be correcting it.

Here is one I forgot to post earlier, a comparison with the sloping Academy nose:

noses.jpg

Thanks John, but the review is still to come- I have photographed a stage by stage build. Hopefully have it on Aeroscale.co.uk in a day or so.

Exhaust plinths and shrouds were fitted only to late aircraft, certainly from early 1944 onwards.. Check your photographs. There's a good one on the rear cover of Profile Publication No. 81 showing SW537. Notice how the plinth and shroud are in camouflage colours. The Typhoon in the RAF Museum is the same.

Just to prove not all the decals are off register!

image-1-1_zps84bf7253.jpeg

Like all new decals supplied with these Airfix kits, they look quite usable to me. Isn't it a nice chance to actually consider building these kits with the manufacturers chosen schemes rather than having to always purchase after market decal sheets.

Cheers.. Dave.