Airfix 1/72 Hawker Typhoon Mk.Ib Sprue Shots

Wonderland Models

Many thanks.. I have two on preorder from Hattons and cannot wait to get them. Seeing these shots makes me want them even more... How good is that Javelin gonna be....

Cheers.. Dave.

looks promising! Would it be possible to kitbash it with the Pavla, to get an early cardoor-version?

Alex

That would seem like rather a waste of a fairly expensive Pavla kit, since all you would need to take from it is the prop and the canopy (though as the Pavla kit comes with two canopies I suppose you can use one on each kit, but that still leaves you short of a prop for the Pavla kit).

It would perhaps be better to get an Academy Typhoon as that comes with both props, and the small tail. Swap the tailplanes over, use the 3-blade Academy prop on the Airfix, and use a Falcon car door canopy with a bit of cut and shut to take account of the different windscreen. Then you can build the Academy kit as a large-tail 4-blader. That way, two kits bought, two can be built.

• Like 1

It looks very tasty !

If I may add a few comments, comments coming from someone who does not know the subject well, there are several things I like:

- some very, very clever design choices ! I like the way the gun bay details are done and also how the wheel wells include some of the cockpit details. Same for the say the wheels are assembled, it will be easier to paint the hub right. A lot of thought seems to have gone in the design of this kit

- I like that both rockets and bombs are included. The rocket armed aircrafts might have been more famous, but I prefer the bomb equipped ones for some reason...

- lot of details included, both inside and outside. Nice plates on the rear fuselage and am I right in seeing that the instrument panel finally has raised details ?

There are only a couple of things I'm not sure about:

- the flattened tyres are a nice touch from Airfix, but these look like tyres that have not been checked in a couple of years...

- the choice of subjects is a bit "conservative". The invasion stripes marked aircraft is of course an obvious choice, but for the other one I'd have liked something a bit more colorful. Some typhoon units used interesting markings in the last months of the war, one of these would have been a nice choice.

I'll leave any comment on panel lines until I have the kit in my hands. The thing that really interests me is if these are different between moving surfaces and panel lines proper, not much the absolute depth/width of the lines.

All in all looks like a kit that will end up in my stash soon

- the choice of subjects is a bit "conservative". The invasion stripes marked aircraft is of course an obvious choice, but for the other one I'd have liked something a bit more colorful. Some typhoon units used interesting markings in the last months of the war, one of these would have been a nice choice.

Ah, but this is only the initial "bog standard" release. Who knows what they have planned for the Dogfight Double, the Gift Set, etc, etc? (Answer: someone who was paying more attention at Cosford than I and who will no doubt shortly tell us!)

@WIP: thanks for the explanations. I already have the Pavla-Kit anyway, so I was just wondering if I should build it (apprently it' s not an easy kit), or spend a little money on the Airfix Tiffie and save me much work instead by using it as base for the car-door variant.

Alex

The gift set is a bog-standard December 1944 266 Sq - no stripes, overpainted tail trim -with rockets on the box art and bombs on the profile, which is understandable if probably not correct.

The Dogfight Double still shows grey aircraft in the artwork but identifies 247 Sq aircraft underside stripes and red spinner.

Wasn't at Cosford - checked Airfix site.

The majority of colourful Typhoon markings were applied after the war. I think 'F3-X' is a good choice as it is the aircraft in which Hugh Fraser claimed an Me262. It's markings are typical for 2ndTAF aircraft January to May 1945.

The other choice, ZY-Y, has a red/yellow spinner and a dramatic personal marking as well as the stripes.

Chris

The gift set is a bog-standard December 1944 266 Sq - no stripes, overpainted tail trim -with rockets on the box art and bombs on the profile, which is understandable if probably not correct.

Actually, it is correct Graham. 266 Sqn was one of the few units to use bombs and rockets in the last months of the war. 263 Sqn was another.

If they have the date as you quote - Dec 44 - that is incorrect. It should be c.April 45.

Chris

Generally speaking Airfix seem to get better with each new tool release. There appears to be a good level of detail for OOB builders, and is a good base for the super detailers.

There doesn't appear to be a pic of the transparent parts sprue though. I'm assuming there are parts for both open and closed canopies?

Cheers

OH MY !!!!!!!!!

RCAF!!!

And beautifully done by the looks of things - guess the Academy one will be going into the "I'll build this . . . whenever. . ." stash :D

Cheers,
Dave

Actually, it is correct Graham. 266 Sqn was one of the few units to use bombs and rockets in the last months of the war. 263 Sqn was another.

If they have the date as you quote - Dec 44 - that is incorrect. It should be c.April 45.

Chris

The info box just says 1944 - December I added given the absence of stripes on the assumption that the year was right. It may well be in the kit instructions, of course.

I hadn't realised any unit did both, because of the time taken to exchange the roles. Or was this one of the improvements when they moved the bombrack for the 1000lb? The position of the bombrack will be one of the details to look for when we do get our hands on the model.

I hadn't realised any unit did both, because of the time taken to exchange the roles. Or was this one of the improvements when they moved the bombrack for the 1000lb? The position of the bombrack will be one of the details to look for when we do get our hands on the model.

The bombrack is in the correct 1000lb position.

As far as I know there were no mods that facilitated RP/bomb switch overs. The 83 Group Wings (121, 124, 143) stayed dedicated to RP on bombs throughout the campaign. In 84 Group, 263 and 266 Sqns (146 Wing)and 183 sqn in 123 Wing, swapped stores in response to operational requirements; not on a daily basis but for weeks or months.

Chris