Typhoon/Tempest spinners and props

Chris Thomas

• 5 years later...

I came across this thread last year with interest, sometime when I was just starting out on my own personal Typhoon spinner obsession 😬

I'm sure Chris will know, but failing anything else, the restoration group at Uckfield certainly have a 4 blade spinner which will give at least a 'narrow end' baseplate diameter.

Just out of curiosity because of what you'd put here and to see how far off I am with my model and how far other plans might be out, I measured and scaled up the spinner baseplate  from the Airfix kit and the one in plans by Jacek Jackiewicz (I don't know his source of information) and they scale up to what represents a third of an inch of each other if it was full-sized, so it will be interesting to see how that matches with a proper measurement on the real thing.

While I was on my personal obsession trail, (thanks Chris for being patient with my strange semi-scientific experiments, - if you're reading - and for your valuable inputs and opinions), I noted some of the smaller things associated with Typhoon spinners, (besides the overall shape and size) and I've added it here for others to amend and change if they've got better and more accurate information. These were just based on patterns seen in photos and there will be exceptions.

These are very rough sketches, by the way, just to illustrate features and are not to scale and features may be exaggerated slightly.

One thing I hadn't seen mentioned anywhere was the yellow line marking seen near the root of the blade, where it comes out of the spinner, on the 4 bladed de-havilland types, so that's why I've included this here (and for interest/debate).

PASCgu.jpg

Cheers, Bob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Measurements for the 'Uckfield spinner'  (Typhoon DH 4 blade) are 824mm diameter at the base and length, base to tip including the rubber 'bung', 613 mm.  Cant find any docs with measurements.

CT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Really nice to read those dimensions. Thanks to Gingerbob and Troy for bringing up the thread again and thanks to Chris from me too. Using a crude metal rule, my 24th scale modded 3 to 4 blade spinner is measuring 34 across the base diameter (scales up to 816 - 8mm too narrow) and the length is 25.5 (612 scaled up) so that will do for me.