DHC-2 Beaver C-FAXI in 1/48th

I built this one back in 2004 following my very first trip to Canada and everso inspired me to recreate my flight from Vancouver to Phantom Lake up in the Cariboo Mountains of the Rockies. The trip was actually in C-FEBE that at the time belonged to Baxter Air Services, but as no decals exist of this now defunct operator, I settled on building the kit straight from the box and planting it on a base. The water effect was from a resin that took years to dry. Probably down to me not mixing it right! Rocks and stuff from my garden and the plank from a ice lolly! And a home made frame and base.
img2203gi.jpg

img2202ql.jpg

img2201.JPG

img2200q.jpg

img2199tv.jpg

img2198tg.jpg

There is some decal issue going on with some sections flaking and some 'crazing'. I don't know why this is. The flaking I can understand but the crazing :shrug: It has happened on a couple of other models in my collection.

PS: I came across C-FAXI a couple years later on my second visit. It was parked up at the base in Victoria harbour on Vancouver Island. I took a couple of photos and noticed a ver different window arrangement to the one on the model, and a variation to the colour scheme. More recently,not sure when, Harbour Air introduced yet another scheme!!

PPS: I know the 'water' looks a bit low. Maybe the stuff I used shrank or I can just say the tide is out.....

• Like 3

Snap. Flew on this machine around Vancouver Harbour in 2004 when I was working out there. I went out and bought the kit in a downtown shop with plans to build her immediately on my return. It has sat in the to do pile ever since.

Great work, the water looks fine to me.

thanks for the memories.

Edited by Silver Fox

There is so much to look at , not just the model but the whole diorama that i didnt really notice the decals. Fantastic !, everybit of it .

• Like 1

There is so much to look at , not just the model but the whole diorama that i didnt really notice the decals. Fantastic !, everybit of it .

Thanks. The logs Are twigs from my garden but chosen straight ones to illustrate Canadas 'logging' history

Great - float planes have a special appeal I think and with your base this one is really cool. Very nice! I love the plank.

I have one model in my collection where the decals crazed as well (Revell decals). Basecolour was Humbrol and clearcoat was Xtracolour, but on other models this worked fine. Jessica might be right but in my case this is unlikely as I left this model to dry for a week at least (yes there is a chance that the paint needed more time to fully cure). I never found a solution but it also never happend again. Keep fingers crossed.

For the benefit of John P and fatbaldbloke and others, its from the Hobbycraft kit. Issued around the alte 90's I think.

The base was a sheet of hardboard and some spare timber I had lying around at home. The 'beach' material is plaster and as mentioned gravel from the garden and coloured with mixes of water paints(not acrylic).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Paul

Really lovely finished aircraft.

Surely the serious question that you have failed to answer is what is the joke on the underside of the icelolly stick or gang plank as you prefer. I could have read it in the waters reflection if the tide hadn't gone out !

Cheers Pat

Great model, one small point , there is no tether to stop the aircraft from floating away.

Tony

The reason theree is no tether is I was trying to depict my trip in a Beaver (not CFAXI)up to a lake. We only stopped for about 10 minutes as the weather was closing in and we had to make a hasty exit from the lake back down to Vancouver!! So no time to tether!