HobbyBoss 1/48 Me262 A1a/U5

Built for the Battle for the Third Reich Group Build, I though I'd put a few extra pictures in here. There is a build thread here.

The HobbyBoss kit was really nice, not much fettling was needed. Some of the sprue attachment point were a bit gargantuan though, which was a pain when trying to cut off some of the smaller bits.

DSCF2720_zps5c4cd71f.jpg

I left the nose panels removable, so as to see into the nice detail that they put in the gun bays. The nose wheel bay is a white metal part, intended to keep it from being a tail sitter. It j-u-s-t works, but a strong breeze will put her on her behind. I packed the very tip of the nose with blu-tak to help, but there isn't much room anywhere else in the nose for ballast, if you're keeping all the fiddly gun bay bits open to the world.

DSCF2764_zps30ccf1b5.jpg
DSCF2759_zps4393b092.jpg

DSCF2756_zps964cf870.jpg

DSCF2751_zpsc5a80b38.jpg

DSCF2750_zps606c43ad.jpg

DSCF2747_zps3d233f86.jpg

DSCF2745_zpse8a26c6e.jpg

DSCF2743_zps7bd9b141.jpg

DSCF2741_zps0578514f.jpg
DSCF2728_zpsc989f8a8.jpg

Chris

• Like 3

Quite a superb build, excellent mottling of which I'm envious! Very nice work, I'm a big fan of these kits and it's good to see them built, especially to your high standard.

Cheers guys.

Mick, I agree, that left hand wheel is slightly on the wonk, more noticeable in the head on shots. I think getting the undercarriage square and true is one of my weak areas. :chair:

Nigel, for chipping I start with a silver undercoat, and scrape back to that with a sharp blade once the top colour coat is on. I've tried adding chipping over a top coat before by using silver pencil & paint, but it has never looked as good to me as 'real' chipping with a blade. The drawback with my method is that it's fairly destructive - it's not as easy as correcting the chipping done with a silver pencil, which can usually be rubbed off (before it is sealed with a clear coat). On the plus side I find that I can achieve finer results with the tip of a blade than with a pencil or paint brush - when seen through the camera lens my paint blobs and pencil marks look too big and messy. I also try to keep the chipping to a minimum, for most subjects my tastes tend towards the 'less is more' approach.

I rushed things a bit towards the end, as I knew that the GB ends soon, and I wouldn't have any free time to work on her. Not a bad end result though, I'm pretty pleased.

Chris