++ FINISHED PHOTOS ++ - 1/48 Eduard Sukhoi Su-17M3 "Fitter"

trickyrich

The gun plates aren't included (had to run and check then...), I think they should have, easy to fit and one of the most noticeable features on the 7/17/20/22 series.

The pods and bit are all Aires Aero Bonus, form a seller in China, cheap when postage added. Don't look like knockoffs, unlike my flaps&slats mod kit!!! Only issue is that the decals are a bit damaged in two sets, not a real big issue.

I've got the other boxing, maybe the PE is different....or maybe I'm thinking of the Part PE set....or maybe I dreamt it! Ill check later, not that it really matters as you've done a great job of making them!

gee it would have been good if they were part of the kit......

Have been working on the undercarriage and wheel wells. All are quite horrible, have added detail to the main bays and started fitting the undercarriage, more work to be spent there.

Cleaned up the gun ports nice and smooth now, need to be repainted.

Also started looking at the weapon pylons, not so great looking and weapons fit is..........

So off came the lower parts of the pylons, will make new mounts from scratch. These will be pinned for refitting once the actual stores are fitted, better solution.

Actually wished I'd thought of that before I did all the painting!

Will gloss everything up tomorrow....with luck, thats unless I find something else to cut off/modify!

ok final update before I head off for another couple of weeks.

And yes I did manage to find something to cut up and modify, so no gloss coat today! :winkgrin:

Lots of work done in different areas, pretty well finished off making the new pylons, looking good. Worked on the weapons, painted some, messed around with others but all coming along nicely.

Fitted the leading edge flaps to the wings, so construction wise they’re finished, clear coats, decals, and weathering left to do.

DSCF0865_zpsb74898f3.jpg

DSCF0866_zpsbc4be378.jpg

Just put wings into slots, they're not correctly fitted, just wanted to get an idea of how they will look. Same goes for canopy an instrument shroud...and yes I have finally painted it.

DSCF0870_zps294059be.jpg

Again inner flaps and tail fitted just to see how it all looks.

DSCF0868_zps2c448128.jpg

Played with undercarriage, what a bugger of a job the main gear is, spent/wasted more time pinning and trying to align, think it’s sorted now.....better be! It’s just about the completely articulate and if it had springs inside the legs would be fully work.....what waste of time, nothing fits and the instructions are hopeless. :rant: You really need to have good reference photo’s to get it right, I really wish there was aftermarket stuff!!

DSCF0869_zps3711320f.jpg

Now just have to position control arms correctly and it's all done.

Next decided to have a look at both probes on the nose, glade I did because they are wrong too! Spent too long trying to get the kit one to fit as per drawings I had, it wasn’t until I looked at photo’s of the actual probe that I gave up and started to make my own. The model and instructions would have you believe that both probes are straight and just glue on. This is completely wrong, both probes do point straight ahead as they come away from the fuselage but their probe bodies run off at an angle that follows the fuselage contours. The only way to achieve this correctly is to make these bodies from scratch. That probes will be cut to the correct length and pinned for later fitment.

The paint job is starting to look a bit worst for wear and I haven't even started to weather it, all looking very nice, will actually do some serious weathering/chipping of the paint before the gloss coat....that will be fun! :D Can't actually wait to do the proper weathering as I think it will make the whole model "POP" if I get it right! :pray:

Think I’m going to need two weeks away from this to recover! Really there are just little fiddly bits to sort out now as all the major work has been sorted out. Am really happy with how everything is coming along, with its size it will be very impressive!

It's looking really good for all the hardwork, weathering is my favourite part, brings it to life!

I've nicked your picture if the gear fitted as a reference for mine!!

trust me you'll need it!!! Can give you better shots if you need them, but you'll have to wait a couple of weeks though!

Have now got all sorts of info on it, so if you need anything just let me know. Carry all my info when I go away....gives me something to read on those boring days! :tumble:

Hmmm

these pylons are a bit nerve wrecking indeed!

good choice to glue them on before the outer wings, and heads up with detailing the pylons themselves! they really deserve it ;)

I really admire your flap work!!!!!

I really admire your flap work!!!!!

the only reason I ended up going to that level is, as usual I started cutting and fitting things before I had a good look at what I had gotten myself into!!

I suspect a proper Cutting Edge Flaps & Slats mod kits would have been much better then the dodgy "Blunt Edge" one I bought!

A good learning exercise though.

• 3 weeks later...

Just quick update.

Though there doesn’t seem to have been much done, good progress has been made.

Finished off the majority of the painting, just minor bits and some touch-ups to do.

Finished off the cockpit, had to remake control stick because I found a better photo which show my replacement to the dodgy kit item was just a dodgy, plus finished and fitted ejector seat. Masked up canopy, then remembered to fit mirrors, then managed to superglue mirrors in the wrong spot.........now one canopy slightly foggy! :doh: It’s not that bad, will see if I can recover it, have masked up second “open” canopy for painting and this can use if need be. Was intending to keep cockpit closed to keep dust bunnies away!

Compressor finally died after the forth rebuild of the day so had to buy a new one!

Finally got to gloss up everything and started the decaling process, wow there’s lots to do! Kit decals are lovely, still used setting solution as once completely settled I will have to go an remove the bits of decals covering over my chipped bits of paint.

DSCF0871_zps7c02c4b6.jpg

Looks terrible in these photos, think it's the gloss coat, in real life it looks awesome!

DSCF0872_zps6dc4a981.jpg

Underside looks a bit boring, it will really benefit from washes.

In between all this I did some work on the weapons plus and spend 1 ½ very frustrating hours trying to add the PE bits to the pitot tube!!! :hypnotised:

DSCF0873_zps381cdee9.jpg

Gun pods will be mounted pointing backwards!

DSCF0875_zpsd5af6350.jpg

Oh and after fitting all the vanes I decided modify the mount so that it would fit and sit correctly on the aircraft, talk about doing things backwards!

The now seems in sight. Will lay a matt coat on later this afternoon so as tomorrow I can start the process of washes and weathering. Should also have most of the weapons and maybe pylons completed today as well.

It's looking the mutts nuts! I love the idea of the gun pods facing backwards, a good idea but I wonder how accurate they were...

Don't think they were especially worried about accuracy.

Can imagine you'd sort of lose interest in the aircraft pretty dam quick once it had passed over, especially with it firing four 23mm cannons back towards you!

ok just a couple of more photos, have finished the matt coat and just had to take a couple more.

Will attack the surface with micro-fiber cloth to knock a bit of the matt finish off plus help smooth out the paint, though the original plastic surface was textured and not smooth.

DSCF0876_zpsa3447da9.jpg

Wings and other bits just fitted to see how it will look.

DSCF0877_zps818eab93.jpg

Looking nice and worn, now just crying out for washes and weathering.

DSCF0878_zpsbf11b38f.jpg

Next update should have the washes/weathering done and wings fitted and maybe air brakes.

Weapons; just have to finish S-25 rockets and paint R-60's, then fit to pylons.

Undercarriage; a bit more work but all the major bits done.

Pylons; paint/detail/fit

.........plus all the little bits, with luck only a few more days work.

nearly there

Have made some significant progress and the end is very near......for this project anyway!

All the major painting and works are done.

Now just to tidy up everything and not break too many bits in the process.

Weapons pylons are complete and just have the decaling to be done, as mentioned early everything has had to be pinned to ensure it all goes together correctly. Think I have spent more time over these past few days going over reference photos that I have for the whole project. Unfortunately I keep finding more things that should be corrected or added but I had to draw the line somewhere else this beasty will never get finished.

DSCF0881_zps97450f71.jpg

DSCF0884_zps9ed48ffe.jpg

DSCF0882_zps1be45529.jpg

DSCF0883_zps71680702.jpg

The backdrop was a good idea at the time but...........

She looks nice and grubby and well used, though finding photos of the Naval Aviation aircraft has been really hard. The finishes on air force aircraft were either nice and clean (just for the propaganda photos) or quite well worn in operational photo, this is the look I’m after.

Just a little bit more to go and we’re done. Next update will be the completed beasty!

it's finished and looks awesome!!!! :yahoo:

photos and details once the sun's up and I can get some decent photos, plus I will add to the gallery at the same time.

Think this is one of my best builds so far...........but boy what a job to get it to this stage!

Am a bit excited that it's finished........but you'll have to wait for the photos, plus the canopy is now open. :wicked:

Ok here are the photos.

I was hoping for a nice sunny day to take the photos, but unfortunately it’s a bit grey here today. The sun did pop out for a few minutes after the first lot of photos were taken so I was only able to take a couple.

The last few days were a bit of a rush to get this completed as I’m off again tomorrow for two weeks, so would have missed the closing date.

I loved this build, would have to be one of the toughest so far, with the “flaps n slats” kit just plain horrible, so much work to get them right. The whole model was a bit of a labour of love, but in the end I think it was worth it. From not knowing too much about these aircraft, I find myself now adding to my list of absolute favourites. It’s such a beast of an aircraft that it reminds me in a lot of ways of a F105 Thunderchief, big single engine monsters!

I do so wish some manufacturer would produce a new up-to-date version, plus fix up the rear fuselage so you can build one with the Tumanskiy R29BS-300 engine (Su-22M3). The Eduard version do require quite a lot of work to produce something that is accurate, but it is worth the time an effort, am almost tempted to build another one.....maybe!

Anyway, thanks for following this build plus all the nice comments along the way. Please enjoy the photos.

Rich

DSCF0908_zps59142630.jpg

DSCF0900_zps638dd587.jpg

DSCF0911_zps1dac66bd.jpg

DSCF0902_zpsa9228cdf.jpg

DSCF0909_zpsb0375e21.jpg

DSCF0920_zps622454fd.jpg

DSCF0907_zps46be7eaf.jpg

• Like 2

Fantastic!

Random question - arent the gunpods facing the wrong way?? The barrels are pointing backwards?

No they pointing correctly, they could be mounted facing either way. Mounted like this it deterred any one from shooting back at them as they flew over head, cool idea as long as you weren't at the receiving end!!!

Very nice indeed! That's a great model of a subject that we don't see enough of! Great work on all those fiddly bits - and the gun pods had me going for a while, too. Crazy idea, might just work! Cool! :)

Cheers,

Bill

For those interested heres a picture of one of these pods (SPPU-22) fitted in the reverse direction on a Luftwaffe Su-22 M4.

SPPU-22GunPodFitted_zps2d74cf9b.jpgi

image courtesy of www.b-domke.de/AviationImages

gosh, can see even more detail I should have added!!!!

• Like 1