1/32nd Heinkel He219A-2

After battling with various vacform builds and getting a little bogged down with endless scratch-building etc. I fancied building something 'out of the box', and after treating myself to this a few months back I decided it was just what I needed for a 'refresh'.

This is the first large scale Luftwaffe aircraft I have built, and although not usually my topic of choice, having seen the real thing in Washington last year I fell in love with the 'ugliness' of this aircraft and the sinister look it possesses.

This kit has been built 'as it comes' from Revell, and I must say it has been a very enjoyable and trouble free build. It has taken about two weeks from start to finish.

The mouldings are beautiful, with very fine panel detail and plenty of internal detail too, including individual decals for the flight instruments. I have made no additions to this kit, apart from some seat-belt buckles from the spares box - a closed canopy and careful painting has been sufficient to represent the seat-belts.

I did also modify the undercarriage slightly as it Revell have produced the gear as un-weighted, so I shortened the oleos by 2mm on the mains and 3mm on the nose and re-attached them after drilling them and adding some wire. This has captured the sit of real aircraft well I think.

I found the fit of the parts excellent on the whole, with only a small bit of filling needed where the nacelles join the wing just forward of the leading edge. Everything else literally falls together. The radar aerials are very finely moulded and although there are aftermarket replacements available, I didn't see the need.

Decals were equally superb, going on without issue - even the spinner decals! I raided the spares box for the tail fin swastikas, but other than that it's as they come.

Painting was completed with Xtracolour enamels from Hannants using a Badger 200 airbrush. I sprayed the RLM76 as a base coat, then added 'blotches' of the darker RLM75. These were then blended together with a further application of RLM76 between the blotches to achieve the lattice-like pattern of the camouflage. The undersides were then sprayed 'Night black'. Finally, a couple of coats of Humbrol Matt varnish finished the job. I haven't seen many of these built with the black undersides yet; I think it adds to the overall 'sinister effect' of the aircraft.

One word of warning with this kit though - add as much nose weight as possible! Revell suggest 70g in the nose and 25g in each engine nacelle - I added approx. 80g in the front and 30g to each engine and it only just sits on it's nose wheel... be warned!

On to the photo's:

Heinkel He219A-2 of 1./NJG 1, Sylt, Germany, April 1945.

S1030609.jpg

(Yes I know - I need to paint the 'flat spots' on the tyres!

S1030617.jpg

S1030618.jpg

S1030620.jpg

S1030625.jpg

S1030628.jpg

My advice: if you haven't got this kit yet then buy it, and if you have it in your stash then build it!

Tom

• Like 1

Great job, it really is a nice kit, like you I built one of these as an OOB build, in my case to get the modelling juices flowing again as I was getting a bit jaded, but they sure are big !

Cheers

Dennis

Kept this quiet Tom!! I've not been on the forum for the past few weeks, massive work overload! So if I missed a WIP then, you know ;)

Looks absolutely superb though! :)

(Will message you about the engines too, I forgot about Cosford.. :( )

Thanks for the kind words chaps...

You built that in two weeks?? What am I doing wrong? Words fail me, ...superb.

Nigel

The joys of being a teacher... a nice long Easter break :)

Kept this quiet Tom!! I've not been on the forum for the past few weeks, massive work overload! So if I missed a WIP then, you know ;)

Looks absolutely superb though! :)

(Will message you about the engines too, I forgot about Cosford.. :( )

Hi mate,

I didn't do a WIP as just wanted to get on with this build - no time to stop and take pictures!

I didn't make it to Cosford either, engines are still here ready for you.

The 219 ugly! well thats the first time I've heard someone call it that, sinister yes but I can't agree with you that its ugly.

Shall we settle on' looks only a mother could love' then? ;)

Tom