1/72 Hasegawa F-111C

Hi guys,

This is what I was up to with my RAAF F-111 build.

New IP as the kit is a decal only.
2012_11_23_3826.JPG

Intake trunking
2012_11_23_3813.JPG

Cut the pilots canopy open to show off the work inside.
2012_11_23_3824.JPG

New throttles...actually the kit doesn't have any to replace.
2012_11_27_3958.JPG

All dressed up and ready for the canopy.
2012_11_27_3952.JPG

Will have these...
2012_11_23_3823.JPG

...hanging off these
Photo_3-12-12_10_09_19_PM.jpg

Main wheel well...the central ducting has been repainted black as the red is incorrect...thanks Pappy.
2012_11_23_3817.JPG

Over wing seal from Tamiya tape.
Photo_4-12-12_9_32_26_PM.jpg

Verlinden boarding ladder
after.jpg

Primed
7.jpg

First round of colour went down over the weekend. Gunze Acrylics thinned with Mr Color Lacquer thinner....nice and smoooze! Touch ups have since been applied but I'm really happy with how the paint went down.
4.jpg

6.jpg

1.jpg

Such a shame to have them gone. I'd always look skywards whenever the distant rumble of a TF-30 shook the landscape around Ippy.

Hope you like her.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by Mick Drover
  • Like 4

Nice start Mick, one day I will build a couple of mine...

Have you assembled the intake trunk differently to rid of a seam?

:thumbsup:

Thanks Ray!

I have assenbled it differently. The kit instructions have you add the trunking to the lower fuselage piece first and then slide the the splitter plate and shock cone in at a later point. By doing it this way the seam can be eliminated and a nice gloss white paint can be applied.

Now that is going to be a sharp looking scheme! Which squadron markings are you doing it in?

Cheers,

Thanks Screech.

It will be a 1 Squadron jet (A8-127) but in it's just arrived scheme from the US. Kinda like a here's our latest and greatest with a typical warload for the period. The bombs will be inert so it will add some more colour again. As it will be in it's delivery scheme there won't be the yellow lightning bolt on the tail and it's pre Pave-Tack and AUP so the gun fairing is installed.

Similar to this photo F_111_A8_127a.jpg

Cheers

Mick

• Like 1

Your camouflage edges look like they’re spot on. What technique did you use? Blu-tak? Paper masks? Free hand???

Thanks stf. I used paper masks with blu tack as the adhesive to hold the mask slightly off the model surface. I took the Hasegawa plans and scanned them then scaled them appropriately and printed them. I then took a swivel blade scalpel and went to work! Super thin paint through a H&S Infinity with a .15 needle and with very light multiple applications resulted in the finish you see here.

• Like 1

Thanks Screech.

It will be a 1 Squadron jet (A8-127) but in it's just arrived scheme from the US. Kinda like a here's our latest and greatest with a typical warload for the period. The bombs will be inert so it will add some more colour again. As it will be in it's delivery scheme there won't be the yellow lightning bolt on the tail and it's pre Pave-Tack and AUP so the gun fairing is installed.

Similar to this photo F_111_A8_127a.jpg

Cheers

Mick

That will look great! Looking forward to seeing it when it's done!

Cheers,

Good work Mick, thanks for the extra info. I'm keeping an eye on your build as I've got a pretty large stash of Hasegawa F-111C's & am still really quite afraid of the early camouflage scheme. I can't paint them all 36118 either!

I do miss seeing the old buses out at Amberley. The Hornets just aren’t the same. When I'm out there training with our MWD (refer avatar at left) they’re always in the circuit at about 500ft over the dog unit rattling the windows every 30 seconds…

Good work Mick, thanks for the extra info. I'm keeping an eye on your build as I've got a pretty large stash of Hasegawa F-111C's & am still really quite afraid of the early camouflage scheme. I can't paint them all 36118 either!

I do miss seeing the old buses out at Amberley. The Hornets just aren’t the same. When I'm out there training with our MWD (refer avatar at left) they’re always in the circuit at about 500ft over the dog unit rattling the windows every 30 seconds…

You're right about the Supers. They're a cool piece of kit but rather uninspiring. I take it your an SEQ/Ipswich local then if you're at Amberley? I'm at Mt Crosby? Happy to give you some tips re the camo if you like. It's pretty straight forward when you see it done.

Cheers

Pick

Mick

Hi again Mick, I'm at Rochedale South on the southside but am out at Amberley every couple of weeks for training with the dog, hence the observations of the grey, noisy things continually passing overhead.

Edited by stfmodels

Very nice!

Brings a tear to the eye...........they were such a lovely beast. I have probably seen this baby plenty of times and never noticed.....the blue lightning bolt ones were the best!!! :P

You're doing a great job can't wait to see the finished beast.

Thanks guys. I promise to have an update over the weekend!

Nice job Mick!

Loved the idea of using Tamiya tape for the wing seal! Never thought about it!! Loks really nice.

Cheers

Serelle

I think it's the one of the problems with the kit Serelle. The other two items I'd love to see Hasegawa add to the kit are the chaff and flare fairings for the AUP and the Pave Tack in the stored position.

Cheers

Mick

• 4 weeks later...
G'day all,

Some recent progress on the F-111 had me mask and paint the no walk lines and air refuelling receptacle guide. It's much better than the kit decals provided particulalry the slab sized ones that go over the entire wing. What were Hasegawa thinking? They managed to manufacturer individual lines for the fuselage but the wings have these awful one piece units that cover the enitre wing and include the upper roundel...DERP.

Anyway a few hours invested and the end result is much better...don't ya think???

Colours are Gunze acrylic with lacquer thinner.

Photo%25206-05-13%25208%252046%252055%25

Photo%25206-05-13%25208%252047%252011%25

Photo%25206-05-13%25208%252047%252022%25

Photo%25206-05-13%25208%252049%252028%25

Hope you like it. Comments/critique appreciated.

Cheers

Mick

Great progress Mick,

Your work on the camouflage is impressive enough, but the walkway lines are especially good. I'm keeping notes as you go and I'm pleased to see this most recent update.

My cunning plan to replace Hasegawa's awful decals involves the use of slim black decal stripe, but I doubt that I could achieve the precision you've demonstrated here. Great result!

Cheers,

Andrew.

I really like what you have done with the good old Hasegawa kit, just one note. I think it will look much better if you do some weathering with oils/pastels. It will give it a more realistic finnish.

What do you think?

Cheers

Sernak