Fokker D.VII(F) - 1:32 Wingnut Wings

Viking

Fokker D.VII(F)

1:32 Wingnut Wings

DVIIF-1.jpg

The latest release from Wingnut Wings continues their theme of the superlative Fokker D.VII series, covering the D.VII(F). This was the designation given to those aircraft fitted with the BMW IIIa engine, often referred to as the 'high altitude' engine. Supplies of the BMW engine were strained towards the end of the war so most went directly to the Fokker factory, where those aircraft fitted with them were given the (F) suffix. Albatros and OAW also received a limited number but no such identification was given to their D.VII's.

Fokker D.VII(F)'s were the most coveted of fighters amongst the German aircrews as it was the hottest of the hottest aircraft, with most seeming to have gone to JG.1 'Richthofen' Ernst Udet, Herman Goering, Georg von Hantelmann and Bruno Loerzer being amongst the most prominent aces to receive them.

The Wingnut Wings kits have been reviewed on Britmodeller previously, so it was with some interest that this latest release was received. Most of the contents are common with the sprues in the Fokker D.VII(Fok) boxing, but there is a complete new sprue covering the BMW IIIa engine, and typically for Wingnuts, a new sprue for appropriate engine cowlings. I have built and modified a number of 1:48 Eduard D.VII's often having to cut out my own cooling gills on the cowling parts, as these were
often field modifications. No need to do that here, Wingnuts have moulded them all for you as extra parts. Interestingly one set of them are greyed out on the sprue map, so there may yet be more releases to come.

Having already built the D.VII(Fok) boxing I can confirm that it is well up to the high standard set by Wingnut Wings. The instruction booklet is a complete reference document in itself with clear assembly drawings, and a particular favourite of mine, drawings of completed sub assemblies so you can see how each section should look after assembly. Add to this colour photographs of various details of full sized machines and you have instructions that have never been bettered by any other manufacturer.

Sprue A contains most of the interior fittings and other small parts.

DVIIF-sprue-a.jpg

Sprue B has the fuselage halves and interior tubular framework, along with the beautifully moulded three way struts for the forward wing mounts.

DVIIF-sprue-b.jpg

Sprue C hold the two optional windscreens.

DVIIF-sprue-c.jpg

Sprue E is for the BMW IIIa engine with a choice of Heine or Axial propellers. Attached to its is Sprue G with the optional cowlings with extra cooling gills.

DVIIF-sprue-e-g.jpg

Detail of the upper crankcase.

DVIIF-sprue-e-det.jpg

Sprue F holds the upper wing.

DVIIF-sprue-f.jpg

Sprue H has the tailplane and lower wings.

DVIIF-sprue-h.jpg

Sprue I has other cowling elements and the axle wing.

DVIIF-sprue-i.jpg

Finally there is a photo etched sheet with seat belts and machine gun jackets.

DVIIF-sprue-p.jpg

As usual there are five beautiful marking options offered in the kit, the choice of which is agonisingly difficult as they are all so nice.

A. F 460/18, Eric Just, Jasta 11, August 1918.
DVIIF-OPT1.jpg

B. F 501/18 Red'W', Jasta 26, November 1918.
DVIIF-OPT2.jpg

C. F 4253/18, Ernst Udet, Jasta 4, September 1918. (An interesting aside, Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown, the famous test pilot, had his first experience of flying by being taken up in a Bucker Jungmann by Enst Udet in the 1936).
DVIIF-OPT3.jpg

D. F 4330/18 Egon Koepsch?, Jasta 4, August 1918.
DVIIF-OPT4.jpg

E. Unknown, Karl Boelle, Jasta 2, November 1918.
DVIIF-OPT5.jpg

The kit contains a full set of 4 colour lozenge decal for all the options, note how faded lozenge is supplied for the interior of the cockpit.

DVIIF-dec1.jpg

DVIIF-dec3.jpg

DVIIF-dec4.jpg

[Edit] There is also a supplementary decal sheet avaialable with five more options.Reviewed here [/Edit]

Conclusion.

This is another superb release by Wingnut Wings that has everything you could wish for to create a stunning model. They are not kits to be rushed, and why would you want to? Each stage builds up into satisfying sub assemblies that come together to create an exceptional whole.

Detail from my earlier build of the Fokker D.VII(Fok)

Gabriel12.jpg

Yes the fuselages can be a tight fit to put together because there is so much in them, but take care and align everything and it will all work out. The bugbear of struts and wings is all taken care of, such is the precision of these mouldings that it is an absolute doddle. Its World War 1 modelling made easy for the average modeller, especially with the D.VII as there is almost no rigging.

Highly Recommended.

Review sample courtesy of
logo.gif

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Tempted by the lack of rigging.

How are the lozenge decals to apply?

John,

The Lozenge decals were straightforward. Thay are supplied in wing shape sections ready to go on. The only thing I would recommend is that you paint the wings first so that they have something to key on to. I use dark green for the top and pale blue underneath.

Ther is my build log Here showing what I mean. Just scroll down a bit.

If you don't fancy tackling the lozenge, Rowan at Pheon decals does a lovely set for the Jasta 18 'Ravens' which don't need them. In fact they are a great choice anyway. have a look

It's a lovely kit, as all Wingnuts are, Have a go at one. Take your time and build it steadily, and you'll have a beautiful model.

Cheers

John

• Like 1