Revell MAN 7t mil gl 6x6 Truck

Hi,

I had a go at a military truck mainly because I really like the look of these trucks. I have to say that I had a great time building this. It's a lot more fun than aircraft. Especially the end when I got to let loose with the Flory Model washes. Great fun. As you can see, I haven't quite got the weathering and washes right, but for a first attempt ... man I'm happy! :thumbsup:

The only change I did to the kit as it came in the box was to cut off the canopy (Revell provide the kit so that the cargo area is covered with a canopy). I then cut the individual opening panels and added the tubing at the top of each.

There are many really good modellers on this forum, please, feel free to offer suggestions as to how I can make the wash/weathering look better.

tr4.jpg

tr3.jpg

tr2.jpg

tr1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Gary

• Like 2

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I do have a question for you.

If you look at the wash in the first photo (the head on shot), the wash has dried like drops of water. How do I prevent that?

I did not put any gloss varnish/Klear on the kit before painting the wash. I was using Revell Olive Drab, which does seem to dry more satin than matt.

Have any of you come across this before? If yes, how do you counter it? My initial thought was to put some matt varnish on but that would just create a bucket full of different problems.

Thanks for your time,

Gary

Try using a cotton bud dipped in water but not soaked to tone down the effect and drag the mud in the directions you want !!! Tyr checking out a few pics on the net to see how the mud gathers in the areas of the real truck !!!!!! If you haven't sealed the model yet, you should find the weathering is still mobile enough to work !!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

A flat brush lightly dipped with thinner (not used flory washes - are they acrylic? If so water) should be able to manipulate the washes again. Great effort though, take your time if you do try and work on the weathering again!

I'd also say drag the wash in the direction you'd expect the dirt to gather, i.e. vertically with your brush rather than horizontally so it collects in the nooks and crannies it would be on the real thing.,

Good job though!

Another tip would be to put a lot of the weathering in the treads of the tyres ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, then gently rub the top of the tread pattern all round until you clean the running surface and leave the amount of mud you want in between the treads !!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes less is more !!!!!!!!! By that I mean you can take off a lot of the mud and still have a very effective ,,,,,,,, muddy vehicle !!!!!!!!!!! If the truck is doing heavy off roading the wheels would have lots of dirt too , but the roof and cargo deck would surprisingly still survive with lots of very clean areas so possibly less mud overall !!!!!!! Also mud guards are normally very effective at keeping much of the mud contained unless the truck is driven through mud holes and then you might see tide lines !!!!!!!! But again ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, less is more effectve !!!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

Thank you very much everyone! All your advice is greatly appreciated.

Houston: :D

Nige: I haven't sealed it yet so I'll give it another go this afternoon. And thank you for the less is more tip.

Jonas_415 : yes, flory washes are acrylic. And I will take my time next time.

I did a small area and was so wowed by the efect that I practically bathed the vehicle in wash over the next hour or so :doh:

This was a good learning curve though. The other thing I've noticed is that the silver showing under the 'chipped paint' (I used the salt method ... and overdid it a bit) looks too silver under the 'dust'. I'm guessing that that's just a case of taking my time and getting a small brush and treating each chip with some rust pigment/wash ... and maybe using slightly darkened silver next time. (?)

Once again, thanks for the help.

Cheers

Gary

• Like 2

Looks great Gary, I agree with what the guys have said, I always build layers a little at a time and manipulate them as i go great that you are experimenting and have fun trying out different techniques.