Piper L-4 Cub.

Found this that might be a bit different to start with. And quick!

img2092qs.jpg

It won't be a super detailed job. Just straight from the box. And maybe on a suitable base.

Paul,

to turn that L4 into a J3 you'll need to fill the rear windows on the sides with a shaped piece and on the roof upto a point that leaves a skylight only.

Just doing the same on a SMER 48th one.

Good luck,

Martin

Title header may be not quite right I know. Its just a designation that came to my head applicable to the little Piper so I won't be pedantic about it. :winkgrin:

It'll be straight from the box with no mods. Maybe some improvements though.

Final scheme may well be the civvy Polish one as per kit. Not sure of the overall silver dope colour though as suggested on box.

img2204a.jpg

Just a little done (Almost half considering the size and content of the kit!). A bit more later this week time permitting.

• 2 weeks later...

A bundle of pics showing progress of the Piper Cub I'm working on.

img2291gq.jpg

img2296d.jpg

img2297yb.jpg

img2298ee.jpg

img2299fx.jpg

Assembling and fitting the floats was a fiddly job! Had no end of fun with it in trying to get it place!!

img2300rd.jpg

img2301oy.jpg

img2302ev.jpg

That square piece of 'wrinkly stuff is a piece of material that I use to work with at a previous job and is a polymer of high shrink. The sample was to test the shrink rate. At the time I thought it would make a good representation of water for a base. Found it among some stuff in a tidy up and so am going to try it.

img2304lz.jpg

• Like 1

Just been going through some images via google looking for inspiring pics of the Cub and on floats. Not many found but one thing I have noticed is that the KP instructions mislead one to attach the float struts to the fuselage in the wrong place. So I need to gingerly free the floats from the fuselage and set them back slightly further aft so that the wing struts are midway between the float struts! This seems to be standard on all the pictures of Cubs on floats that I could find.

But I'm still looking for an attractive scheme. The kit decals look to be a bit 'iffy'!!

Photos here of a comparison showing the size between a Beaver and the CUb for the benefit of Cliff and others.

I opted for a yellow paint job but might still change it. It was silver after the grey primer but the Vallejo paint I use never seems to dry and feels tacky to the touch. Even worse was the decals. I'm not going to try and explain but... what a mess!!!.... I brushed on Klear but needed to brush in well as the paint lifted with it. Airbrushing the klear didn't work well either. Looked awful. So airbrushed the Humbrol yellow 69. For now!

img2313r.JPG

img2312p.jpg

img2315wy.jpg

This last image is after I shifted the float assembly aft a few mill.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Its gone a bit quiet on this one as I concentrated on the CL-215. But a bit more progress and a colour change plus the base in progress.

img2633jq.jpg

Hi Doug.

Can't help you with link for the 'wrinkly ' stuff. There isn't one. The material I used was stuff that I worked with in my last job. Its a high shrink mylar or poly something film used for insulating caps for electrical things. My job was to test materials before they were used on the production line, in a oven and tested for shrinkage at high heat values. At the time I could see a use for the test samples as they were thrown away afterwards. The square piece of material was about 9inch square before and shrank to about 6-7 inches square after....and wrinkly edges too! I may have a spare one still if you're interested.

Paul.

• 4 weeks later...

As its getting near to the end of this GB, I thought I'd better get this finished(So much for me saying a 'quick one'). Changed from yellow to cream(Humbrol Ivory) and Civil German registration. A bit fictional for this model but the reg was applied to a prewar type. A Hummel or something. The decals were in my spares box and they fitted. Saved me a lot of bother in trying to find an authentic finish. Final pics of it fitted to its base and any other detail by the end of week... hopefully.

cwpl.jpg

07bl.jpg

Its finished! Images all in the Gallery!

0dil.jpg

The 'planks' were the only way I could dress the display to try and make it interesting within the materials I had to hand. I could and would have done more but time and not having suitable stuff meant I needed to finish as is.

The planks are 'repair' boards for the jetty in this setting.

Loving the plane in the gallery Paul, but I don't think it's a Piper Cub! :)

Photobucket? I was just having problems with it posting pics that I wasn't looking at!

Edit : Ah, that's better

:innocent: Regardless of its many type designations, its still a Cub to me. OR... as its not an Army one (Grasshopper as it was known by the US) perhaps I should call it a Pondskater as its on floats. :winkgrin:

Further to the civvy reg I used, it was from a Siebel Hummel. The kit was by AML. And, taking into consideration that the German civvy register re uses reg numbers and the same can appear o different aircraft at differrent times, I thought the one I used appropriate as it is a range that is currently in use nowadays. Whether 'DFQ' ever appeared on a Cub is open to research. BUt for my model, It was an excuse to use up some spare decals regardless of authenticity and accuracy. Purely my own whim.

Thast OK Doug! :thumbsup2: Your post obviously ended up in the wrong thread. Agreed about the Sea Fury. But in the Critical Mass thread its still known by that. Hard to give it a type name unless one just adopts the race name!

See this:

http://www.seafury10.com/

and this:

http://aafo.com/racing/2006/critical_mass/

Meanwhile back to float planes, Mine is done.