English Electric P.10 (SR2)

Thanks guys, the comments are very welcome as always. Can't help feeling that a Fireflash might just look rather good in this scheme...............hang on ..............I'll have to dig out my Aoshima one !! :wicked:

even my clapped out Peugeot 306. though it belches that much black smoke

So that's why you like the old Vulcan so much Rob, wondered why yours was the last car to leave the car park yesterday :shutup: !!!

I think that these paper aeroplanes should be subject to a review by a design team familiar with modern aero and thermo dynamics to see how practical they might have been!

John

Hello Mr General Sir! If you don't mind me saying, the Overstrand looks positively normal in comparison to this one! And so much more streamlined too and more economic what with only the two engines (and built in braking system).

Seriously though, this is fab, and you do have a somewhat eclectic taste in subjects!

Look forward to the next 'weird'.

All the best old chap, regards from Ray.

PS you have whetted my appetite for vacforms and am on the lookout for some (like the Blackburn Iris or something). Hannants have plenty at the moment but I am still looking elsewhere.

Thanks folks,

John, the most influential and limiting factor in these designs was of course the technology of the day, (in this case the fifties), the engine tech, the solid state avionics, metallurgy and relatively little amount of data about how these machines would behave in hypersonic flight, but as you say it would be very interesting to see what could have been possible.

mrvr6

straight winged plane at mach 3+ :yikes:

Yep, but you must remember that ramjets that were to be employed actually fitted into the wing itself and so the relative efficiency of the power plants would have been greatly increased due to the full span variable incidence intake ramps and divergent nozzles at the rear. Like the mighty Valkyrie the underside and canted wingtips was designed to 'ride the wave' to increase efficiency even further.

Ray, thanks, yes there is a slight change of pace between the two designs !! There are quite a few more 'weirds' in the pipeline and not just jets which I hope you'll approve of.

As for vacforms well they are rather fun and not half as difficult as most people think, obviously the newer kits are noticeably more 'buildable' than the early efforts, (I heartily recommend Esoteric if the Overstrand is anything to go by).

Blackburn Iris is a good choice.

Just a small update on the P.10. After looking closely at some illustrations someone very thoughtfully let me see at Cosford it was apparent that the windshield was to be made up of more single panes than was provided in the decal sheet, (something that did cross my mind when adding them ! as I didn't think the tech of the time would stretch to huge sections of laminated glass surviving travelling at Mach 3 for prolonged periods !!), so I added some extra frames with white decal strip and it now looks more the part,

P1150151.jpg

Just for fun I thought I'd photograph it next to the Skybolt VC10 and 1968 BAC Concord Grand Slam project....all 1/144th scale and part of the ever growing RAF Bomber Command 'what-if' collection,

P1150153.jpg

Adrian, you can see here that the aircraft wasn't actually that big, but then it didn't need to be...

Cheers all,

Melchie...

• Like 3

Great looking model. This reminds me of all the books and articles in Air Enthusiast by Tony Buttler. The early British post war projects really had the Flash Gordon sci fi look about them.

Interesting how so many varied designs came about before the introduction of computers and the production of similar 'vanilla' type aircraft we have these days.

Cheers

Michael

• 1 month later...

Stunning! I love the patchwork finish.

I do have one question - those wings aren't aerofoils, so how is lift generated? Unless the ramjets are bypassed somehow for take-off and low-speed flight and part of the structure works as an aerofoil....

• 3 years later...

Just my thing General, a homage to what may have been yet another world class plane. Thanks for the intro, it was very informative and I learned something( now that did not happen at school!). I nearly bought this model this year and now seeing your cracking build I think it will be one of my first purchases for next year.

If I may ask General, I often find good research material hard to come by so where did yours come from for your intro and are the illustrations at Cosford via a contact and not open to the public.....I will understand if you have to protect your source:winkgrin:

The 3 models together look fantastic and it is good that these models are produced and constructed, it keeps them alive and because they do not exist as a physical prototype that is important.

Top job as usual General.

Gary

• Like 1

It's great that so many of you share our passion for these concept projects, thanks for the comments. I haven't done much in the way of the Project Cancelled stuff recently though I do now have another couple of oddities on the work bench in the form of the proposed English Electric Sea Lightning FAW2 and the highly modified Avro Vulcan Phase 6 quad Skybolt carrier both in 1/72nd which I may well post a WIP on soon for those interested, (also plan to convert an Airfix Valiant into an operational B2 using the new AIM set I've had a while).

Looks like it was designed by Gerry Anderson for Thunderbirds

Close Mark, apparently GA designs were inspired by many of these cancelled projects, I'm sure Meddings and crew had access to some of the available info to create their amazing machines, (something else I'm working on).

Gary, thanks, among many other things I'm a member of the Project Cancelled SIG whose members have all sorts of goodies regarding these projects. GeoffB here on BM is the man to speak to as he's a font of knowledge on this stuff. Thanks to the group I now have a growing library of company brochures, design studies, GA drawings etc to use though a fair bit of it is restricted to our members due to copyright. Aviation authors Chris Gibson and Tony Buttler also help out with details so we know we're in safe hands.....S&M also have a range of wonderful designs planned, just hope they come to fruition if not it's out with the whittling stick.....

Edited by general melchett

Hello,Andy - Wow! This a new one on me! The subject is out of this world and as always,so is your building and finishing. I love it.

Seasons Greetings to you.:santa: 👍 All the very best,Paul.

Thanks Paul, yes bit of a blast from the past this one. We Brits, (along with others) came up with some pretty amazing concepts back in the fifties, just a shame that so many were either axed at birth or stillborn, (understandably in most cases).This one actually had a lot of serious consideration before being given the chop.

Hopefully I'll get some more finished next year, been after scratching an HP-100 and Saunders-Roe SR-187 Mach 2+ strategic bombers for quite some time....