Neo or Eclipse?

italmodeller

Hi guys!

I am thinking about buying a good airbrush.. i mean, something more than my old chinese one...

I know good things about Iwata Neo Cn but also many good things about Iwata Eclipse CS..

They look quite similar.. Can someone tell me the reason why I should prefer the CS spending 50 £ more?

Which are the differences?

Thank you!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Strangely enough I have a Neo that I was needing to spend some money on to replace the air valve, nozzle and packer due to wear and tear. I was on the website of my usual supplier tonight and ended up buying an Eclipse CS plus the 0.5 nozzle etc instead.

I had already replaced the Neo's needle and nozzle once before and once I added the cost up I would have paid double the original purchase price over just a few years so decided to go for the Eclipse with the expectation it will last a lot longer before requiring any servicing and spares (providing its treated with care).

I have been pleased enough with the Neo and especially liked being able to change the paint cups to suit the job but it has worn quickly and the needles and nozzles are very soft and prone to damage. I only really used it for priming and varnishing but did use it to paint a few models while my main brush was away for service and it did a good enough job so would still recommend one for someone to get into airbrushing with.

Duncan B

My vote would go for the Eclipse CS, I have one along with the .5mm nozzle, needle etc and it's brilliant.

My vote would go for the Eclipse CS, I have one along with the .5mm nozzle, needle etc and it's brilliant.

Glad to hear that as that's what I've just gone and bought.

Duncan B

• 1 month later...

How are these brushes to strip & clean please.....I've got a Devilbiss Super 93, which is a wonderful brush for fine freehand work, but it's something of a chore to clean (I keep losing the tiny needle locking widgets) compared to my general purpose Revell brush (basically a Badger 150 made for Revell). :shrug:

The Eclipse is made to a much higher degree of quality. And it's nozzle system is also easier to use.

The Revolution series are also an alternative. Same quality as the Eclipse, but a bit fiddlier.

I really think its the other way around, (I had an eclipse for awhile, and now use a CR and an HP-B ). The Revolution CR is much easier to break down; its essentially 7 pieces versus 12 or so for the eclipse... and no seals. Its even marketed as the the more general use AB in Iwata's line. I also find that the CR's parts are more robust; they can handle a much more diverse range of situations without an issue.

Edited by -Neu-

A matter of taste, I guess. But what usually scares people about the revolution is the fiddly nozzle.

The reason the CR handles a wider range of paint and thinning is probably because of the larger nozzle.

Edited by denstore

A matter of taste, I guess. But what usually scares people about the revolution is the fiddly nozzle.

The reason the CR handles a wider range of paint and thinning is probably because of the larger nozzle.

Certainly the larger nozzle has an effect. But its really not that fiddly... and (this is my personal preference) I rarely remove it to clean at all. I find a good backfill with paint thinner and a small dental tool gets most of the gunk out of the paint channel so that its clean as new.

I should say that I use the revolution for covering large areas, like with primer, future or alclad. ITs really not ideal for detail work, which is why I use the HP-B as a secondary brush.

Strangely enough I have a Neo that I was needing to spend some money on to replace the air valve, nozzle and packer due to wear and tear. I was on the website of my usual supplier tonight and ended up buying an Eclipse CS plus the 0.5 nozzle etc instead.

I had already replaced the Neo's needle and nozzle once before and once I added the cost up I would have paid double the original purchase price over just a few years so decided to go for the Eclipse with the expectation it will last a lot longer before requiring any servicing and spares (providing its treated with care).

I have been pleased enough with the Neo and especially liked being able to change the paint cups to suit the job but it has worn quickly and the needles and nozzles are very soft and prone to damage. I only really used it for priming and varnishing but did use it to paint a few models while my main brush was away for service and it did a good enough job so would still recommend one for someone to get into airbrushing with.

Duncan B

Hi Duncan,

Could you give me an idea of over what period of time/usage the parts became worn. My friend and I are looking at getting a new airbrush and we were looking at the Neo, but as you say, if the parts wear pretty quickly then it could turn out to be a false economy.

Thanks

Paul

Duncan,

The o rings wear quickly and I've sold a number of new nozzles to people that have damaged them putting them back on the brush.

Spares for the Neo are not cheap, For example all the various o rings are £5 each, paint cups are £15 or £22 each.

Also, you can't buy the main body of the brush. But to buy everything else to make a Neo CN would cost over £180.

I took one of the first batch I bought in as a demo brush, had some problems out of the box and still sprays slightly to the right. So I wasn't overly impressed.

First impressions here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/75695-neo-for-iwata-first-impressions/ not sure what has happened to the photo links.

Most people that come to me looking at the Neo these days choose the H&S Ultra, after they have had a play with both brushes.

The Ultra is a little more expensive than the Neo the solo brush (0.2mm nozzle and 2ml paint cup) at £60 or the set with two paint cups and nozzle sets (extra 5ml paint cup and 0.4mm nozzle set) at £80. It uses the same needles and nozzles as the Evolution and Infinity brushes.

Ultra overview here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/52540-inexpensive-hs-starter-airbrush/

I usually have both on my stand at shows for people to try and make their own mind up.

Paul

little-cars

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Duncan,

Could you give me an idea of over what period of time/usage the parts became worn. My friend and I are looking at getting a new airbrush and we were looking at the Neo, but as you say, if the parts wear pretty quickly then it could turn out to be a false economy.

Thanks

Paul

It was less than 3 years of use, not particularly hard use either. The bent needle and nozzle was my fault for being a bit heavy handed when cleaning but they are soft compared with my other, more expensive Iwatas.

See Paul from Little Cars answer above for info on parts etc. For an introduction to airbrushing the Neo would be fine but you'll soon want something with a bit more quality about it.

Duncan B