Next job - Airfix 1/12 Bentley 4.5 Litre 'Blower'

Always lusted after one of these since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Finally got hold of one! :thumbsup:

This is the latest release version (same original 1970s tooling I think) but on looking at the sprues, its stood the test of time and looks very clean and precise. I intend to go a bit mad on this one and put a huge amount of detail in to it. I've been researching a few scratch built Blowers so that will be a good start point.

8621028257_e7dae9c759_c.jpg

8622129150_9fdd96d612_c.jpg

• Like 1

Airfix must have run out of green plastic. At last.

So, Any colour you like. So long as it's Green then.

Hmmmmm

Did you see the new build 27 Litre version on Top gear recently?

The noise! Mind you the German jobby was a bit loud too.

Good luck with this. And, do you have room for the finished article?

Pete

My cousin Andrew owns the Bentley that was on Top Gear.

Bentley%2520%2526%2520Aston.jpg

They returned the car after filming and didn't even have the decency to wash it clean!

He also owns this Bentley Blue train (google it).

Blue%2520Train.jpg

Edited by Sideways Sid
  • Like 1

I think I have your build saved as a reference, Roy. What fabric source do you recommend?

I was pleased to see in this later kit that the chrome isn't too 'chromey' as some earlier ones appeared and this has an almost tarnished 'off chrome' look to it. Having seen other builds, I thought I'd need to strip it all back and alclad it. Might not need to. I'm also going to attempt to make my own wire wheels too. Big job or fairly straight forward with a good jig?

I went to a fabric dept (in Debenhams I think...) and bought half a metre of fine white cotton.

It was cut to approximate shape and then glued on with a can of spray adhesive. I used stuff called 'Ultratape spray adhesive'.

It's in a huge spray can and costs £2.99 in most cheapo DIY stores.

Once it's all 'fabricated' and trimmed to shape, I went round the edges with a cheapie superglue using my finger (very quickly!) as a spreader.

After the first few light spray coats of paint, rub the fluff off with 400 grade W&D.

After that, several light coats of paint followed by a matt varnish.

I have a PDF of the entire build if you want a copy.

Message me off-list.

Roy.

Hi Tony, nice choice of subject, I can't quite see where the rotorhead will fit but I'll watch closely. Someone once upon a time did a detail set , grill mesh etc, and maybe spoked wheels, you might find one lurking on the interwebnet.

Colin

I dont suppose he wants to lend it to me for 'research purposes' does he??

We're in Kent and noticed you're in Hampshire. So not just around the corner. If you'd like some photographs of specific parts I expect we could e-mail some over to you. Once you start the model let us know and we'll try to help.

Send me an e-mail to [email protected]

Regards

Sideways Sid

I'll have you know the Wildcat doesn't suffer from 1R or 4R anymore!! (8R and 12R yes...). But maybe 20 years of being strapped to 10,000 rivets vibrating in unison does take its toll.....bark bark.

Hello Lynx, glad you finally found your Bentley.

Always lusted after one of these since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Finally got hold of one! :thumbsup:

I intend to go a bit mad on this one and put a huge amount of detail in to it.

If anyone can, you can. I look forward to seeing how you tackle this beauty.

Just as an aside, whilst going about my daily work I was priviledged to stumble across somewhere that does these old cars up.

There, in an inoccuous and anonyomous looking workshop were six 30's Bentleys in various stages of dis-assembly. I was astonished and amazed. What a treat.

Please keep us all up to speed with your progress on this project.

Cheers.

Lynx,

That is quite a beautiful choice...nice!! :thumbsup: Look forward to it.

Sideways Sid, each time I look at a profile of that and google BENTLEY BLUE train , AND I know its NOTHING like a Morgan{ the real one , and not one of those kit cars!!} that Bentley Blue train reminds ME of a car that MY late Father Used to own and drive around in

India ..but it was a MORGAN..I hope so so e builds one (whistling)

The only person I know that did own a Bentley was MY Grandfather who was given it as his ' ride' to go to the Indian Parliament where he worked as a state Governor during the Birtish Raj.

I have not been so Lucky to see one here except there is a black one whizzing about in nearby locality!!

Lynx I look forward to your build... I like checking out the vehicles as well as the aircrafts builds ..

Way to go. :goodjob:

HOUSTON

i note tyres from model to real car are different. which ones are supposed to be correct for an original model copy?

..have the same car in 24th. love this subject..,

Bentleys were very much 'bespoke' and each car probably had mods and changes made throughout their lives. I doubt no two are the same. Good thing for modellers as a bit of 'artistic license' can be applied :thumbsup:

Oh boy...have one of these in the stash (picked it up years ago in Huntingdon - it was on sale and I just couldn't resist). Watching this one closely as I want to tidy mine up a bit, although methinks making my own wire wheels may be a little beyond my skill level. However, watching with interest and looking forward to any hints/tips to improve the look of this beautiful beast.

Hi, just thought I would stick my oar in as I’ve been lucky enough to have been brought up with vintage Bentleys (I was collected from the hospital after being born in a 1925 3litre).

The car used by Top Gear (BF 5856) is a replica, I think its based on a Mk IV chassis and probably has the Rolls Royce B80 or B81 8 cylinder engine, although it has been beautifully realised, chassis details and some proportions are a bit different, the other car (UU 5872) is a real one.

Cheers

Dave

IIRC, the "Bentley" on the Top Gear vs The German Monster slot actually has a Rolls Royce Meteor engine under the hood (the derated, unsupercharged adaptation of the Merlin for use in tanks). Interestingly, it gets 600BHP from its 27 litre V12, whereas the Ferrari F12 gets 740HP from a quarter of the capacity!

So, I suspect the proportions of the front end are rather different from those of a car with a period Bentley engine fitted. Not to mention that it weighs the best part of 3/4 tonne on its own...

bestest,

M.