Dornier 217

Atom.uk

This thread is for a set of Dornier 217s that I have in various stages of completion. More photos to follow:

Dornier 217M-1 U5+DK of KG2, abandoned over London 22.2.44 and made near perfect belly landing nr Cambridge with no apparent combat damage! This a/c is one of the options from the latest Italeri release, so I will be up-dating the markings. Colour scheme is deduced from photos, of irregular streaks/blotches of RLM 76 over standard camouflage.

Kit: Italeri K-1 with engines from N-1 nightfighter version.

8492362739_0de9d9dec3.jpg

1/72 Dornier 217 M-1 U5+DK of KG2 22nd February 1944. Italeri kit with engines from Dornier 217N. Decals sourced from spares. by ATom.UK, on Flickr

Edited by Atom.uk

The next project is a Do 217 M-11. This was a long winged version designed to deliver either Hs 293 or Fritz X guided bombs. The cockpit is scratch built, using the Eduard PE set as a guide:

IMG_9508_zps7e6e9dc4.jpg

crew seats are from a Frog Do17.

Edited by Atom.uk

Dornier 217 M-11, fuselage joined and readt for painting. i note references to innacuracies in the Italeri fuselage. Such corrections are way beyond me - my usual policy is to make "from the box" with scratch built cockpit details and modifications for a particular aircraft.

8494570366_0ae2f9a897.jpg

1/72 Dornier 217 M-11 of KG100, August 7th 1944. Italeri Dornier K-2 kit with engines from from Dornier 217N, detailed cockpit. by ATom.UK, on Flickr

From another modelling web-site i discovered that the M-11 had a recess in the bomb bay to accomodate the guided munitions (Hs 293 or Fritz X)

IMG_9524_zps811626c2.jpg

Back to the cockpit - in it's latest release, the Italeri Do217 M has a new, detailed, cockpit interior (and wheel wells). What a brilliant way of up-dating a kit!

IMG_9514_zps4b9afe70.jpg

I have a copy of the first kit in a Testor's box from 1986, and picked up a couple of the long wing ones in the late 1990's. Not bad kits, but they cost to much now a days to pick up here in the US unless it's off a dealers table at a show.

I didn't realise there was a cost implication for European kits in the US. I remember the price of Japanese kits shooting up in the UK a few years ago.

You may have yours made and finished long before mine! I have 4 on the go with another 3 un-started, plus 3 night fighter versions!

AT

I have a copy of the first kit in a Testor's box from 1986, and picked up a couple of the long wing ones in the late 1990's. Not bad kits, but they cost to much now a days to pick up here in the US unless it's off a dealers table at a show.

This is a Do217E project - kit: Italeri Do217N with Falcon nose transparency. Otherwise "from the box". It will (one day!) be finished as 3E+EN of 5/KG6.

Yes - I know I have got the greens wrong - they should be the maritime colours of RLM72/73. I have used the standard RLM 70/71. hopefully will not be too obvious once RLM 76 has been applied over the greens.

IMG_9521_zpsf79dfae9.jpg

IMG_9520_zps3b22523f.jpg

Edited by Atom.uk