+++FINISHED+++ - Sword 1/72 Curtiss S03C SeaGull/Seamew

Ok here's my little beasty for this GB, a Sword 1/72 Curtiss S03C Seagull/Seamew. DSCF0646_zpsa67bd0ee.jpg I have never built many seaplanes so wanted to give this build a go. I decided to just do something nice a simple, mainly because I have too many GB’s in progress or planned!!! :frantic: This will be pretty much out of the box as a US Navy bird (or Seagull :P ) , though the markings are a bit simple, so may have to do a extra bit of research for that. It looks to be quite nicely moulded for a limited run model, plus the resin cockpit is nice as well. DSCF0647_zps10030cf2.jpgDSCF0649_zpscabb819c.jpg Sorry about cr#p photo. Have only found one fault and that is the edge of the rear window frame, it hasn’t been moulded correctly, but should be easy to fix. DSCF0650_zpscf8373c3.jpg Will start doing little bits and pieces of this build as the other builds progress/finish, so will look forward to a nice a simple build. :pray:

• Like 1

Ok I have finally made a start on this one in-between other things and taking a break from the Arado.

I have just done the basics and now remember the fun to be had building limited run plastic models!

All the easy sub assemblies are done, the cockpit edges are fixed, I have to finish the main wing re-scribing......and filling in the re-scribing stuff-ups! :doh:

DSCF0651_zpsdf33ebb0.jpg

DSCF0652_zps21010143.jpg

The rear cockpit is the issue with this model, but should be reasonably simple to fix.

DSCF0653_zpsc9a27c12.jpg

Rearcockpitdetail_zps85c35fc2.jpg

This photo clearly shows what it should look like, plus the rudder off-set!

Am glad I found a book on this baby, as the instructions don’t show that the rudder is off set a few degrees to the left! Would have been interesting to fly before they figured that one out!

• Like 1

This is a bit of an unexpected update as I hadn’t planned to do much work on this early on.

Having another break from the beast I started work on sorting out the rear cockpit layout as the model is completely wrong.

With the resin piece in place I marked out and removed the offending areas and added the floor plus the missing radio shelf. The moulded DF set is set too far forward and really should be closer to the edge of the top shelf, not too sure if I can really be bothered at the moment....... Additional radio equipment needs to be added to the second shelf, sitting on it and under it. The mounting ring for the 30cal came from an old bomb (Airfix Ju88) and just happened to be the exact size, so only have to thin it down a bit.

DSCF0678_zps2acd4f9d.jpg

DSCF0688_zps69af015f.jpg

The model is also missing the forward starboard 30cal, the actual shape is quite simple so a section of sheet plastic was prefect, just needs a wee tidy up and barrel, it’s sorted. Will probably also add the missing engine cowling flaps as well, as all photos of it show them in the open position, oh and the exhaust pipes are cr#p!

DSCF0680_zps8c611306.jpg

The main cockpit has quite a few errors, the instrument panel is completely wrong (has the back end of the 30cal sticking out) and there isn’t any side panels, but that’s for another day.

This was just going to be a simple OOB job, but I’m having lots of fun with it so I don’t mind the extra work.

• 3 weeks later...

ok back from another shift in the wild west.....Ok back from another shift in the wild west..... :tumble:

This was going to be a nice simple build.....but for some reason I just can’t seem to help myself!!! :banghead:

Ok spent some time sorting out the interior, mostly the front cockpit. What I’ve done is not quite 100% accurate but at least now it looks the part. One thing that needed to be added was the 30cal machine gun in the RHS of the cockpit.The real thing his was very noticeable in the cockpit, as mention the instrument panel was wrong but to speed things up will leave it as is, just made it a bit bigger as it should be.

intmultiprepaint_zps603e2538.jpg

DSCF0762_zps87e5d1f1.jpg

DSCF0761_zps5fe3bd79.jpg

DSCF0760_zps4ab8c0bb.jpg

The rear cockpit has the radios added, everything’s painted Zinc Chromate, so now just needs “weathering” to look a bit more realistic. Was going to added extra wiring looms........but was going to be simple.

DSCF0750_zps23600691.jpg

The cowling flaps need to be open, so have started that process by removing the moulded flaps, will replace with thin copper......just ignore hole, wasn’t what I planned, was first attempt!!

Should be straight forward now, once everything’s closed up it should be a quick build......unless I get distracted and add something else! :hmmm:

Next update will have everything buttoned up ...and wings on..........maybe?

ok have sort of neglected this little baby due to the Sukhoi taking so much time. :wall: So decided to have a break from that and get back this project.

Things have progressed very quickly once the cockpit details were finished. Tried to make the cockpit look a bit lived in without going to too much trouble, am pleased how it looks, just need to not forget to add the seat belt before adding the canopies!!! Plus may add wee bit more detail.

DSCF0777_zps9e4f4dd4.jpg

Everything closed up nicely and was very surprised just how neat the resulting joins were!! For a limited run model the joins only needed a bit of a clean up before being glued, which resulted in next to no filler....was very happy. Even remembered to glue the rudder angled 3° to port. :D

DSCF0772_zps1ae63cff.jpg

Ok I needed just a wee bit of filler to tidy up some joints, still have to sand those.

DSCF0773_zps6b56539b.jpg

Using thin sheet brass I starting making the cowling flaps with. This is actually quite simple process with the results worth the effort. Just need to make and fit the front pair.

DSCF0777_zps9e4f4dd4.jpg

Floats are pretty much done, not sure if I’ll fit them before or after painting, after will make the painting simpler. With this in mind I took extra care in getting the main pontoon mount fitting just right. Must remember to fit the tiny rudder, had lost it and only found it in time for photo!

DSCF0771_zps47d14ec1.jpg

Engine and nose section are almost really to fit....don’t look at exhausts, they’re horrible and I haven’t got anything to replace them with!

DSCF0770_zpsb76538d1.jpg

At this rate I’ll have started painting (or finished) by next update. Am really enjoying this little baby it’s gone together without issues, why can’t they all be like this!

Great progress. My experience with my build is that fitting the main float after painting was a lot of trouble as I had to tweak the alignment (no locating pins) and messed up the paint. On hindsight, I'd either pin it then paint before assembly, or assemble first then mask ... not as difficult as it it sounds.

The exception would be the outrigger floats ... I knocked mine off several times before I pinned them and put them aside till the end of the build.

Looking forward to your next update!

Great progress. My experience with my build is that fitting the main float after painting was a lot of trouble as I had to tweak the alignment (no locating pins) and messed up the paint. On hindsight, I'd either pin it then paint before assembly, or assemble first then mask ... not as difficult as it it sounds.

The exception would be the outrigger floats ... I knocked mine off several times before I pinned them and put them aside till the end of the build.

Looking forward to your next update!

I agree, I have been giving it quite a bit of thought on when would be best to attach the main float.

This is probably why I spent extra time sorting out that joint. I probably will pin it and fit later as this will give an extra bit of strength, plus small painted joints are easy to hide with Kristal Klear.

Just a quick update....

Have decided to pin the floats and fit later, just took a little bit more time ensuring the float joints were really nice then fitted some plastic rod pins. these will help during painting!

One thing that has been worrying me is the exhausts! The kit one's are horrible, just look closely at the photos to see what I mean, plus I don’t have spares to replace with.

But after careful study of reference photos, while having a cuppa, I noticed that there is a difference in exhausts! Between the SO3C-1 and SO3C-3 there appears to be a difference in the exhaust setup. The C-1 uses the earlier type of straight pipes which were used on the prototype, while the later C-3 has angled flared pipes.

SO3C-1_zps7579a492.jpg

SO3C-1.......having a wash!

SO3C-3_zpsb9fb9cb2.jpg

SO3C-3.......with racing pipes!

So with this additional info and a nice cuppa under the belt, off goes those horrible monstrosities. Now the fun part, drilling a dozen wee holes and fit lots of aluminium tubing! :banghead::wacko:

It’s been a few days since my last update and things are progressing very well.

Have getting everything ready for painting, plus drilled all the holes for the exhaust pipes.

Got the order for the under coats a bit out of order, only figured it was wrong once I had completed the undercoats!!! Plan was I wanted to have a aluminium under surface that I could pick the top colour coats off for wear and tear. But unfortunately didn’t think about this until I had done the panel line pre-shading. No great drama, just will remember for next time.

DSCF0784_zps016f3846.jpg

DSCF0785_zpscd6033dc.jpg

Additional white panels have been added.

DSCF0786_zpse6396ca9.jpg

Weatherings ok, just needs to be coated in clear before washes added.

DSCF0783_zpsef59d8ce.jpg

Floats look rough in the photos but thats just the chipped panit, looks ok in real life, nice a weather as in the actual photos.

So have basically finished the main colours and started to “chip” the paint, just have to repaint the port wing, had a slight stuff up while airbrushing, easily fixed. Once done will gloss coat and leave to settle.

Pinning the floats is a good idea, just have to keep stop breaking the pins!

Not sure if I’ll get much more done before next work cycle, am very happy with progress.

Great work so far! I'm watching your work and I might get one to build later!

You'll enjoy it.

it's a lovely little (well do build a lot of 1/48, am currently building an Su17M3) plane, plus it doesn't seem to take much work to turn it into something very nice......well I hope I can.

You just need the reference material, a little bit hard to find but know a good webs site!

currently on shift again so have another 12 days before I get back to it!

• 3 weeks later...

finally had a chance to get back to this baby, between the Su and researching for others builds this poor baby has been neglected.

Further progress has been quite quick now and the finished is definitely in sight.

After a good polish up (decided not to gloss as both colours were either gloss or semi) the decals went on, only six to do, then a matt coat.

Next up was the start of the weathering process. From all the photos I’ve seen these aircraft were nice and clean new or very grubby and worn looking in the later photos. So worn and grotty it is. I tried a few different ideas plus a couple I have been reading about and am happy with the results so far. Will play a bit more to try a get the look I want, must say I love the acrylic matt finish, nice to work with and fixing mistakes is a simple wipe with a thinners dampened cotton bud!

DSCF0832_zps6d2f86b3.jpg

DSCF0830_zpsc9da0d47.jpg

DSCF0831_zps467da426.jpg

I also tried the trick of filling the canopy with blu-tack before cutting out, much easier.

DSCF0834_zpsefb9005f.jpg

DSCF0833_zps669b0c40.jpg

opp didn't realise how blurry it was!

Fitted the exhaust stacks as well as starting on the PE bits. Next to do is the rear gun mount, finish off the interiors and close up. Still have to make the stores mounts, but they are quite simple and will be the last things to do.

With luck this should be finished in a day or two, not sure if I’ll get a chance to do another update before then, will see.