1/48 Czech Model Curtiss SO3C Seamew

Hi

Been looking forward to this GB for a while. So many choices in the stash to choose from, but it was between this and a 72nd scale Hasegawa SP-5B Marlin, but in the end I wasn't in the mood for something so big, so this kit won out!

I am going to be building the Curtiss SO3C Seamew, in 1/48 by Czech Model.

bbea4c94-adf9-410b-a90d-baa8b1276776_zps

and here is the obligatory sprue shots...

IMG_0360_zpsc5b693ba.jpg

I'm not sure which of the marking choices I am going to use yet, I'll decide that as I go along.

Does anybody know where I can find some shots of these aircraft being pulled out of the water by the ships crane?

Hope you like the choice.

Richard

gee it almost looks like a scaled up version of mine!

If you are after further info on this strange beast I have found an on-line book call "The Reluctant Dragon" The Curtiss S03C SeaGull/SeaMew" by Steve Ginter. There are lots of great detail photos, especially of the rear Observers/Gunners position. This is where my version has a lot of issues!

I have a few of these Czech Model kits - they area bit of work but a nice model comes out at the end. I've always fancied this one and if I can find one at the right price, I may indulge - in the meantime I will watch for tips!

gee it almost looks like a scaled up version of mine!

If you are after further info on this strange beast I have found an on-line book call "The Reluctant Dragon" The Curtiss S03C SeaGull/SeaMew" by Steve Ginter. There are lots of great detail photos, especially of the rear Observers/Gunners position. This is where my version has a lot of issues!

Thanks for that, I have just ordered a copy from Amazon. I have got some ideas for a little diorama and hopefully there will be some decent pictures in there.

Only problem I have now is that I need some figures/pilots as the Czech Model kit doesn't come with any, probably have to go looking for some spares from a Monogram Kingfisher kit.

Andy - I really like the Czech model kits too, I have a Skyknight in the stash, and last year I build the T-34 Turbo Mentor, there not the easiest things to put together, but coming with all the resin parts you really can just build them from the box.

Richard

Andy - I really like the Czech model kits too, I have a Skyknight in the stash,

Like hens teeth those Richard! You are blessed, you lucky man!

Hi

Just a small update. I've assembled the float, and made a start on the cockpit and navigator/observers station. Managed to get some of the resin primed last night, hopefully ready for a coat of Interior Green over the weekend.

I've decided that I'm going to try and do a small diorama, or at least have the plane in the water (I just don't think they look right on wheels), and I'm going to go with the markings on the top of the picture below, mainly because I'm not a big fan of the stars and bars with the red surround, but still plenty of time to change my mind!

DSCN1690_zps7af606c2.jpg

DSCN1689_zpsb44c8ed8.jpg

DSCN1688_zps8121830f.jpg

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update, while I have been getting on with painting the cockpit and waiting for those parts to dry, I made a start on a bit of a diorama base.

DSCN1695_zpsdf256942.jpg

DSCN1699_zps540841cc.jpg

I am hoping that if I give it another coat of the gel, and then add some white to the crests it will look OK.

Hope to add an update with the cockpit done this week.

Richard

Hi

Time for a bit of an update. Got most of the cockpit painted and now dry fitted., just a bit of weathering to go and the fuselage, wings and float can all start to come together.

Here's the progress so far....

DSCN1700_zps69d3ac5e.jpg

DSCN1701_zpsbbe752d2.jpg

DSCN1702_zpsc75f4eb5.jpg

More to follow very soon.

Richard