1/72 Airfix Messerschmitt Bf110 OOB (except for a gun!)

Val

Hi all,

Thought I'd share this model with you, I've been working on her for a while and making her side by side with the 1/48 Mustang, mainly to practice some techniques on.

The kit itself isn't bad. I think it's pretty well documented that the panel lines are deeper than most canals, and apparently it's not overly accurate. I can't comment too much on accuracy, but I can confirm the kit is fairly straight forward to build with generally good fit, but also a lot of fiddly bits with massive gates, this is causing a few headaches.

I am planning to use the hairspray technique to do the winter camo, but there is a reasonable chance I'll wimp out before getting to this point smile.gif

Anyway, she's glued together, primed, pre-shaded with Tamiya flat black, and has the underside colour on (Vallejo RLM 65). Here's the pics so far:

IMG_1543_zps91b63585.jpg

IMG_1545_zpse8d344df.jpg

IMG_1546_zpsb1e37b0f.jpg

IMG_1550_zpscc27690a.jpg

As ever, I'm here to learn, so please let me know if I'm doing anything silly, or tips for improvement.

Many thanks,

Val

• Like 2

I'm not a great fan of pre-shading but subtlety is the key to achieving a realistic finish. So in your position Val, I'd be giving a couple more light coats of the RLM 65.

Max

Thanks for your kind words guys!

I'm not a great fan of pre-shading but subtlety is the key to achieving a realistic finish. So in your position Val, I'd be giving a couple more light coats of the RLM 65.
Max

Yes, I'm inclined to agree with you it might be a little over the top. What I'm going to do is leave it over night, and look at it again today when it's totally dried off and see what the paint work looks like in day light, and then probably give it a bit more of a heavily thinned going over with the RLM 65! The most shaded areas on the wing tips are going to be yellow, so will be knocked down a lot - wasn't going to paint them in blue but, well, forgot!

Cheers,

Val

Hi all, thanks for the kind words. I've listen to words of advice and I decided to knock it back a bit with the ol' shading, and I've painted in the yellow bands also. Here's a picture:

null_zpsf793ffe2.jpg

Please let me know what you think!

Cheers,

V

Edited by Val

• 2 months later...

Well, sorry for the lack of updates; I know it's been too long, but I've finally had a bit of time to get some plane makin' under my belt. Sorry for the lack effort in the pictures as well, I did them in a rush before heading to work. Anyway, as you can see I've got the top two camo colours on, and have faded the panels a bit using a novice version of Terry's excellent weathering technique. I've also done the engine nacelles and exhausts which I didn't bother picturing.

So, on with the pics:

null_zps0fdcc2db.jpg

null_zps387bf9b8.jpg

null_zps3cbb02e2.jpg

null_zpsbafcd890.jpg

Now, a couple of things that you've all probably noticed:

1. There are no guns on the front of the aircraft. They have been snapped off by yours truly, so I have some brass replacement ones to fit in instead, which might be fun....
2. The rear end is very scratched. The photo seems to have highlighted this, but in real life I can hardly see these, and I don't think it'll show too much when it's weathered a bit. Therefore I'm going to leave them and learn sanding methods a bit better for next time.
3. The colours seem to be different from the Airfix instructions. I followed their RLM colours and used Vallejo model air. I'm not sure if the airfix pictures are right, RLM callouts, or Vallejo model air colour match to these colours. Either way I'm not that worried as I think she's looking ok.

This is the second time I have used Vallejo model air, the first time being very frustrating with loads of airbrush blockages. This time I used a smidge of flow enhancer, and that seems to have worked a treat.

As always, I'm really interested in knowing what you all think. I'm not going to correct inaccuracies with what I've done, but I am interested for future reference, so please tell me if the colours are wrong.

Next step is gloss, decals, and then winter camo. Looking forward to that :)

Cheers,

V

• Like 1

Cor that yellows a bit bright isn't it? I My impression of RLM 04 is that its more orangey than that, - or is it the photos, looking at some of the others further down it may not be far off. Good looking build but those panel lines are unbelievable.

Cor that yellows a bit bright isn't it? I My impression of RLM 04 is that its more orangey than that, - or is it the photos, looking at some of the others further down it may not be far off. Good looking build but those panel lines are unbelievable.

Yeah, meant to mention that as well, the yellow struck me as being way to bright when I unmasked her. I used standard Tamiya XF-3 or whatever it is, it looked ok in the pot, but in hindsight I should probably have added a bit of red to it, or I should have picked up a pot of Vallejo RML 4 equivalent. Oh well, live and learn! The panel lines are fairly obvious, to say the least!!

She's a beautyful build, and I must congratulate you on the pre-shadding, I just can't get it to work! As a matter of fact I prefer to postshade!

• Like 1

Thanks mate for the positive comment. I've got on ok with preshading, I tend to use really really thin coats and build it up, basically because if I do something wrong it's easier to correct (happens a lot), think that helps with the preshading, but it takes hours! Hopefully when I get a bit better, I'll get a bit better control of paints. Thanks again.

Edited by Val

The RLM 02/70 look spot on to me. Only as a matter of interest as the painting looks fine but did you thin the Vajello Model Air at all? Although they claim to be able to paint straight from the bottle I find they need thinning a little to get the best out of them.

So will you be going for the winter camo?

Duncan B

I also habitually thin them with a few drops of water before spraying - just mixed in the airbrush cup with a plastic pipette. I think they are just a little too thick otherwise.

The RLM 02/70 look spot on to me. Only as a matter of interest as the painting looks fine but did you thin the Vajello Model Air at all? Although they claim to be able to paint straight from the bottle I find they need thinning a little to get the best out of them.

So will you be going for the winter camo?

Duncan B

Thanks :) Yes I did thin the Vallejo Modelair, quite heavily. I pretty much added the same amount of Vallejo thinners to the paint as I did paint. I used the white vallejo thinners, and also added a drop or two of Newton and Winsor flow enhancer. The idea behind this was to solve problems of the airbrush clogging up which has happened to me before with Vallejo Modelair, so I can control how much pre-shading shows through with several coats, and so any mistakes I make are easier to clear up. Having said that, I'm still learning, and I would say that the paint was much thinner than necessary, therefore taking a lot of time with more coats than required, but also I didn't have any problems with bleeding under the masking tape. I still find Tamiya paints easiest to use though... All advice welcome :)

Thanks,

Val

• 2 months later...

Hi all!

So, after several weeks, it's time for an update. Basically, the stickers are on! I heard a lot of bad things about the decals, but they performed brilliantly for me with Microset and sol. The only area of difficulty was with the hornets on the nose due to the number of complex curves. However, I got them on and they look passable.

So, here are some pics!

null_zps8da090ed.jpg

null_zps631c0a98.jpg

null_zps854ad974.jpg

null_zps36f4de51.jpg

Next stage is to seal the decals, get the hairspray out and see if I can bodge a winter camo!

Comments and critique welcome as always!

Val

• Like 1

The bee decals look to be slightly uneven.

Yes you are correct, each wasp/bee comes in two separate sections. The two main bodies and eyes seem to line up ok, but I couldn't get the two yellow bits underneath to line up with each other and fit well to the main body, so I chose to keep them lined up with the main body, so they look slightly off from underneath. I thought with a bit of weathering, soot marks etc, I might just get away with it :)

Thanks

V

Thanks all for the encouragement, much appreciated!

Plus its underneath so will not really be noticeable at all. To have them lined up on the sides was definitely the right move.

Yes indeed, that was part of my thinking, hopefully it'll look fine.

Very nice.

I like that yellow color

I have one of these birds from Eduard in 48th scale.

Just number of parts gives me headache :D

Can't make up my mind when to start it ;)I need to watch your build and maybe ...

The Eduard kit looks great! Would love to do one of these in 48th scale, but it's taken me months to do even this very simplistic Airfix kit with very few parts! Cool looking plane though.

... but it's taken me months to do even this very simplistic Airfix kit with very few parts! Cool looking plane though.

Yes it is a nice kit.

The thing is, I'm going over all the WIP & RTI threads and I see what other are doing with their models and I just simply wan't to do all those extras as well :)

And when I open the box and I see the number of parts I got the feeling that I'll never finish that plane :D

Too many things you can do with a model :D