Revell Lockheed Hudson

Max Headroom

Revells repop of the MPM Lockheed Hudson has now arrived in the shops at £14.99 in Modelzone. It is safe to say that you can now consign the ancient Airfix offering to the bin as this surpasses it in every respect.

F20F9024-A91B-4254-AF1D-5319A3D59EC6-113

Boxed as a Mk. I and II, you can indeed build either version straight from the box. However, the kit itself does have a bit of an identity crisis. The two marking options are for P5120 of 206 Sqn and T9277 of 224 Sqn. but a quick check against the serial blocks allocated to the Hudson confirms that both options are Mk.Is. For the record 206 Sqn operated Mk. I, II and IIIs and 224 operated Mk. I and Vs.

FE80E888-0B9E-47AE-98FA-88554AD741B1-113

The other sheet by the way is a 1980's vintage example from Airfix. There really is no comparison.

Further inspection of the sprues shows that although not mentioned anywhere in the instructions, you could also build a Mk. III (LR) as well, by merely substituting the short louvered exhausts behind the engine with the longer shrouded ones, which although included are greyed out on the sprue diagram in the instructions. Also required is the later loop-type DF aerial which is also included.

74F3277A-F31B-4639-BCCF-A724BF61F014-113

There is more too. Also included and greyed out on the sprue diagram is an optional dorsal drop in fuselage part for the USAAF A-29 gunnery trainer, which had one 0.50 Browning on a pintle instead of a turret. It looks though that you would need to scratch build the deflection screen in front.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b8/Lockheed_A-29_Hudson_USAAF_in_flight_c1941.jpg

If that was not enough, there is also a solid nose in there too as a hangover from the civil Lockheed 14 boxing. This can be used to turn your A-29 into the later unarmed general transport version.

By just changing the markings option, you can turn your Mk. III into the USN PBO-1. You can even keep the Dark Green/Dark Earth/Sky scheme too, (and no, this is a Du Pont Sky or Sky Gray free thread).

http://www.microworks.net/pacific/aviation/PBO_Hudson.htm

Finally(!) the sprues also have the Pratt and Whitney Twin Wasps too, although the cowlings are absent.

So all that is before I even remove the parts off the sprues and decide what markings I will apply. I have an old Almark sheet for PR types and includes a selection of Sidney Cottons Camotint experiments and I am sorely tempted. Time will tell.

Next off, I will discuss the markings options in more detail and then who knows, I may even start the build thread.

Stay tuned.

Trevor

• Like 5

This is one I like to add to the expanding stash. Off I trot to Modelzone.

Buy it online from ModelZone and use MZHOL15 to get 15% off it.

I've been tempted by this one, I really have.

Sean

On a point of order, Mr Chairman, it says £14.99 on the price sticker in your picture, so is it that or £12.99?

That apart, good luck with the kit. I have read a lot of glowing in-box reviews, and also a lot of criticism of fit from people who've actually built it, so I shall await your experiences with interest.

Revell’s repop of the MPM Lockheed Hudson has now arrived in the shops at £12.99 in Modelzone.

Oops! I had a senior moment......

Yes I have heard that it has issues especially around the nose and Revell's instructions seem to address this by advising the removal of some plastic from a couple of parts. I will find out if this fix works soon enough.

Trevor

EDIT - you add not remove. See later in the thread

Not just the nose, but the nacelles and cowlings and fuselage in general. I bought the Mk.V, but the one I wanted to do turned out to be a Lodestar on closer inspection. Since then I've been tempted along the lines of "surely it can't be as bad as it sounds?" but have yet to dip into it - not least because I've since bought the Lodestar which has a new fuselage and tail anyway. However, if the likes of John McIlmurray think the fit is bad - then it surely is.

Graham

Thanks (?) for the encouragement.......lol

I see that there are separate fairings, including the firewall, to install before you even attach the engine of your choice.

The kit does betray its medium run heritage but flash is minimal. Locating lugs are not exactly everywhere and ejector pin markings abound in the fuselage, as depressions in one half and proud on the inner surface on the other:

F337CAB1-95A8-44A0-8993-B131C15DBB6F-557

but all that is to come in the build thread.

As for an ASR version, I have not noticed any clues, for example flashed-over holes for Yagi aerials or RP's, so do not know how these were catered for (if at all) on the Italeri release for example.

I fully expect this to fight me somewhat, but bought it with my eyes wide open and had my expectations tempered accordingly. However, this is a subject that interests me and I will fight back (when you see the result you will believe I built it wearing boxing gloves anyway!)

Trevor

Dead right - and after that there's the Rodent He111 for you to try? I did have a KP Ki60 you could have had but some committed individual actually bought that.

There's no doubt that it is a better kit than the old Airfix one. The Lodestar provided lots of spare bits - including an entire tail and a solid nose - that can be used to improve the Airfix Hudson we all still have in our stashes (don't we?), perhaps as a Super Electra. Replacement Cyclone engines/cowlings are available as aftermarket, although sadly the P&W needed to replace the MPM examples are sold out.

It is a kit that rewards the effort, judging from the finished examples I've seen photos of.

There is a 1-48 vac Hudson from Combat Models. I got it cheap from the bay together with some nice decals. My plan was to use the Revell PV-1 as detail spender (U/C, cockpit,...). I actually do not thing Revell will release a Hudson, as it is quite different AFAIK. Still waiting for some inspiration before I start it. OK Trevor - please go ahead ;-)

René

Hello again Graham!

I think the Twin Wasp replacements to which you refer were mastered by Dave Butress for Airwaves and yes I have a set. 'Basic' is the word and show the cooling gills in the closed position. One solid cast per side with a sort of representation of the engine. No props as they needed raiding from a spares box, but they have a white metal dorsal scoop. I will check at the time for fit. If I use them though, the ventral gun position will need to be totally scratch built.

The only other accessory that I know of is the Aeroclub Boulton Paul turret with white metal 0.303 guns. As a bonus it came with a replacement canopy (the Airfix one is totally wrong) , nose blister and astrodome. I have that too and again I shall compare and contrast at the appropriate time.

Faded brain cells suggest Airwaves did a brass cockpit too but I stand to be corrected.

And that is it as far as aftermarket stuff goes (occasional alternate markings excepted maybe).

As for the other stuff you mention, I was only aware of the Roden early 111, but that is outside my sphere of interest. Let me know how you get on !

Trevor

I've actually fixed the problems on my Roden, so there'd be no point in passing it on. Actually finishing it would be much less interesting, which is why it isn't finished.

I was thinking of the Red Roo P&W conversions, which were much the same as the ones you describe. I think Flightpath do a set of Cyclones. Aeroclub did do a superior BP turret, but you can just lift one from a Revell Halifax - now there's a model that needs a lot of work!

As promised now I will discuss the markings options included in the kit. Before I go any further I would state that this is not an exhaustive treatise of early Hudson markings and would suggest that you check your references (or Google!). I am taking my cue from Scale Aircraft Models vol. 13 no.8 (1991). This is essential reading for the scope of markings options available for all versions.

Both markings options would have you believe that the colours are Dark Earth, Dark Green upper and Silver underside. Whilst the upper colours are ok, silver is bogus. Maybe this is confusion with RAAF Mk.Is? (see later for an explanation of the various marks of Hudson). As far as I can make out, the only UK Hudson with this combination was a civilianised Mk.III, (G-AGDC), as used by BOAC in 1941. I do not know if this was a one-off, or if there were other examples too. As delivered all MK.Is (and IIs?) had either Sky or Night undersides with their Temperate Land Scheme uppers. One of my references suggests that the Sky/Night split was on a 50/50 basis. If true, then you are probably best seeking photographic evidence for a particular example.

It is worth noting that those examples delivered with underwing serials had them presented in the square block style with the corners cut off at a 45 degree angle which are more typical of the pre-war USAAC.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/7881229746/

There were also A type and B type camouflage patterns which mirrored each other. On the instructions, T9277 is an A, whilst P5120 has a B pattern. Again you need to study photos to verify which scheme was worn by your chosen subject.

Apparently very few of the Mk.I/IIs survived long enough to be repainted in the Extra Dark Sea Grey/Light Slate Grey/White scheme. T9278 (one away from the kit option) was one of them see p. 242 of Air International November 1985.

The kit options both have type A upper wing roundels. Whilst this may be correct, this is not how they were delivered. Larger B type roundels appear to have been converted in field to the smaller A type. Evidence can be seen by localised repainting around the outer ring of the repainted roundels. I suggest therefore that some representation of the repaint should be attempted.

More soon

Trevor

EDIT - pre war mk.I's didn't have Sky undersides and were probably silver after all - doh!

G-AGDC sounds interesting - are there any pictures known of this Hudson?

Only a side view drawing in Scale Aircraft Modelling, but judging by that (dangerous I know) it looks the same as the BOAC Lodestars that they also operated.

A quick Googling also reveals a second example G-AGDK.

Trevor

There were four Hudsons used by BOAC during WW2 on the route between Leuchars and Stockholm, including G-AGDC and G-AGDK. Also four Super Electras painted similarly. I am currently writing a book on this subject (The Stockholm Route), which will contain information on colours and markings. I also plan to do decals for the BOAC Hudsons.

The profiles in SAM, and in the Warpaint Hudson issue differ from the information that I have found in various archives.

Nils

When is the book due?

This is the kind of questions that authors try to neglect .... :hmmm:

Well, the text is more or less done (after years of research and writing). It is now being proof read while I have started to focus on the photos. There are also profiles and plan view drawings to be made.

Nils

Sarge!

Yes Italeri did a version of it I believe with Twin Wasps.

If they use the same sprues then the ventral gun position is missing. Does anyone have a boxing to confirm this?

Trevor

A journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step! Not much, but enough fettling to get me in the mood.

First off is the cockpit floor. Looking at pictures of a restored Australian example, I am not convinced that the jump seat sits on a solid floor and is a fold away item, so off comes the offending part. I just know someone is going to prove me wrong.........

D069AC9B-D781-4AC8-8A57-FAFFF822875E-557

Next off is the bulkhead aft of the navigator.

C2DAF0DE-E3B6-44E5-AFDB-17E5BD897ACB-557

It will need various kit supplied 'bits' adding at the appropriate time. Most of the pix I have seen of this area show the door open, so as I want to show off as much of the interior too, I drilled it out.

B7F88E6D-99F0-4BA2-B294-164C4112B4FA-557

I will tidy up the hole and use it as a template to make a 5 thou plastic card replacement to be fixed in the open position.

Later on I will paint the spar area under the door to represent the open lattice structure of the original.

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

Ok small progress this evening. I concentrated on the bulkhead behind the navigator

87FF4DCC-A990-43BA-A300-7F60F9151A99-443

You see what this modelling site does to a person? I spent 10 minutes fiddling with fuse wire and add a small box from Plasticard to an area that will be hidden behind the open door!

On the other side.......

E069091D-0296-452C-B6F2-D29BB45B5D69-443

.....is the navigator's Station. The boxes are all two piece and a bit 'vague' in their fit and to the bulkhead. Since taking the photo I have had to slather the sides of the boxes with Plasto to fill in the gaps and steps between the front of each box and the main body. Photos show that these boxes are separate to I will not be filling in the gaps between them.

My reference here is a rather nice colour Walkaround of a RNZAF example in the April 2002 Model Aircraft Monthly. I can see lots of cables need adding.

I then test fitted this bulkhead to the two fuselage halves and tried to close it up. All I can say is that a bit of fettling will be required.

Well I was warned.........

More later

Trevor