1939 Bugatti T57C Tank

ptcruiser

I hadn't been by for a while and stumbled on this Group Build yesterday. Well, as this June will be my 23rd visit on the bounce to Le Sarthe for the "great race" I thought I have no excuse but to partake, if you'll have me along...

I have most of the Le Mans winners in my stash so picking the first to build was a bit of a challenge. It was solved by being the first I clapped eyes on :)

The Profil24 Bugatti T57C Tank, as driven to victory by Jean-Pierre Wimile and Pierre Veyron in 1939, covering 3354 km.

Parts shot:

2013_04090002_zps2eaf7d10.jpg

Most of the part count will go towards the wire wheels, but I'm sure it'll be worth it:

2013_04090003_zpscadc54bd.jpg

and the other bits:

2013_04090004_zps871d5153.jpg

If you are interested, and haven't already read it, I can recommend the folllowing:

GPS_zps69c16627.png

Puts the drivers of the day further into the hero category....J-P Wimile being but one. I have the Le Mans Miniatures '37 T57G which would be an appriate partner for this one, but that's for another day.

Rich

Edited by ptcruiser
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

DISASTER

There I was, manfully doing battle with the wheels, standing at what can only be described as the bottom of a very steep learning curve, one wheel down with copious scope for improvement. Moved onto number two and thought, time to try the tyre and bingo. NO TYRES. I've only gone and misplaced three bloody tyres!!!! I can't find them anywhere. I'm going to have to send off for another set and it will be unlikely that I will meet the deadline.

In the mean time the body is painted and polished (no lacquer) and interior done. Delicate bits to add and I'd be there. :weep::weep::weep:

Rich

Well, I think this is where my Mum would say, 'where did you last have them?' No, that never helped then and it sure won't help now.

I think we have all been there Rich. Ironically, they will probably be found in another model box the day after the replacements arrive.... :weep:

Even if you don't get them in time for the GB, please post pics of the finished Tank.

Steve.

Well as you asked Steve, here you go:

One wheel on my wagon. Just resting in the well and the bodywork sitting on a stack of old business cards:

2013_06080025_zpsb6282f33.jpg

2013_06080024_zpscb55e6ef.jpg

2013_06080021_zpsd9c64d75.jpg

Interior shot

2013_06080022_zps1f6f2716.jpg

Blue is Halfords Lada Adriatic blue just polished out. Dash colour is as per instructions but I have seen Ian Knott's rather splendid rendition with an aluminium version. The '37 winning T57G resides in the US and has a black dash so a figured that why would they change something like that? Also it would serve as an anti-glare finish...

Besides 3 more wheels, still have the grill work and screen to add as well as the decals.

Cheers

Rich

Edited by ptcruiser
  • Like 1

Well Rich,

apart from the 'obvious' problem with the wheels, she looks really nice. Colour looks great and I like the thought behind the anti-glare dash coating.

The Bugatti was a great looking machine and it looks like the Profil kit has captured it nicely.

Steve.