Antonov, An-2 Colt,

Hello again everyone, I`m on a roll,with two completions this week, this being my second. Hobbyboss, 1/48th scale An-2 Colt, done as

UhahaXZ.jpg

a generic North Vietnamese Transport aircraft in order for me to finish it as I had got other plans for it

zdqugjm.jpg

Originally I bought it to make a model of one of the An-2`s that attacked the CIA radio site (lima site 85) in Laos but

ptJfdMz.jpg

but got stalled as I couldn`t find enough information on any modifications done especially the mortar installation or wing protection for the rocket pods

3y5FAAz.jpg

also pictures of markings etc varied too much from different sources

Gx6qTey.jpg

so I have finished it in a way that if I find out enough it shouldn`t be too difficult to change it, should I decide to

AMFHH81.jpg

anyway, apart from the decals, which are from the stash, here it is as Mr Hobbyboss intended.

Hope you enjoy, Russ

• Like 5

Top stuff again Russ. Your really churning them out at the minute. Anyone would think you don't have to work like the rest of us poor sods. Really loving the Vietnam theme of late. Quite possibly my favourite era...

Question: The grey around the panel lines, is this a wash or pre-shading????

• Like 1

Top stuff again Russ. Your really churning them out at the minute. Anyone would think you don't have to work like the rest of us poor sods. Really loving the Vietnam theme of late. Quite possibly my favourite era...

Question: The grey around the panel lines, is this a wash or pre-shading????

Cheers Mark, It`s dry brushed on olive drab and grey, here and there, over panel lines drawn in with a mechanical pencil and smudged a bit with my thumb.

Oh yeah I work, back on shifts later this week, thanks for reminding me :)

Cheers Mark, It`s dry brushed on olive drab and grey, here and there, over panel lines drawn in with a mechanical pencil and smudged a bit with my thumb.

Oh yeah I work, back on shifts later this week, thanks for reminding me :)

Looks really good, Ill defiantly have to give that a go. I know what you mean about the shifts though. I'm on my last day now but have to come in for some BS training tomorrow.

• Like 1

Good work Russ - your stash must look like mine! An easier build than the expensive Valom version, I believe

Drat ! I`ve been rumbled :)

Russ, how did you do your rigging?

Hi Mark, firstly, before fitting the top wings but after assembling them, I drilled a 0.5mm hole straight through at every attachment point. Then on the lower wings I did the same but only through the top half.

After painting and varnishing etc I wrapped a piece of copper wire (strand from an electrical flex ) around a very small tube (about 0.8mm) and twisted it and snipped it off to make little turn buckled which I super glued into the holes in the lower wing.

Then I fitted the top wing (painted, and varnished etc) and when it was set I threaded some invisible/nylon mending thread through the top wing holes (fiddley) and tied the end to one of the turnbuckles, working one at a time from the middle out, and fixed each knot with a dab of superglue. At the top of the top wing I pulled the slack out of the thread and shoved a piece of stretched sprue with a dab of super glue on the end into the hole to secure the thread and let it dry. I also secured the thread on the underside of the wing with a blob of superglue gel.

Then when all the wires were done and the glue dry I snipped off each piece of stretched sprue, sanded flush and touched up.Also because the wires are quite thick on the actual aircraft I gave them a coat of paint afterwards.

Oh and I swore (a lot) through out the process and reminded myself why I rarely do biplanes !

• Like 1

Really nice.....how is the kit in terms of fitting ?

Was considering to get one.....but not 100% sure

Rgds

Mr b

Thanks Mr B, The fit is almost perfect, no filler used, a bit of sanding here and there, had to open some holes up as tolerances a bit tight (better this than the other way).

One quirk is that the sprue gates are on the mating faces of the parts but it`s not an issue just unusual.