A couple of old ones - Sunderland & Catalina

Now before anyone says anything - I know they are the wrong colouring for the particular marks and the cat shown doesn't match the markings used. However, they were built to go on display in my in-laws house which is sited on the old RAF Mountbatten in Plymouth. The developers of the housing complex they live in made a little faux-pas in the naming of the houses, because, according to my (admittedly limited) research, the cat never flew operationally from there, but the Sunderland did! I didn't really have time to get them as perfect as I would have liked, and to ease painting, I neglected to paint them white (which as we know can be a real bitch to get right at times). So hence the paint jobs.

The buildings that can be seen in the far background, are the original hangers, which are grade 1 listed structures so they have to remain! just everything else has gone!

DSCN6514.jpg

DSCN6511.jpg

DSCN6508.jpg

DSCN6506.jpg

(I've only just managed to get these pictures - the kits were built end of Feb. beginning March last year)

(PPS - I'm also crap at rigging hence why no bracing wires on the floats - plus I'd only been back modelling about 6 months and were the last kits I hand brushed - after these everything has been airbrushed - so the paint may seem a little ragged in places)

• Like 5

Thanks for the comments guys! At some point later this year (or maybe the next build......who knows) I have the Italeri Sunderland to build. As this is such a new kit, and I want to go all out on it, what do people recommend for rigging (not forgetting I have never rigged anything before, and want it as simple as possible!

Nice models and I still think the old Airfix Sunderland can give the new Italeri kit a run for its money.

Martin

Quite a few people use 'EZ Line'. It's stretchy, so quite forgiving. 'Little-Cars' on here sell it.

Thanks for the comments guys! At some point later this year (or maybe the next build......who knows) I have the Italeri Sunderland to build. As this is such a new kit, and I want to go all out on it, what do people recommend for rigging (not forgetting I have never rigged anything before, and want it as simple as possible!

I invested in seem ez-line for my first rigging project. However, I have to say I'm not that impressed as the line varies from the fine diameter it should be to something considerably thicker and flatter. A common problem, or bad luck on my part?

Any more suggestions on an easy to use rigging material for the italeri sunderland?

I'm going to use Ezy-Line on mine. The 'thickness' depends on the amount you stretch it. It comes as a fairly standard thickness - if I saw one with a lot of variability in the thickness I'd send it back.

Another alternative is stretched sprue, which is quite easy and suitable for what you want to do.

or

As for spraying white, I'd suggest very thin coats with a rattle can (pressure-pak) might be the best method. I used Tamiya White Primer for my Sunderland and it looks okay.

Yours are quite decent builds and of course part of the fun of modelling is to try and improve all the time.

They both look really good mate. I do love it when models are made in memory of ones used in certain places.

For example I am looking to build a Sunderland Mk 1 (from the new Italeri kit) marked up as 210 Sqn based in Oban, Scotland (that's where I live), and I am looking for a suitable Catalina kit to mark up as 209 Sqn, also based here in the war.

What kit did you use for the Cat? As it looks like the early mark I need (without its down landing gear, as the early RAF Cats were).

Cheers

• Like 1

Nice renditions there .My father used to fly a Catalina IV in the war but I've never been able to find a kit of the non amphibious type that he used to pilot only the amphibious version. I've actually got his log bog with all the types of aircraft he's flown with their serial numbers. Would be good to make a tribute to him some day. Sadly he's flown off this planet a few years back.

They both look really good mate. I do love it when models are made in memory of ones used in certain places.

For example I am looking to build a Sunderland Mk 1 (from the new Italeri kit) marked up as 210 Sqn based in Oban, Scotland (that's where I live), and I am looking for a suitable Catalina kit to mark up as 209 Sqn, also based here in the war.

What kit did you use for the Cat? As it looks like the early mark I need (without its down landing gear, as the early RAF Cats were).

Cheers

If memory serves correctly, it was an Academy kit. The kit only has decals for a US Navy version. But...I nicked the decals from an Airfix cat I had in the stash and used those instead.

The kit itself has nice fine engraved panel lines, and rivet detail. When I first built it, I had no idea about panel washes, or Klear or any thing like those. So ne of the jobs I gave my self over the Easter break, was to Klear coat the kit, and give it a once over with a Flory models dark wash.

The result is as per the picture. The panel detail, and riveting now literally pop out from the model and has improved it no end.