Gloster VI, 1/48 scale by Wiener Modellbau

This is my first entry for this GB, a lovely multi media Gloster VI;

IMG_7759_zps10cec87f.jpg

The kit really is a work of art, resin, brass struts, PE radiators;

IMG_7760_zps34b749f4.jpg

IMG_7761_zpse0be77c2.jpg

And two frets of PE bracing wires;

001-37_zps711f1465.jpg

Kit can be done either in Blue or Gold, so I'm going to be going for the Gold finish.

Bit of history;

Two aircraft, with serial numbers N249 & N250, were built, the first flying on 25 August 1929, and the second on 31 August

They showed promise and high speed, but also had significant problems with fuel supply when banking that led to engine cut-outs. For such a risky business as low-altitude air-racing, this was an unacceptable risk and the aircraft were withdrawn from competition in the 1929 Schneider Trophy, leaving the way clear for the Supermarine S6 to win. An alternative theory for the withdrawal is rumoured to have been an accident to the lorry delivering the engines from Napier, and insufficient time to repair the damage until the day after.

On 10 September 1929, the day after the Supermarine S.6 had won the Trophy, N249 returned to flight. Flight Lieutenant George Stainforth flew her over a measured mile course for a top speed of 351.3 mph and a ratified world absolute speed record, averaged over four runs of 336.3 mph.This record was held only briefly, as a later run by Squadron Leader Augustus Orlebar in the S.6 managed to raise it over 350 mph.

During the final Schneider Trophy in 1931, the Gloster VI was still in service with the High Speed Flight for training purposes.

Edited by Doug Rogers

Doug, that looks a fab kit - always loved the story of the Schneider Trophy as a kid and those a/c and the Macchi are just so sleek!

• Like 1

Good luck with that, I got it from Telford year before last, it's not cheap mate...I got it for around £73, and it's limited edition, 500 units.

here's the website : http://www.wmm.at/aviation-line/21-gloster-vi.html

Looks like they're out of stock.

I'd love to have a Macchi M.39 in 1/48, a Japanese firm caled Noix Models used to do one, but they're long OOP and virtually unobtainable now. :(

Edited by Doug Rogers

Yes they are out of stock - cos the box is now on my shelf!!!!!

Looking forward to following this build. Not sure if I can fit mine in this year, though it doesn't look difficult - save for the bending of those wing radiators.

I am not entirely convinced by the colour schemes. I think the 'all' gold machine should actually have white floats, or maybe even BMF. White would look better and fit a little better with the blue, gold and white colour scheme of N250.

Good luck Doug, I will be watching with interest.

cheers

Grant

According to Robert Hirsch's "Schneider Trophy Racers"

The fuselage, wing and empennage were painted gold and the radiators were copper. Floats were light blue except for the copper radiators

Made a start this morning, I'd forgotten how much I dislike PE!

004-38_zpsbb5ba029.jpg

005-33_zpsb1421131.jpg

Glued the rudder to the main fuselage;

006-29_zpsb526e387.jpg

Elevators to the horizontal stabilisers;

007-26_zpse84f40ed.jpg

Get some more done later in the week.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John, yes it's interesting, how would we have faired at the outbreak of WWII if Supermarine hadn't built the S4, S5 and S6's, encouraging Rolls-Royce to build their racing engines, which evolved into the Merlins and Griffons.

Interesting the Germans never got involved in the Schneider Trophy, I guess they were prevented by the terms of the Treaty of Versailles.

Got some more PE work done today.

So here is one of the radiator panels as removed from the fret;

001-37_zps025b4ddb.jpg

I used one of the floats and the handle of a file to roll it slightly, roughly into the right contour for the wing;

002-40_zps2265e2c5.jpg

Pretty much there now, just the small locating plates for the bracing wires;

003-49_zps8ee681d4.jpg

005-33_zps01e492d4.jpg

More soon.

Looking good Doug.

I wouldn't fancy trying to get those delicate curves into brass - well done!

Did you anneal the brass?

Cliff

No I didn't anneal it as I was concerned it might discolour it. I got it to as near the shape as possible, clamped it and ran some extra thin CA glue around the edges.

As PE goes it seems quite forgiving, not sure if it's because it seems quite thick compared to some of the Eduard stuff I've tried to use in the past.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally managed to get some more done today.

Drilled and pinned the tailplanes;

002-40_zps3a599a6a.jpg

001-37_zps6744f239.jpg

Then masked her up and got some Alclad Pale Gold on;

003-49_zps17b15d07.jpg

005-33_zps391a38f9.jpg

Painted up the floats in Alclad Aluminium, so going to try and get them on tomorrow if I get time.

• Like 1