Revell Avro Lancaster Mk 3

Good evening to you all. This is the first model that i have posted on this forum. A4_zpsfca56960.jpg5_zps745e5895.jpg2_zps6006e63e.jpg6_zpsb24201d0.jpg7_zpsa88d3e12.jpg1_zps290db744.jpgfter a 50 plus year wait I have finally got my Lancaster, my first way back in the 50s ended up going blob blob blob on the ground after putting a match to it , which seemed to happen to most of my attempts in those days !, but it was great fun watching that plastic melt wasnt it !!.

This is also the first model that i tried out my mini studio with that i knocked up at the weekend . If you would like to see how i made it then you can see here; http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234937264-building-a-mini-studio-on-the-cheap/

Please feel free to criticize, i am still young enough to learn ; And thank you for help and advice on exaust stains, but after all its only a load of hot old air!!.

• Like 5

Welcome to the madness and what a first entry awsome lanc there I really must have a crack at one myself soon. Still got my knackerd child effort in the loft but she's worse for wear.

She looks spanking mate can't wait to see more of your creations.

Cheers Rob

just finished watching "dambusters" five pictures down, that looks just like a flying scene from the programme ,can almost

hear those merlins purring away!!

dont be sacrificing this one to the great modelling gods

(know what you mean thought,once had a me262 go airbourne with the help of two mini rockets in the engine pods ,flew for about ten feet before it went inverted into the ground and exploded!!!)

Edited by buccy mad

Thank you for your kind and encouraging comments and as learn t me a lesson or two, I finished the lanc a few weeks ago, and I should have paid more attention to the dust, next time I will taking the pics a soon as the final coat is dry !! ; Secondly the morning after putting the balances on I had another look at the instructions and realized that i had put them on wrong, however being such a fiddle to get on and having already painted the yellow rudders I decided to live and let live.

i will be the first to admit that i am not an aviation expert, and did not have a clue what they were, had I have known i could have seen the logic on putting them on the correct way in the first place, but i thought they were hinges or something like that. Also I am not quite sure if Grogs Shot had the dome underneath, but i was totally confused with the painting chart because on one drawing it was in place and on the other it wasn't .

If i have one gripe with revell kits then it is their instruction sheets assuming that everyone is an expert on these matters with all their question marks ever where; If memory serves me well at least back in the early days of Airfix the part numbers were not marked on the sprues Instead with an exploded view of the aircraft on one side there was a detailed paragraph by paragraph guide on the construction sequence naming what the parts were; because of this I learn t the basic aircraft components from a very early age. It wont be too soon when they print instructions like that once more.

Here's an easy solution to dust - you can use it on fully-rigged FE2bs and all else without problem: take two old spray bottles and rinse them out thoroughly, then fill with tap water. Pour a thimblefull of liquid dishwater detergent in one, leave the other alone. Then use the one with the soap and spray the model thoroughly, then rinse with the other one. Allow to air dry. Presto! No dust and no broken-off little bits.

Nice Lanc BTW - with the "toothpick" props rather than the paddle props, it's a Mk.I rather than a Mk.III (AFAIK, the only visual difference between the two other than serials).

Edited by TCinLA

Blimey, Tom, does that really work? I've been doing it the hard way all these years with my rigged biplanes, very delicate dusting with old paint brushes!

Stuck: Well done with your Lancaster. You have clocked up a lot of firsts with that! It appears to me from the pictures that your painting and decal application are already to a high standard. What are you planning on next?

Edited by Work In Progress

Blimey, Tom, does that really work? I've been doing it the hard way all these years with my rigged biplanes, very delicate dusting with old paint brushes!

Stuck: Well done with your Lancaster. You have clocked up a lot of firsts with that! It appears to me from the pictures that your painting and decal application are already to a high standard. What are you planning on next?

I am just preparing my Italerie Sunderland for painting . Right now i am waiting to have cataracts removed so i have to keep my sessions short otherwise i end up seeing double.

With something haveing so much black as the Lanc things can start looking a bit monotonous, So I painted the main body work with Tamiya black with the tiniest drop of red brown and a bit more deck tan believe it or not you get a very deep blue tinge with the deck tan, the props with a very old tin of humbrol metalic black, the spinners and wheels a little bit more black and the tyres with my favorite revell no 9 . For the finish I used Pebeo mat mixed with just a touch of satin ; Pebeo is about as mat as you can get and on my previous model it was so dead it looked a bit dusty, so doing it with a slight shine means that you can do the tyres mat and this give a bit more variation. If you look at any aircraft not all of it has exactly the same sheen. I did have a sleepless night with the finish because the first coa

Excuse me for that i pressed the send button by mistake!!,

As explaining the first coat of finish gave off a blue sheen, but in the morning another very wet coat corrected it, i have had this problem before with acrilics so for the Sunderland I have just got hold of a bottle of alclad mat, but after trying it out its not flat enough, so i will get another bottle of dead flat and mix the 2 ; Lesson learnt with this model , exhaust stains go on after the final finish, cause their dead flat !!

Lipkicker, got no secrets! , it was Tamiya XF3 with a little bit of X6 orange, agree with you did it first with just yellow but didnt look right The camo was tamiya dark green, and humbrol 29 dark earth.

Excellent build! I've got the "Dambusters" version of this kit getting ready to go on my bench here soon.... are there any pitfalls in the build process I should look out for?

Yea , the instructions!!, have eyes in the back of your head all the way through !!, apart from that goes together well.

• Like 1