Revell 1/72 Halifax II with Aeroclub, Eduard, Freightdog and Quickboost

Hello everyone

Just thought I'd post some photos of my Revell Halifax. It's been a long, hard build.

To summarise, the following have been used:

Aeroclub replacement engine cowlings and props to replace the grossly outsized kit ones. They are pretty 'short-run' in quality, and need quite a bit of fettling (fill, then sand, then fill, then sand...and repeat!)
Wheels (main and tail) and the smaller engine intakes (on the top and lower sides) are from the Freightdog set
Quickboost 'saxophone' exhausts and gun barrels
Eduard interior etch set
Fully scratch-built cockpit interior - Revell's is pretty fictitious/non-existant at times!

The model is completed as DT675 EQ-O of 408 Sqn. This Halifax was seriously damaged on a raid over Cologne on February 27th 1943, ending up inverted over the target area with one prop shot off, and three engines damaged. Maps were lost, and the compasses damaged. The pilot, S/Ldr Edward Gerard Gilmore RCAF, with the aid of Navigator Sgt James William Taylor Smith from Bedlington, Northumberland, managed to find their way back home to make a forced landing. Gilmore was awarded the DFC, and Smith the DFM. Both would be lost in Halifax BB336 on April 5th 1943 on a mission to Kiel.

Paints are Xtracrylix Dark Earth and Dark Green for the upper sides, Revell Black undersides. Decals are Xtradecal from their various RAF roundels and RAF dull red codes sheets.

Anyway, enough babbling, here are the photos:

revell-hali-01

revell-hali-02

revell-hali-03

revell-hali-04

revell-hali-06

revell-hali-05

Hopefully Revell will release an updated Halifax with the Tempsford nose (and corrected engine cowlings - the it ones are way out in size), and perhaps even a B. Mk. III...

Regards

Simon

Edited by Simon
relinking images from Photobucket to Flickr
  • Like 12

Hopefully Revell will release an updated Halifax with the Tempsford nose (and corrected engine cowlings - the it ones are way out in size), and perhaps even a B. Mk. III...

Regards

Simon

Amen to that!

Congratulations Simon. That's a fine build.

Cheers

Thanks for all the comments. Here are a few more shots.

Firstly, the comparison between the Revell (left) and Aeroclub (right) engine cowlings, showing how bloated the kit's ones are:

revell-hali-09

And here are a couple showing the work done to the cockpit areas:

revell-hali-08

revell-hali-07

Regards

Simon

Edited by Simon
relinking images from Photobucket to Flickr
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Did you modify the dorsal turret at all?

Yes, I added the internal bulkhead between the glazed front the solid rear (as I did with the nose turret), new internals including gun mounts and added Quickboost gun barrels. I did some work on the rear turret too - I've got some photos I took during the build somewhere...

Thank you for the kind words everyone - it was a long haul, but worth it..!!

Simon

I really like that, the corrections and additions have made a huge difference, and the finish is top quality. A lovely, lovely job.

Cheers

John

One of the nicest Halifaxs i have seen in a long time :goodjob: Just one observation , should the code letters be that high up the fuslarge sides ?

The short answer is: I don't really know... :shrug:

There are no photos of DT675 around, but I've found a few images of 408 Sqn Halifaxes, including this one that show the codes overlapping the camouflage demarcation line, quite high on the fuselage:

http://www.canadianwings.com/cmsAdmin/uploads/aircraft/gallery/PL-19510lrg_408-Squadron.jpg

and thought I'd follow that. I've seen photos of other Halifaxes from other Squadrons with a similar style, although not so high up the fuselage side.

Regards

Simon

Hi Simon

Superb job and the cockpit is stunning.

I really appreciated the extra work in building a particular aircraft with special history, can I ask how you came to choose this one over other Halifaxs ?

Cheers Pat