New 1/72 Airfix Dambuster

Here's a quick OOB build of the new tool Airfix Dambuster Lanc, built for a commemorative display at Cosford

P1080663_zpsde565cd7.jpg

P1080669_zps8b724a95.jpg

P1080670_zpsbffc078e.jpg

P1080672_zpsadc379a1.jpg

I'll leave it to those of you who are more 'Lancaster savvy' than me to provide a proper critique of this new release, but IMHO you won't be disappointed!

Cliff

• Like 10

Looks very good to me, detail in the undercarriage bay seems to be excellent.

I for one am very glad with what the new Airfix is doing!

Cheers

John

Thanks guys :)

Steve, I think it's going to be released next weekend (the link in my opening post gives a few more details).

Perhaps I should also have said that N Nancy is not a decal option in the kit (to avoid any confusion from me saying that it was an OOB build).

Cliff

Superb !!,

Thats about the only reason to be back home in sunny Shropshire !!

Flawless building, will it be on display this week end in time for the model show?

Tim.

Edit, should have clicked on the link first, yes it will!

Edited by tank152

Whats the cockpit detailing like?

Hi Dave

I'm no expert, but from what I've seen from other builds on BM, the Airfix cockpit detailing is similar to (although possibly slightly more refined than), Revell's offering. Moulded fuselage ribs, plus decals for major switch panels etc (including maps for the navigator's table).

No photos I'm afraid...

Cliff

Very nice indeed - and at least you don't have to drill out all the fuselage windows this time!

John

And by the looks of it the this time there is no Z equipment to be removed from the bomb aimer's blister.

Cheers

Anyone have any idea how much the Lanc kits will be? Someone suggested around £30 to me which is a lot compared to Revell or even the earlier Airfix kit. It seems as though you have produced a lovely model with it though!

Simon

Thanks to the wonders of Mr Alexander Graham Bell, Alan Turing and Tim Berners Lee, we can now look up such matters: :banghead:

http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/new-for-2013/aircraft-172-scale/a08001-avro-lancaster-bii-172-a08001/

http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/new-for-2013/aircraft-172-scale/a09007-avro-lancaster-dambusters-172-a09007/

RRRP is £24.99 for the B.II and £29.99 for the Dambuster version but - usual caveat applies - some retailers are likely to do be doing them for less than that.

Thanks to the wonders of Mr Alexander Graham Bell, Alan Turing and Tim Berners Lee, we can now look up such matters: :banghead:

http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/new-for-2013/aircraft-172-scale/a08001-avro-lancaster-bii-172-a08001/

http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/new-for-2013/aircraft-172-scale/a09007-avro-lancaster-dambusters-172-a09007/

RRRP is £24.99 for the B.II and £29.99 for the Dambuster version but - usual caveat applies - some retailers are likely to do be doing them for less than that.

Knew there were plenty of people cleverer than me!

Simon

• Like 1

Cliff, I think a pic of the Upkeep and bomb bay would be useful and interesting for us. Any chance?

Cheers

Hi Chaddy

Here are a couple of more shots as requested.

P1080681_zps17378956.jpg

P1080682_zps534eada9.jpg

Hard to see much of the bomb bay with everything closed up, but it is very nicely detailed.

I should also say that there is a nice bomb (or should that be 'mine'), trolley included in the kit. I haven't made it, but it looks good on the sprue.

Please excuse my bodged painting on the 'altitude lamps' - I don't normally let strangers see the undersides of my models!

Cliff

• Like 1

Hi Chaddy

Here are a couple of more shots as requested.

P1080681_zps17378956.jpg

P1080682_zps534eada9.jpg

Hard to see much of the bomb bay with everything closed up, but it is very nicely detailed.

I should also say that there is a nice bomb (or should that be 'mine'), trolley included in the kit. I haven't made it, but it looks good on the sprue.

Please excuse my bodged painting on the 'altitude lamps' - I don't normally let strangers see the undersides of my models!

Cliff

Many thanks Cliff; much appreciated.

It's good to see that they've included the hinges on the front fairing too. The inclusion of the trolley opens up the possibility of displaying the aircraft with the forward fairing open and the mine on the trolley awaiting loading.

Nice work, btw.

Edit: Cliff. The rear Aldis lamp...I'm a bit suspicious of it's location. Is that where the kit positions it?

Cheers

Edited by chaddy

That is an absolute stunner. I can't wait to see it at cosford.

I'd like to try my hand at one if these someday.

Gorgeous finish mate,

Airfix really are a great company :)