AEW Seakings

Julien

While watching a programme on the long and distinguished service of the Seaking a question came to mind, what are they replacing the AEW Seakings with?

Julien

I believe there are plans to converting some RAF Merlins to have a radar that folds out from the ramp. Although I haven't seen any pics yet.

Probably nothing. The taliban don't have submarines after all. Sorry that's not a helpful response but it wouldn't surprise me if it was close to the truth given current thinking and budgets.

Edit. Sorry, stupid answer. Not only the taliban but nobody has flying subs as far as I'm aware. I'll get my coat.

Edited by Filler

I believe there are plans to converting some RAF Merlins to have a radar that folds out from the ramp. Although I haven't seen any pics yet.

So another lash up then, can we not operate anything better?

Julien

I think that actullay looks better than the AEW Sea King. Should be a fair bit more space inside too.

No catapults or arrester wires Graham.

Could they not fit something into a fairing like the size of the one under current navy Merlins? That setup just looks weird, like a dog with its tail between its legs.

The Sea King AEW replacement program is called Crowsnest and project funding should be sanctioned later this year although the aircraft probably won't be in service till 2020.

The current trend is for a bolt-on solution using the ASW Merlins rather than the HC3 as we'll need those to replace the Junglies.

Their are two contenders, one is to use the Watchkeeper mounted to a frame on the side of the HM2 Merlin

Thales+Merlin+MASC+proposal.jpg

And the LM(UK) Vigilent radar which is a podded version of the F-35C mounted in side pods on adapted weapon stations

2039622_merlin.jpg

The Sea King AEW replacement program is called Crowsnest and project funding should be sanctioned later this year although the aircraft probably won't be in service till 2020.

The current trend is for a bolt-on solution using the ASW Merlins rather than the HC3 as we'll need those to replace the Junglies.

Their are two contenders, one is to use the Watchkeeper mounted to a frame on the side of the HM2 Merlin

Thales+Merlin+MASC+proposal.jpg

And the LM(UK) Vigilent radar which is a podded version of the F-35C mounted in side pods on adapted weapon stations

2039622_merlin.jpg

I think the second option would be better, uses modern off the shelf technology (plus a few mods I know) and would allow it to link up with American systems.

I think the second option would be better, uses modern off the shelf technology (plus a few mods I know) and would allow it to link up with American systems.

While attaching the equipment to a weapons hardpoint will allow for a great deal of versatility and the capacity to install it on other aircraft the radar currently fitted to the Sea King ASaC.7 is one of the best available and would probably integrate easily to the Merlin. Plus it can already be linked to American systems. It's called interoperability and we've been doing it for years. :bleh:

Plus it can already be linked to American systems. It's called interoperability and we've been doing it for years. :bleh:

Of course we do! I wasn't functioning properly when I posted last night (5 past 12 or something stupid like that). ;)

Wouldn't the current radar be reaching the end of its potential development, then I can foresee them having to find a replacement radar 5/6 years after its fitted to Merlins when they could have fitted a newer system to begin with.

Admittedly I'm not a radar expert, but I suspect that the current ASaC radar is likely to remain at the top of its game for some while yet, and as the Royal Navy already own enough units to equip a replacement ASaC force, it would be a low cost, low risk option to install it in the Merlin. An MLU/replacement would be required after a few years no matter what radar was used, in any case.

I do think the alternative has potential for use on a number of different platforms, but for now there will be a big enough capability gap (or holiday as they like to call them these days) that using the existing fit on a new aircraft would be, in my opinion, more appropriate.

The Italian AEW variant seems to be aimed more at providing control of surface targets, although it has the capability of discovering aircrafts and missile that fly below the level of the helicopter. The idea is to use it in conjunction with the ships' radars, with the helicopter covering from sea level to say 4500 ft and the ships covering the level above. It's been in service for less than a year but has been under development since 2009 at least. I'm sure that any information would have been passed to the RN, if it's not been selected it's because it probably does not fulfil the requirements

I`ve always thought that Hawkeyes and a fleet of cat and trap strike fighters (Hornets or Lightning II) was the more logical way to go for the Royal Navy`s new carriers and I remember visiting Culdrose at the end of Gulf War II when there was a US Navy Hawkeye demonstrating its capabilities to 849 NAS.

The new helicopter born ASaC `lash up' and reversion to STOL/VL fixed wing aircraft just smacks of `second best' in my opinion and although I understand the economic climate very well it has been a massively `missed chance' for the Fleet Air Arm.

The pessimist in me thinks that whatever arrives in fixed winged service, the RAF will just claim that as its own (after all `Their Airships' have finally killed off the fixed wing FAA) , we`ll be lucky if even one carrier enters service and there will be a `holiday' in capability after the Sea King ASaC is retired that nobody will get around to filling,....until maybe after the Argentinians have another go at the Falklands!!

Oh dear,...got out of the wrong side of the bed today,...ba humbug!

Cheers

Tony O

Edited by tonyot

Wasn't one of the QE-class carriers being turned into an "helicopter assault ship" leaving us with only one 'real' carrier?? I guess we will just have to see what the next SDSR throws up, you never know, we might come out of it with lots of new "toys"... yeah right...

Kind Regards,

Dazz

If the Sea King radar is moved bodily to the Merlin, what odds on the same radars being slung under the noses of ancient RAF heavies in thirty years' time?

Not the Airbus tankers surely !!!!! FLY NAVY :hobbyhorse::whistle:

Edited by Grizzly

This Westland Agusta 'Demonstrator' flew down to Culdrose Air Day in 2010:

8609518331_1f3be63200_b.jpg

That's the worse dose of piles I have ever seen on a chopper............................................ :coat::whistle: