Revell Halifax Mk.II- Freightdog Update Set- Coastal Command Scheme

Hi Tony, looks fantastic.

Ive got the kit and the Freightdog set so hope mine turns out as good ad yours.

Had a coffee with Jean Piere last monday night he speaks very highly of you.

Cheers Steve.

Hi Tony, looks fantastic.

Ive got the kit and the Freightdog set so hope mine turns out as good ad yours.

Had a coffee with Jean Piere last monday night he speaks very highly of you.

Cheers Steve.

Thanks Steve and Neil,

Steve, I hope Jean Pierre is keeping well, he is a top bloke! How is he getting on with his new sheet,...no names,..no pack drill?

cheers

Tony O

What a Great build :wow: Great to see a west wales Halifax. Met a guy once who was a radio operator on these out of St Davids!! GOT to have a go at on of these! :goodjob:

• 2 years later...

That,s a stunner Tony,missed it when first posted just a little before I became a BM member,I,ve just got the newer boxing with a coastal command

scheme included and was trawling around for images and inspiration and now I,ve got it,love the subtle weathering this might just have tipped the balance on which scheme to do!

Edited by stevej60

Why not go for both, my next one will probably be a Special Duties or Glider Tug aircraft,

Cheers

Tony O

Well, now I could do both. I have both Freightdog sets and the boys from work gave me another Revell Halifax kit for my retirement. Now if I can source a set of good 4-blade props, I'm good to go.

Chris

• 4 years later...

Another masterpiece, Tony! Love the choice of scheme and as the others have commented, the Freightdog bits really help the appearance of the finished model. I second the comment that this is the best Halifax build seen so far! You are da man! Call me crazy, but my favorite is the No. 58 Sq. GR Mark II series 1A, HR686 'J' with the triangular fins and 6-stack exhausts.

Mike

• Like 1

I missed this one the first time round, Tony. Looks spectacular.  The Coastal scheme really suits the Halifax.  Presumably you started with the B.III as the basis?  Also, did you brush paint the white?  The coverage looks great.  I also really like how you've highlighted the panel lines.  It definitely prevents the model from looking too 'white'.  Looks spot on to me.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 12:24 AM, 72modeler said:

Another masterpiece, Tony! Love the choice of scheme and as the others have commented, the Freightdog bits really help the appearance of the finished model. I second the comment that this is the best Halifax build seen so far! You are da man! Call me crazy, but my favorite is the No. 58 Sq. GR Mark II series 1A, HR686 'J' with the triangular fins and 6-stack exhausts.

Mike

Cheers Mike,

Wow,..... thats saying something,...... I don`t think so but cheers anyway. I know the Halibag you mean,..... the one with the Tollerton Z Nose fairing,.... yeah might be on the to do list at some stage,...... but I want an Airborne Forces glider tug first. 

All the best mate,

Tony

On 10/13/2019 at 10:31 AM, Meatbox8 said:

I missed this one the first time round, Tony. Looks spectacular.  The Coastal scheme really suits the Halifax.  Presumably you started with the B.III as the basis?  Also, did you brush paint the white?  The coverage looks great.  I also really like how you've highlighted the panel lines.  It definitely prevents the model from looking too 'white'.  Looks spot on to me.

Cheers mate,

Yeah I love the Halifax in the coastal scheme,....... then again I love anything in the coastal scheme LOL!! I started with the Merlin engined B.II kit as the basis and I used a rattle can for the white,....... life is just too short these days for brush painting colours like white, red and yellow over large areas! It was rather `BRIGHT' so I dirtied it up with MiG pigment powders and a watercolour wash,......  

All the best,

Tony

11 hours ago, kapam said:

A most impressive looking Halifax!

Really a beautiful build.  Congratulations!

:goodjob::clap:

Thank you very much Kapam,..... glad you like it and cheers for saying so,

All the best

Tony

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

Cheers mate,

Yeah I love the Halifax in the coastal scheme,....... then again I love anything in the coastal scheme LOL!! I started with the Merlin engined B.II kit as the basis and I used a rattle can for the white,....... life is just too short these days for brush painting colours like white, red and yellow over large areas! It was rather `BRIGHT' so I dirtied it up with MiG pigment powders and a watercolour wash,......  

All the best,

Tony

Thank you very much Kapam,..... glad you like it and cheers for saying so,

All the best

Tony

I quite agree.  I have a Saunders Roe SR.53, a Nimrod and a Shackleton all awaiting a date with a can of Halford's Appliance White and some decent weather.  If only this wretched rain would stop.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2015 at 6:17 PM, dogsbody said:

Now if I can source a set of good 4-blade props, I'm good to go.

Chris,

Would two sets of the Maestro 4-blade Mossie props, MMCK-7278 work? Or Paragon 72074? (They might be hard to find, methinks!) Blackbird also did a set, BMA 72-005. I had squirreled away 4 props and spinners from my Heller Mk XVI's for just such a project, since I have two of  the new Eduard kits, I'm just using the Heller kits for detailing parts. Several other aftermarket firms do the 4-blade Rotols for Spitfires, but that would be a pretty pricey way to go. Hope this helps!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Chris,

Would two sets of the Maestro 4-blade Mossie props, MMCK-7278 work? Or Paragon 72074? (They might be hard to find, methinks!) Blackbird also did a set, BMA 72-005. I had squirreled away 4 props and spinners from my Heller Mk XVI's for just such a project, as with the new Eduard kit, I'm just using the Heller kits for detailing parts. Several other aftermarket firms do the 4-blade Rotols for Spitfires, but that would be a pretty pricey way to go. Hope this helps!

Mike

Cheers Chris,..... I`ve been squirelling 4 bladed Spit props away too,....... but I have a set of Aeroclub 4 bladers for the old Matchbox kit somewhere and I might try them with the Aeroclub conversion set for the Revell kit,...... hopefully that will be the way I`ll be going for the A.Mk.V model,..... I might even start it after the Albemarle and Hamilcar are finished?

All the best

Tony 

4 hours ago, tonyot said:

Cheers Chris,..... I`ve been squirelling 4 bladed Spit props away too,....... but I have a set of Aeroclub 4 bladers for the old Matchbox kit somewhere and I might try them with the Aeroclub conversion set for the Revell kit,...... hopefully that will be the way I`ll be going for the A.Mk.V model,..... I might even start it after the Albemarle and Hamilcar are finished?

All the best

Tony 

I have a couple sets of those Aeroclub 4-bladers, too. It's just the issue of getting a spinner to fit the Revell/Freightdog nacelle nose.

48925726671_48f5c3691e_c.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I have a couple sets of those Aeroclub 4-bladers, too. It's just the issue of getting a spinner to fit the Revell/Freightdog nacelle nose.

48925726671_48f5c3691e_c.jpg

Chris

Thats it Chris,..... they definitely don`t fit the Freightdog conversion,...... but I spoke to John Adams about it and he was pretty certain that they would fit his conversion,.... which is why I elected for that set instead.

Cheers mate

Tony

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tonyot said:

Thats it Chris,..... they definitely don`t fit the Freightdog conversion,...... but I spoke to John Adams about it and he was pretty certain that they would fit his conversion,.... which is why I elected for that set instead.

Cheers mate

Tony

Is that conversion set still available? Last I remember hearing was that it's a bit rare and hard to find.

Chris

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Is that conversion set still available? Last I remember hearing was that it's a bit rare and hard to find.

Chris

It is as rare as hens teeth,..... I snaffled a few when John released them. 

16 minutes ago, Tom R said:

@John Aero should get someone to re-issue that conversion. it's better than the freightdog one. Nice job on the one Tony - I missed it before.

Cheers Tom,..... yeah John`s conversion it is certainly the most accurate one available and I`m looking forward to giving it a go. 

I've been hoping Freightdog would do a set of 4-bladers to go with his radiator/lower cowling sets. I've mentioned it to him before.

DO YOU HEAR ME, COLIN !!!! We Halifax fans really need this.

Chris

• Like 2