Vietnam Beaver

Now there`s a web search title that sounds like it could get you into trouble !

Just finished my Hobbycraft U-6A Beaver, Vietnam boxing

SAM_5841_zps7b295551.jpg

that I `ve done to represent an aircraft of 314 SMS, 33TW, Republic of Vietnam Air Force circa 1970

SAM_5844_zps1af88dfe.jpg

which is an option in the box

SAM_5845_zpsf2d9fb84.jpg

Hobbycraft had the idea of moulding the complete fuselage as a transparency which is great if you don`t like gluing windows in

SAM_5847_zpsa10ea787.jpg

but not so great when it comes to painting it afterwards which was a pain, other wise it`s a very basic kit

SAM_5846_zps5f84c0f7.jpg

which I hope I`ve done enough work to improve its appearance and hide its shortcomings.

hope you enjoy looking at, Happy Easter Russ

• Like 4

What an interesting scheme for this aircraft and I've certainly never seen it before. A super rendition and a nice treat from the Easter Bunny!

Cheers McClure, Yeah the scheme makes it stand out a bit, I couldn`t find an official scheme for them so just went along with Hobbycrafts suggestion and I did find similar schemes on Google images.

Oh, It's an aeroplane :whistle:

Very nice Russ, I'm enjoying seeing your collection of Vietnamese/USAF aircrraft building up. I've heard that the kit is can be a bit of a struggle to build, any thoughts on that?

Looks lovely in that camo by the way.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Oh, It's an aeroplane :whistle:

Very nice Russ, I'm enjoying seeing your collection of Vietnamese/USAF aircrraft building up. I've heard that the kit is can be a bit of a struggle to build, any thoughts on that?

Looks lovely in that camo by the way.

Cheers

John

Thanks John, It`s not hard to build really, it`s very basic and has minimal parts count, the difficulty is around the transparent fuselage halves, ie masking windows and putting enough paint on it so the whole things not translucent when you hold it up to sunlight and cleaning up the fuselage seam is a bit of a pain.

But it only gives you a basic aircraft, all the antenna, aerials, collision light etc all need to be added by you . I also made some rudimentary radio gear for the rear bulk head, some webbing and floor detail but you can`t really see it .

Russ,

Great finish......I've been after one of these for a while and wondered what the kit was like.....now I have a more reasonable idea I'll get one for myself. My father had to fly in and out of jungle strips in Malaysia during the 1960s in one of these so I'd like to do an Army Air Corps aircraft with all the dayglo striping etc.......Thanks for the inspiration

Mark

• Like 1

That is one well presented beaver. :innocent:

Oh I wish I'd said that !! - Seen the scheme before in pics, but never as a built model. Really like that, well done, sir.

Ian

• Like 1

Thanks John, It`s not hard to build really, it`s very basic and has minimal parts count, the difficulty is around the transparent fuselage halves, ie masking windows and putting enough paint on it so the whole things not translucent when you hold it up to sunlight and cleaning up the fuselage seam is a bit of a pain.

Hi Russ,

that an excellent Beaver simply fantastic!

Regarding your trouble with the fuselage halves I would have painted them on the inside (except the windows of course!) with a good covering colour to make the paint cover better on the outside or maybe sanded them opaque (on the inside that is!).

Regards

Nicolai

• Like 1

Nice job on the Beaver Russ. We don't see many on here. As you say, its not a bad kit to build. I built one back in 2004( the year I had my first Beaver flightfrom Vancouver) on floats and the Harbour Air colours I may have to do a picture and post here with my 1/72nd ones too!

• Like 1