HMS Prince of Wales, Betty and Nell

Hi Everyone, thought I`d show you some pic`s of my fourth Maritime effort, Tamiyas Prince of Wales

SAM_1062.jpg

along with two of her assailants which came with the kit

SAM_1057.jpg

apart from the kit contents I used some generic etched railings

SAM_1058.jpg

quite a bit of copper wire to detail the masts and rigging

SAM_1061.jpg

rebuilt the cranes using strips of plastic sheet to replace the solid kit items

SAM_1054.jpg

didn`t weather it too much to try and portray the paint scheme before it faded

SAM_1057.jpg

and finally a close up of its nemises

SAM_1049_zps5ed1375b.jpg

hope you enjoy looking at

• Like 8

She looks absolutely cracking mate. :goodjob:

Did you have to do/show the aircraft though? Perhaps I'm just a sentimental old fool.

It just saddens things, as her loss, along with HMS Repulse, was a great blow the the Royal Navy and the nation, especially when Britain had already demonstrated what air power could achieve against capital ships.

But then, I suppose hindsight is a wonderful thing.

To me, the loss of these two ships was even more tragic than the loss of HMS Hood as she was sunk in a fight that battleships were designed to fight. And of course Prince of Wales was there!

I'll shut up now as I can see myself getting in to trouble.

Edited by Deacon
  • Like 4

Very nice job Russ C, especially with rebuilding the cranes yourself. Nice job on the a/c too. How did you go about painting the canopies and frames in that small a scale?

I always thought it was an interesting idea by Tamiya to include them, perhaps with a smirk on their faces, afterall, did they include swordfish with the Bismarck?

Bruce

• Like 1

She looks absolutely cracking mate. :goodjob:

Did you have to do/show the aircraft though? Perhaps I'm just a sentimental old fool.

It just saddens things, as her loss, along with HMS Repulse, was a great blow the the Royal Navy and the nation, especially when Britain had already demonstrated what air power could achieve against capital ships.

But then, I suppose hindsight is a wonderful thing.

To me, the loss of these two ships was even more tragic than the loss of HMS Hood as she was sunk in a fight that battleships were designed to fight. And of course Prince of Wales was there!

I'll shut up now as I can see myself getting in to trouble.

Thanks for your comments Deacon,

I must admit I never gave it a thought when I posted the aircraft, I only did them to see if I could.

Cheers Russ

Very nice job Russ C, especially with rebuilding the cranes yourself. Nice job on the a/c too. How did you go about painting the canopies and frames in that small a scale?

I always thought it was an interesting idea by Tamiya to include them, perhaps with a smirk on their faces, afterall, did they include swordfish with the Bismarck?

Bruce

Thanks Bruce,

I don`t know if Tamiya included Swordfish with the Bismark, Like I said to Deacon I only did them to see if I could.

As for painting the canopies, with very clean glasses, daylight, a very small brush and several attempts.

Cheers Russ

Let me be the third to congratulate you on a ship that will go down in history.

Well as history shows, the loss of the two battleships was our own fault, with miss understandings and incompitance by our own side.

The Japanese good or bad took the advantage. :confused:

Good sailers paid with there lives.

On a happier note.

Very nice build there Russ.

The camo looks top notch :coolio:

• Like 1

Very nice build Russ, especially the cranes! If you want another pair of aircraft you can have mine, just PM me. I did notice that Tamiya did not include any U.S. aircraft with their Yamato!! :winkgrin: Jockster.

• Like 2

Very nice build Russ, especially the cranes! If you want another pair of aircraft you can have mine, just PM me. I did notice that Tamiya did not include any U.S. aircraft with their Yamato!! :winkgrin: Jockster.

Cheers, but I`ll give the aircraft a miss I think :unsure:

• 4 months later...

Hi Russ

Really great job of the Prince of Wales, who would have thought it would evoke the emotions it has. I would take it as a credit to the quality of the build.

Without wishing to stir things too much :wicked: do Tamiya make a B29 superfortress and if so is it Enola Gay ?

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Hi Russ

Really great job of the Prince of Wales, who would have thought it would evoke the emotions it has. I would take it as a credit to the quality of the build.

Without wishing to stir things too much :wicked: do Tamiya make a B29 superfortress and if so is it Enola Gay ?

Cheers Pat

I think I`ll stay out of that one Pat !! Thanks for looking and commenting though

Really nice!

Is this a specific edition, or a common box?

I mean, with the two torpédo planes?

Cheers Antoine, as far as I know it`s just the standard boxing