1/48 Yak-23 from Ardpol Rant

Brent

Howdy Gang,

I am working on a Yak-23 from Ardpol. This was an expensive kit. So, I'm piqued about the number of pinholes I'm having to fill on this. I'm very disappointed.

Resin kits have gotten very good in the last few years. Ardpol and Karaya are among the best.

It is extra-special annoying since this is a bare metal finish. Boo! At least all the holes are on the bottom.

The kit was beautiful in the box. Very nice panel lines and delicate rivets (which I usually hate). I bet other copies are just great. This is a rare event.

I felt the odds of getting replacement fuse halves shipped all the way to the US was slim.

Anyhow, I'm almost done polishing. Did find two more holes... Grrr!

Brent

I agree with you Brent. It's particularly annoying when you have high hopes for a kit, it looks great in the box, but it turns out not to be a dud.... the CMR Sikorsky that I'm about to start is also such a kit (all will be revealed when the Float Plane GB starts!).

Bubbles in resin are one of my pet hates too - the more you fill and polish, the more seem to appear.

Hope you get on top of yours soon.

Cheers

Cliff

Edited by CliffB
  • Like 1

If I run across a good deal on the NeoMega kit I will snap it up. I've been very happy with their products in the past.

The Bilek kit will wind up in the stash at some point too.

I need to do a bit more research. The Poles flew these in green, right? The bare metal finish on this kit is KILLING me. :-)

Happy modeling!

Brent

I need to do a bit more research. The Poles flew these in green, right? The bare metal finish on this kit is KILLING me. :-)

I'm pretty sure all Yak-23s flew in bare metal or overall silver laquer.

The Yak-17 which went before the 23 was often seen in green though.

The Poles flew these in green, right? The bare metal finish on this kit is KILLING me. :-)

I'm pretty sure all Yak-23s flew in bare metal or overall silver laquer.

For what it's worth, all the profiles of Polish Yak-23's on Wings Palette show what I'd believe is overall silver lacquer - no green ones. Sorry!

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/f/45/29/0

John

A search for Polish Yak-23 turned up quite a lot; here's just one good image which looks pretty clearly to be overall aluminum lacquer, not bare metal:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spicpix/5942480287/

More here:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=Polish+Yak-23&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&rlz=1I7GGLL_en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=PnJgUbaiDsfI2wXavYCIBw&ved=0CDsQsAQ&biw=1152&bih=676

Edited by John Thompson

Poland had purchased three Yak-17 fighters and seven Yak-17UTI trainers from the Soviet Union in 1950. According to the latest research all these aircraft were painted light greenish grey overall (like piston-engined Yak-9P and La-11 fighters as well as Yak-11 trainers).

In 1951 the Polish Air Force received 90 Yak-23 fighters and all of them were painted silver grey overall (there was no natural metal finish on Yak-23).

Thus neither these Derwent-engined laminar-winged fighters, nor the Jumo-engined WW2-rooted earlier aircraft were flown in Poland camouflaged in olive green / light blue.

AFAIK the scheme you mentioned was aplied only to the Yak-15s and -17s in Soviet, Czech and Chinese service.

I've never heard of this manufacturer "Ardpol Rant" before :)

Perhaps not, but certainly you're aware of the rules regarding capitalization of words in titles...no?

The OP capitalized the right things in the subject title; nothing to complain about here.