Eduard 1:48 Polikarpov I-16 Type 10 Profipack

Shar2

Polikarpov I-16 Type 10
Eduard 1:48 Profipack

boxtop.jpg

The I-16 styrene is the same as that in their Weekend Edition released last year and reviewed Polikapov I-16 Type 10. Thusly the history, build and basic details are the same so it would be wrong to repeat what I wrote at the time. The major difference between the two editions, apart from the colour of the styrene, which, in this case is a bluey grey, rather than tan, is the addition of etched parts, an enlarged decal sheet and a set of masks.

Fuselage.jpg

Wings.jpg

Main.jpg

Misc.jpg

Clear.jpg

The majority of the parts on the small etched sheet are for the cockpit. These include a pre-painted instrument panel with a separate backplate with the instruments also pre-painted. There are also a host of levers and controls to either enhance the styrene or, in a few cases, completely replace them. To give a more detailed thickness to some parts are sandwiched together. There are straps for the rudder pedals and the seat is enhanced with new seatbelts, which are also pre-painted. Externally there are only a few parts which include the engine nacelles internal rotating cooling grille, access door, and a small access cover for the port undercarriage bay.

etch.jpg

Masks
This thoughtfully provided sheet has masks for the windscreen upper and lower parts, inboard and outboard wheel hubs and a set of five strips for which there is no mention of their use within the instructions.

masks.jpg

The Decals
The quite large decal sheet provides four types of Russian Star, fuselage stripe for scheme1, winged emblem for scheme 2, name for scheme 3 and tail number for scheme 4. The aircraft depicted are from the following units.

Scheme 1 – Major Mikhail N. Yakushin, Red Five Aerobatics Team 1939
Scheme 2 – Unknown Unit, Ukraine, Summer 1941
Scheme 3 – Generalmajor Ivan A. Lakeev, Hero of the Soviet Union, 1941
Scheme 4 – Unknown Unit, Leningrad area, 1944

decals.jpg

Conclusion
Whilst this kit has been released before, it is still makes up into a lovely little model. The additions of the etched parts add a little more interest, in the cockpit particularly and the masks make for light work when painting. The four aircraft colour schemes are all different, with schemes 1 and 2 being the most interesting in my view. As before, I can quite happily recommend this kit.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of logo.gif

• Like 1