1/72 Fine Mold X-Wing, Red 5

I was asked recently by a friend if it would be possible to build one of the FM Star Wars X-Wing fighters with lights. So not one to shirk a challenge I had a kit in the stash that I had started and abandoned so set to work with some LEDs and fibre optics.

As the kit had been abandoned I have just got on with it and thrown some paint and decals at it, the decals are another story, definitely worth applying a coat of varnish before using, they tend to crumble!

Anyway this is where I am as of last night, red LEDs to engines, green one to cockpit and white fibre optic to pick out lights in cockpit and R2's "eye".

image_zpsdb811c99.jpg

image_zps770bb4d6.jpg

Still need to finish Luke, the cockpit and canopy then do something with the base, probably Death Star related.

Cheers,

Warren

Edited by Madmonk

Some slightly better pics but without lights working.

IMG_0259_zps3b3c98cb.jpg

IMG_0258_zpsce8fd010.jpg

I am changing the base as I have come up with a better idea, just waiting for the bits to arrive.

The freind has now asked if I can build him a diorama of the Exhaust Port from the Death Star with Red 5 just pulling away having fired the Photon Torpedoes so over the easter weekend I started work on the base.

IMG_0257_zps227d9277.jpg

Cheers,

Warren

New base arrived this morning so I knocked up a small tile for it.

IMG_0340_zpsfb656371.jpg

The box will hold all the electronics and battery and has a seperate battery compartment to allow it to be changed easily.

Cheers,

Warren

Cheers Smiffy, waiting for some moulding rubber and resin to arrive then I can make a mould and cast a few of them.

Warren

Edited by Madmonk

• 2 weeks later...

Along side the X-Wing I thought I would have ago at the TIE Fighter too, again with lights and again 1/72.

For this one I have added the RetroKit cockpit so it is more in line with the studio model.

IMG_0266_zps88f7a28b.jpg

Using kit pilot though as this is more accurate.

Fibre guides added to cockpit.

IMG_0527_zps21da9ff8.jpg

Background blue LED and red LED for F/O tested.

IMG_0536_zpsd0b731b5.jpg

I also want to add the option to have a burst of "fire" from the canons on the front so have built a monostable circuit and using a flashing LED get about 4 seconds of "fire" when triggered.

When I learn how to add a video I will post it up.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1