Yet another Airfix Vampire T.11

Thank you all for your kind words. Very much appreciated.

I'm pleased with the way things have gone so far and have now got the fuselage closed up and the wings on. Airfix have done such a nice job of this kit that there's not much scope for further detailing beyond some minor bits like extended cartridge case ejection chutes (which not all T.11s had anyway) and aerials to be honest .

I just hope I don't stuff it all up when I paint it! :o

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

My pedestrian progress continues!

I haven't added much in the way of extra detail to the outside because it doesn't need much. I have added the link chute extensions and the small kick strips at the edge of the cockpit opening though. Airfix haven't included these but they are fairly obvious on the real thing I feel.

I've chucked a bit of paint on, added some shading to break things up a bit and to hint at some of the everyday 'dirt' from riggers' feet clambering over the wings, and glossed it up ready for decals. The pictures are not the best I'm afraid and the gloss has made the shading stand out a bit - I'm sure that go back as it should be once the final satin varnish is on though.

I've just printed up some decals for the serial I want to apply, WZ581, so I hope to start decalling very soon.

IMG_1168_zpscd8cf28c.jpg

IMG_1170_zpsdc8328dd.jpg

Mark

• Like 2

My pedestrian progress continues!

I haven't added much in the way of extra detail to the outside because it doesn't need much. I have added the link chute extensions and the small kick strips at the edge of the cockpit opening though. Airfix haven't included these but they are fairly obvious on the real thing I feel.

I've chucked a bit of paint on, added some shading to break things up a bit and to hint at some of the everyday 'dirt' from riggers' feet clambering over the wings, and glossed it up ready for decals. The pictures are not the best I'm afraid and the gloss has made the shading stand out a bit - I'm sure that go back as it should be once the final satin varnish is on though.

I've just printed up some decals for the serial I want to apply, WZ581, so I hope to start decalling very soon.

IMG_1168_zpscd8cf28c.jpg

IMG_1170_zpsdc8328dd.jpg

Mark

Great work Mark,

Thanks chaps. It does look a bit weird in those photos to be honest but better in 'real life' I promise!

Got most of the major decals on yesterday but still have a few to go plus all the little fiddly stencils. I'm not sure if my patience will allow all those to be fitted though!

Is it just me or does anyone else find decalling really stressful?! :mental:

Is it just me or does anyone else find decalling really stressful?! :mental:

It's the absolutley most fun part of modelling! :thumbsup: The more decals, the better.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

It's been a while but my Vampire is coming together at last. I've still got the canopy to do plus some small stuff like the jet pipe, replacement pitot tube (it lasted longer than I expected before I snapped it off!), VHF aerials and a tiny bit of paint touch-up, but here it is as it's stands.

Painted with Citadel Mithril Silver and Tamiya XF-3 Flat Yellow and varnished with Galleria Satin varnish. Decals are mostly from the kit other than the serials which are home printed (except for the underwing WZ5s which are from the kit).

IMG_1174_zpsf52ec488.jpg

IMG_1176_zpsa7071aa1.jpg

IMG_1177_zps0053aedd.jpg

Mark

• Like 9

It looks fantastic Mark, the detail you have managed to cram into the cockpit is great and not an after-market part in sight. I should really have a go at adding more from scratch, it could save me a few bob. :) Brilliant, well done.

Thanks chaps.

This really is a wonderful little kit and is a fantastic accompaniment to my other great favourite - Revell's Hunter. Yes, the panel lines are a little deep but it's nowhere near the issue that some folk have made of it in my opinion. They look more prominent in the photos for some reason, but in 'real life' they don't really 'intrude'.

The T.11 shape is subtle and very characteristic of the aircraft, so it has to be spot on otherwise it just doesn't look 'right'. Airfix have nailed it. The shape is right, the model 'sits' right and it just looks right from all angles. Brilliant work Airfix!

My very minor grumbles are the reliance on decals for certain details rather than them be moulded in - the instrument panel and the electrical test socket are what I'm referring to. Although I'd prefer moulded details, the instrument panel would be much less of an issue for me if it was more relaistic looking - the kit decal looks much too cartoonish to be used as it is I think. Anyway, that's a bit unfair because it's very minor nit-picking on an otherwise wonderful kit. I love it and will certainly be building more!

This really is a wonderful little kit and is a fantastic accompaniment to my other great favourite - Revell's Hunter. Yes, the panel lines are a little deep but it's nowhere near the issue that some folk have made of it in my opinion. They look more prominent in the photos for some reason, but in 'real life' they don't really 'intrude'.

The T.11 shape is subtle and very characteristic of the aircraft, so it has to be spot on otherwise it just doesn't look 'right'. Airfix have nailed it. The shape is right, the model 'sits' right and it just looks right from all angles. Brilliant work Airfix!

I agree Mark, it seems to be a lovely kit and Airfix should be congratulated for producing it at an affordable price. The minor niggles can be overcome as you have demonstrated.

Having just picked one up myself,I can see what all the hoo-haa about it is.

Airfix have got it spot on and firmly nailed their colours to the mast for accuracy,

fine detail and simplicity for pocket money pricing(the Spit 22 is just as good I feel).

Excellent work Stephen.

Just one question,do you want to do the seats for mine? :whistle:

Thanks chaps.

My very minor grumbles are the reliance on decals for certain details rather than them be moulded in - the instrument panel and the electrical test socket are what I'm referring to. Although I'd prefer moulded details, the instrument panel would be much less of an issue for me if it was more relaistic looking - the kit decal looks much too cartoonish to be used as it is I think. Anyway, that's a bit unfair because it's very minor nit-picking on an otherwise wonderful kit. I love it and will certainly be building more!

Fantastic work Mark, You've been busy!

I'll echo another comment here... its hard to believe that this is only a 1/72 scale model.

Thanks very much everyone for your encouraging comments. I'm currently working to add some detail to the inside of the canopy, but have had a bit a setback as I've just broken some of it off again! Grrrrr!

Never mind, I'll sort it out and post another piccie or two soon.

Thanks again!

See you on Saturday DC.