Yet another Airfix Vampire T.11

Thanks chaps.

Yes, the panel lines are a little deep but it's nowhere near the issue that some folk have made of it in my opinion. They look more prominent in the photos for some reason, but in 'real life' they don't really 'intrude'.

I agree completely. This is particularly true of 1:72 models - on the bigger kits, the scale of the photo is often reduced for a forum like this, and the panel lines look smaller than they really are. Hornby's first few releases created a perception amongst modellers that there was a new "mad-trencher" at work, and it will take time and more great kits like this Vampire to remove that perception. As Airfix has shown with each new release, they're paying attention, improving the product, and listening to their market. I used to loathe building an Airfix kit, but now I look forward to it! :)

I love what you've done with yours - the cockpit is "tarted" up just right for a Saturday night. Very nice indeed! :)

Cheers,

Bill

Flamin' 'eck! That's a beautiful piece of work!

Thanks John.

As Airfix has shown with each new release, they're paying attention, improving the product, and listening to their market. I used to loathe building an Airfix kit, but now I look forward to it! :)

I love what you've done with yours - the cockpit is "tarted" up just right for a Saturday night. Very nice indeed! :)

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill and, yes, I agree Airfix are improving with every new release. Panel lines are always going to be unrealistic in 1/72nd scale, but I don't think they're the showstopper on models like this Vampire that some think they are. Yes, they are quite deep but are only noticeable when there are lot clustered together - like around the fin. Airfix' new Spitfire Mk.I was a good example - there are a lot of panel lines close together in the rear fuselage/tail area and that does give a bit of 'crocodile skin handbag' effect I feel. But then if it grates that much, just fill 'em in! I never thought in a million years I'd see a mainstream 1/72nd Vampire T.11 to be honest, so even one with slightly deep panel lines is a real treat! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the T.11 is just about finished. Since the last photos I've added some detail to the inside of the canopy (beefed up the central 'beam', added the locking mechanism and handle etc,) and it's now fitted. I've attached it with PVA as I'm sure it'll get knocked off at some point. I'd rather the PVA give way rather than it be attached more firmly and it take any plastic with it!

Next job is to get cracking on the base to stand it on.

Anyway, some piccies...

IMG_1191_zps0de05fa9.jpg

IMG_1192_zps3f34a55f.jpg

IMG_1195_zps05e8cbab.jpg

IMG_1197_zps9df0c223.jpg

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by StephenMG
  • Like 4

That looks brilliant, just the inspiration I need as I've just started this kit today. I might have a go at adding some details seeing your impressive additions. Are there any pitfalls or trip hazards I need to watch out for?

Duncan B

Aaaaand yet another thread that is going to cost me money... :rolleyes: It looks great!

The positioning of the instructors head make him look puzzled as to the whereabouts of his pupil!

Sean

Wow.

That is awesome for 1/72.

Thank you kindly Sir!

That looks brilliant, just the inspiration I need as I've just started this kit today. I might have a go at adding some details seeing your impressive additions. Are there any pitfalls or trip hazards I need to watch out for?

Duncan B

Thanks Duncan! There are no real gotchas with this one - the only issues I had were self-inflicted! The internal intake trunking is a bit tricky to get aligned, and if it isn't then the intake parts don't align with the wing surfaces properly and will need a bit of fettling.

Aaaaand yet another thread that is going to cost me money... :rolleyes: It looks great!

The positioning of the instructors head make him look puzzled as to the whereabouts of his pupil!

Sean

Thanks Sean. The bemused looking instructor is why I need to get on with the base! That will have the pupil about to climb aboard and will, hopefully, complete the scene. Watch this space...:)

I think this is the nicest build of this kit I have seen yet - and there have been several excellent ones. Really nice. I simply could not understand the tide of negativity with which this kit's appearance was greeted.

I think this is the nicest build of this kit I have seen yet - and there have been several excellent ones. Really nice.

Not sure about that, there have some outstanding builds on here recently. Thanks anyway though!

I simply could not understand the tide of negativity with which this kit's appearance was greeted.

Now THAT I do agree with!

Excellent effort! I have a large airbrushing session coming up and must get mine ready to include it in it. I really is a cracking kit both from the detail and value for money point of view.

Martin

Did you have any fit problems? The reason I ask is that I have a huge gap along the wing roots on the bottom side and tail planes plus large steps between intakes and wings. Top wing joint doesn't look too clever either!

Duncan B

Beautiful build and finish. what is next?

Next job is to make the base for this one, then I fancy doing an FB.5 while I'm in a Vampire frame of mind!

Did you have any fit problems? The reason I ask is that I have a huge gap along the wing roots on the bottom side and tail planes plus large steps between intakes and wings. Top wing joint doesn't look too clever either!

Duncan B

Yes, I had a bit of a gap between one wing and the pod on the underside and also some odd shaped gaps in the roots of the tailplanes, but a little squidge of filler easily sorted that. I use the filler and nail varnish remover technique when filling gaps like these so they're very quick and easy to deal with.

The intakes and wings are a little tricky but weren't too bad. I can see that they would be very easy to misalign though. I did file the top and bottom surfaces of my intakes a little to make sure they were flush though.

Bear with it - it'll be worth it!

Mark

• Like 1

Next job is to make the base for this one, then I fancy doing an FB.5 while I'm in a Vampire frame of mind!

Yes, I had a bit of a gap between one wing and the pod on the underside and also some odd shaped gaps in the roots of the tailplanes, but a little squidge of filler easily sorted that. I use the filler and nail varnish remover technique when filling gaps like these so they're very quick and easy to deal with.

The intakes and wings are a little tricky but weren't too bad. I can see that they would be very easy to misalign though. I did file the top and bottom surfaces of my intakes a little to make sure they were flush though.

Bear with it - it'll be worth it!

Mark

Sounds exactly the same as mine, well at least it wasn't something I did! I've filled all the gaps and it does look nice so I'll just have to accept that it takes a little effort. The sink marks on the top of the flaps will take a little work to get rid of though.

Duncan B

I think I made mine worse than it needed to be because I got the intake trunking slightly misaligned. I'm in two minds about that trunking to be honest - much as I admire Airfix for adding as much detail as possible, this trunking seems a bit of a waste of time to me. You can't see it when the model is assembled and it can cause the need for extra 'fettling' to get the outer intake parts to sit down properly.

Still a great kit though!

Lovely little Vampire Mark, & the addition of figures adds a lot of life to a model - I look forward to the nervous stude climbing in...!!

I had the same problem with underside gaps - a huge one at the port wing root & those funny shaped ones under the tailplanes - but at least they were on the undersides! Glad it wasn't just my ham fistedness too! I still think the panel lines are overdone & it almost stopped me getting one, but it's such a lovely kit otherwise, I've got over them now & will more than likely get more in the future!

keef

I agree keef, the panel lines are a bit too deep, but given there are precious few options for T.11s in this scale and zero options for an accurate one, I can certainly live with that. With a wash of a sensible colour (not black!) in the panel lines they don't really intrude IMO.

I've got a couple more in the stash anyway, one of which I plan to 'meld' with a Revell FB.5 and, with a bit of extra tinkering, knock up an FB.9.

Mark

• Like 1

Well, funny you should that. I was in the process of bodging Aeroclub T.11 fuselage halves onto a modified Revell FB.5 to make a T.11 when Airfx announced this kit!

I've no doubt it'll happen again! :)

• Like 1

Mine's taken a bit of fettling too around the intakes.

I had to finally hold the wing in place and run in the MEK,of course it doesn't help

when you discover you've glued your thumb to the top of the intake and wing :doh: .........

• Like 1