Yet another Airfix Vampire T.11

Sorry folks, I hesitate to burden you with yet another T.11 thread but I really do like this kit so couldn't resist!

As one with a special interest in T.11s I was over the moon to see this released by Airfix and it fitted with a modelling 'theme' I had on the go perfectly. That theme is to built the aircraft used by 233 OCU at RAF Pembrey during the 1950s. Types on my list are Tempest TT.5, Mosquito TT.35, Meteor F.8, Vampire FB.5, Vampire T.11 and Hunter F.1. I've done the Hunter and Tempest so with Airfix' timely release I'm starting the T.11.

Progress will be slow (all my models are!) but I started with the seats. I have in mind that the model will be placed on the ground with hood open and with the instructor already strapped in. He's carefully watching the pupil pilot about to climb in. With the hood open I will really need to add some detail to the interior. The Airfix seats are a pretty good shape but are devoid of any details. I have always been unimpressed with aftermarket seats in my area of interest so decided to have a crack at adding detail to the Airfix kit seats myself.

So, this is the starting point, reasonable overall shape but with no sticky out bits at all!

IMG_1120_zps1131c819.jpg

I added the drogue gun, BTRU, scissor shackle, drogue sleeve, seat cushion, back pad, parachute and seat harnesses, firing handle, height adjustment handle etc. from plastic strip, rod, wire and copper sheet...

IMG_1127_zps32a2a0e7.jpg

IMG_1126_zps017856a5.jpg

So that's the unoccupied pupil's seat. The instructor's seat will be occupied but I found the kit pilots to be a little on the large side. Instead I used a figure from an Airfix Hunter which I modified to better represent a pilot wearing a Mk.1 bone-dome and G-Type flying helmet. I modified his legs to fit the Vampire and turned his head to a more natural looking angle - glaring at his pupil! His seat has the same detail added to the top parts but will only have straps added to the rest once the pilot has been installed...

IMG_1125_zps8ced53cd.jpg

I found the copper made it difficult to easily see how the seat was looking so I gave the seat a light spray with Halfords primer. I know from experience that painting directly onto the copper means it rubs off easily so the primer will help that as well. So this is where things stand at the moment (with a bit of scrap plastic added to make holding while painting easier)...

IMG_1131_zps0409f10c.jpg

IMG_1130_zps7c7ca02c.jpg

Needs a bit of fettling and smoothing in certain areas then it's on with some paint before moving on to the rest of the cockpit. The firing handles look a little thick now there's primer on them, but they'll just have to do - my eyesight can't stand much more of this! :)

Cheers,

Mark

Very impressive seat Mark, I don't think we could possibly have too many Vampire builds. It will just show the nay sayers that the kit is buildable, very buildable.

Colin

Who needs a bought one when you can scratch build a seat that well! I look forward to your future posts Mark. I'm in the slow lane too, so no hurry.

Andrew

Don't worry about boring anyone, the more takes we get on any new kit the better in my opinion. It helps weed out any glitches in the kit for those who follow.

Great seats by the way.

Martin

No burden at all mate!!! Are you kidding???

You have done a remarkable job on those ejection seats and if the rest of your build will be of the same quality then, show us more of your work!!!

Looking forward to see the next stages of your build.

Cheers

Sernak

I can see why you're not impressed with after-market seats when you can turn out seats of that sort of quality yourself. Even at , what, 10 x?, magnification they look superb. Are your eyes of the normal human variety or bionic?

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay in replying (been having broadband router problems) but thanks all very much for the kind words.

I hope to get some paint on the seats later so will post another piccy of the finished articles when done.

Are your eyes of the normal human variety or bionic?

:D Mk.1 eyeball (2 off) and a decent magnifier, although I do have to put up with my missus taking the p*ss out of me when wearing it! :fight::)

Yep, I agree with everyone else....no burden mate.

Thanks for taking the time to share your project. The additional work on the seats is astonishing given the scale of the subject.

I look forward to more progress.

Cheers.

Well, I said this would be slow but I have at last painted and weathered the seats!

The moulded details on the pilot figure are softer than I would have liked so he needs a little more work to disguise that before getting some matt varnish. Anyway, here are a couple of pics to prove I have made some progress!

IMG_1147_zpsb00e182a.jpg

IMG_1146_zps38e02116.jpg

Blimey! Look at the size of his feet!

Mark

• Like 3

Thanks chaps. I'm quietly pleased with how they've turned out. I just hope the rest of the thing goes OK too!

Progress updates are likely to be erratic though I'm afraid. I've done my #&$#ing back in and hunching over a workbench is proving very uncomfortable at the moment. Bugger! :doh:

Oi, don't you start! :fight:

Shoreham looks distinctly unlikely I'm afraid. The thought of driving a 6 hour round trip doesn't appeal...unless I can devise some means of driving lying down... :hmmm:

Don't worry, I'm not going (too much to be doing at this end preparing to move the Stirling workshop), DC is going though

Oi, don't you start! :fight:

Shoreham looks distinctly unlikely I'm afraid. The thought of driving a 6 hour round trip doesn't appeal...unless I can devise some means of driving lying down... :hmmm:

You need the motorway-bound equivalent of the prone-pilot Meteor....theres a job for Top Gear.....

Seriously, nice work, Mark - very impressive.

Edited by Paul Bradley

• 4 weeks later...

Right, my back is much better and I've made a bit of progress on the T.11.

So, having finished the seats I decided the cockpit needed a bit of tarting up...

IMG_1148_zps9885871e.jpg

I thought the cross-tube looked a bit thin compared to the real thing (it is the upper mounting point for the seat rails after all...and I did snap mine!) so I replaced it and added the control trunking on the back cockit wall as well. The hydraulic reservoir on the rear decking is just moulded as a lump by Airfix but in reality is a cylinder that actually hangs from the rear canopy structure rather than being mounted on the decking. That was going to be awkward to do so I just replaced Airfix' lump with something more cylindrical (sprue) then added some of the pipework from wire. I also added some cabling to the GM compass corrector box and bomb distributor on the other side. The hood jettison mechanism in the centre completed my extra bits in the area behind the seats.

I thought Airfix' representation of the throttle box was a bit lame so I beefed that up, added a better throttle handle and thinned down the trim wheel. I also added a throttle handle to the centre pedestal plus the de-icer knob and a hood jettison handle from wire.

IMG_1151_zpsfa98e97b.jpg

A bit of paint and weathering and there it is...

IMG_1158_zpsa9ded8d1.jpg

IMG_1153_zps0b861f25.jpg

IMG_1161_zps97369757.jpg

The hood jettison handle should have black stripes on it, but...er...I forgot to paint them and I can't get at it now so it'll have to stay as it is. Still, adds a splash of colour doesn't it? :)

You can't really see it in the photos but I covered the instrument panel decal in a few coats of Citadel wash as it looked like a cartoon. I dulled it right down so you can't really see it too much now. It looks much more realistic. I don't really like this decal trend and would much prefer a moulded panel that I can paint myself - or at least more authentic looking decals.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

Mark

• Like 4

I'm not normally a fan of having figures in aircraft, but I have to say in this case it really does look cool! Looking forward to the finished product.

CF