Mach 2 Luna Moon probe/with Semiorka Launcher in 1/72

jetboy

Hi,thought you might like to see this,its a nice big kit,though im not overkeen on mach 2 kits ive made before.But this looks very nice,ive included some comparison photo,s of it against an airfix version for a size comparison,cos myself,i need to see the size,scale means not a lot to me,anyway i,ll include the history as included by the maker,s.enjoy

mach 2,s history as per kit.

Lunar- First Russian Lunar Probe

The first Soviet <LUNA> Probe was launched on May 1st 1958 from the Baikonur Cosmodrome

The mission was to acheive Earth Escape Velocity and journey to the moon before the American <PIONEER> Moon Probe.

This launch and the subsequent three which followed the same year all failed for different reasons. However, on January 2nd 1959 another three stage rocket carrying a <LUNA 1> spherical probe successfully launched but missed the moon by some 6,000 kilometers.

Following this partial success two other <LUNA> missions were attempted but both failed until on 14th September a <LUNA 2> impacted the moons surface after a perfect flight.

A month later another <LUNA> mission was launched, <LUNA 3>. This spacecraft was equipt with a camera and other sensors to transmit images and information from the lunar surface back to the Earth.

Although the mission was a success the poor picture quality revealed no new information of the lunar surface.

The final two <LUNA> flights were made in April 1960, both were failures.

This type of launcher is still being used up to present day.

001_zps9411f33b.jpg

002_zpsadc8b5ed.jpg

003_zps9082780c.jpg

the payload section,note no probe is included.

004_zpsb4b49607.jpg

the payload next to airfix,s same part

005_zps75bece57.jpg

2x trees for the main body,and 2 booster,s

006_zpsdabdf397.jpg

008_zps57b03906.jpg

the other 2x trees with the other 2 boosters,and base

009_zps40f2d888.jpg

010_zps94a2461c.jpg

one booster compared to the airfix kits

007_zps72d8fe96.jpg

rough comparison of length against,the tallest airfix kit

011_zpsdeb611b8.jpg

012_zpsfb30e4d6.jpg

1x sheet of instructions,as all the kits have the same booster section,

014_zps930ef3c1.jpg

013_zps1f53d714.jpg

cheers Don

• Like 1

HI,jess,so somebody does read these things then?im posting the other versions later,see what you think?,i think the R7 is already on here...happy easter, cheers Don

That should be fairly easy to convert into the Vostok launch vehicle. Doing a Soyuz would be a trifle more difficult, but not impossible.

Hi, Don, good to see this one being built. I keep looking at the Vostock version in the stash, and not quite summoning up the courage to start it. I'm interested in how you deal with the attachments for the boosters and core - they looked a bit weak to me.

Regards

Tim

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old thread. This looks very interesting, did it ever get finished? Is this kit still available? I'd really like to build a 1:72 Soyuz, it would look great next to my Space Shuttle.

Thanks Marty, that looks a nice kit, although it's well beyond my price range. I think I'll have a look at acquiring a Mach 2 kit at some point. I tend to be a 1:72 builder, so it would be nice to add some more space stuff at a constant scale. I've now got a Thor, V2 and a 1:72 shuttle, so a Soyuz or Vostok would look pretty cool in the same context.