1/48 Airfix Lynx AH1GT

Hi,

I've received a nice photo of a Lynx in desert livery from a friend a while ago asking "Nice, isn't it?"

Well, I was hooked... even I have no previous experience with helicopter models.

After a short research - I have NO previous knowledge about any Lynx - decision was made.

I've grabed an AH7 boxing and did some conversion planing:

1) new 'metal' rotor blades

2) new bigger tailplane

I have also ordered a complete set of Eduard PE (interior, exterior, seat belts) and mask.

The last but not least is the Xtradecal sheet depicting the famous XZ221 J from Operation Granby...

I have started rotor modification by creating new blade tips from a set of 'folded' blades:

Lynx_002.jpg

Lynx_001.jpg

Lynx_004.jpg

Final result...

Lynx_015.jpg

... and remains

Lynx_017.jpg

Next is the new tailplane

Lynx_003.jpg

It's made from a 1/144 DC-9 tailplane :)

Next will be interior details...

S.

Looking so far. May i add that i think your new metal blade tips appear to be a tad too swept back? In reality, they were quite square with a hint of rounding.

You are aware that A2Zee do a full conversion for the AH1 with all the bits you'll need ;-)

Trim tabs on blades? Seems I have some serious gaps in references ;)

Can you please sugest some info sources for this particular detail?

Thanks a lot

S,

Edited by SasaU.

Looking ace so far now I may dig out mine and so a souest or Hildesheim cab , what paints are you goin to use

As for the colors I am going to use Gunze C43 and C19 as the base. Both needs to be modified a bit to represent Desert Pink and a Light Stone.

S.

Looking good mate. Will be interested to see how the PE turns out. Ive got several sets but haven't touched a 48th Lynx for a few months due to concentrating on 32nd conversion.

Lookin' good but you might want to pay some attention tot he top corners of the hoop behind the crew seats. It stops the fuselage halves coming together, do a bit of a dry fit. Similarly with the aft top corners of the cabin structure, you'll need to shave some plastic away in this area and maybe the bottom corners too. After that it should all go together well.

Tony Lynx 7 is a very good source for assembly info, better to ask that look foolish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Colin

• Like 2

Sorry, I must have missed something. What mold (sic) flaw?

Shane

Shane,

Depends where he's from. Mold is correct but Mould is also right. In fact, the American spelling predates the English so technically is correct. :thumbsup2:

Great start on the kit so far. Looking forward to regular updates.....

Hi,

When trying to find the pictures od the "flaw" I found this thread

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234916578-airfix-148-lynx-problem-with-the-blades/

So my appology to Airfix and big thanks to Lynx7 for clered this out

S.

Ah, I thought that might be what you were on about. happy to see that Lynx7 (and others) are still providing help to all, which is one of *the* reasons BM is so good

Shane

Shane,

Depends where he's from. Mold is correct but Mould is also right. In fact, the American spelling predates the English so technically is correct. :thumbsup2:

Great start on the kit so far. Looking forward to regular updates.....

Yes, I know all that. The important part was that there is NO mould flaw in the blades, Airfix has it right. Lynx7 kindly set him right though since the blades were being modded anyway it shouldn't matter for this model (which I'm watching when I get the time!)

Shane