Humbrol Clear (125ml)

Paul A H

Water - just clean the cup out first, spray the remnants until the flow is clean, then flush through with water, maybe add a drop of detergent. Check and clean the needle, flush again, job done.

The only extra thing I do is to leave the brush on its stand with some Vallejo airbrush cleaner in the cup, the new Humbrol airbrush cleaner also works.

It must be *very* new... A swift Googling had the Search engine consistently coming up with no results for 'Humbrol airbrush cleaner', but it did helpfully substitute the word 'Badger' for me every time. Off to Humbrol's website for further trawling...

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I have just tried this stuff for the first time on my current model ; Up until now i have been using Johnsons Klir which is the name it is marketed under here in France ; ( It has a light brown color to it so i presume it is the same stuff sold in England ); After initially trying to airbrush it I soon gave up and found brushing it gave a very smooth finish, however i was not happy with the results dipping canopies.

As far as putting on a protective finish after painting i have to say that I wont be using this new Clear it , For one thing it takes to long to dry, which means the project can gather dust, I tried an oil wash 2 hours after application which dissolved it, and has left a couple of streaks which have dried a different color. none of these problems occurred with the Klir.

i have tied it on a cannopy and i am very pleased with the results So if my two pennies worth is worth anything, then my conclusions are that its well worth the money for dipping cannopies. But as far as giveing a gloss coat i will be reverting back to the Klir .

Thanks for the heads-up on this Paul. I managed to track down a bottle from a company on Amazon and found it to work as well when brushed as when sprayed, as long as it's not applied too thickly.

My 1/32 Hawk and 1/72 Angel Interceptor canopies covered well, but the clear parts had to be thoroughly scrubbed in soapy water first to prevent the Clear coat from beading.

It also works to rejuvenate older builds. My bottle of Klear might have become old and contaminated over the years, which resulted in canopies looking slightly cloudy, like this:

IMG_3201.jpg

A coat of Humbrol Clear brushed on however, and it comes up like this:

IMG_3347_zps533707af.jpg

It might not show up too well on photographs but to the eye the difference is striking. I shall certainly be using this product from now on.

Cheers,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a bottle yesterday from Giles toys in Carterton. Gave it a try last night, and it is very glossy, but does take about 20-30 mins to harden off. All in all seems promising, and the dry finish seems "harder" than Klear or Quick Shine.

Cheers

Jonners

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys and gals,

Quick question; I put a thin coat of clear over acrylic (revell aqua colour) paint, left it half an hour to dry, THEN I put a very watered down (6/1) wash of Vallejo black ink on the model (it's a 1/350 sub) - HOWEVER, in a few places the paint looks like it has rubbed off to the primer (even though I am sure I never touched it). Any ideas on what I have cocked up on?

:-)

TIA

Pete

I know, I followed the blurb on back of bottle - says ready for recoat in half an hour, so, I thought I would be able to put a wash on it (as works better on gloss surface) - but as mentioned, in some places the paint has gone (just small areas of raised detail by the looks of it).

:-(

Pete

I also used this product for the first time a couple of days ago - unfortunately, it dried a bit 'frosty' in a couple of areas. Fortunately I applied a sludge wash & it seemed to sort that problem out.

My next question is this - can you safely use things like Mr Hobby UV cut or Testors Dullcote over the top of Humbrol Clear varnish without side effects? (and in my case an oil based wash thinned with white spirit as well)

How long did you wait until you applied a wash Rich?

Hi - the fogging occurred after applying the varnish. So, basecoat of automotive grey, then automotive silver. pre shade and painting with humbrol enamels. Waited at least 48 hours before applying humbrol clear varnish. I assumed because I'd waited the requisite amount of time, I wouldn't get fogging, but it happened on about 20% of the model's surface. I then almost successfully removed the offending areas with white spirit. Afterwards, I applied the wash which seemed to fix it - now it looks slightly blotchy in areas, but actually appears like faded paint. I waited 24 hours before applying the wash to the varnish...

question still stands though please - how does this stuff react (if at all) to UV cut or Dullcote?

I know it might sound a bit obvious but a word of warning, don't let clear sit in high temperatures or direct sunlight.

Having just moved from our conservatory I've lost 2 full bottles which were sat on my desk, it's gone yellow and turned very thick. :banghead::weep:

• 2 weeks later...

Would that actualy be legal?

Julien

No real reason why it should not be. It is unlikely that the original formulation was protected by any unexpired patents and there is no hint of any passing-off exercise.

Edited by Work In Progress

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Humbrol have posted on their Facebook page regarding the problems with Clear clouding etc and are asking people to share any similar experiences, so if you Facebook and have had problems it might be worth heading over there to give some feedback;

https://www.facebook.com/Humbrol

Had this exact problem first time I used it - my Hase P-47 canopy was dipped and then left undercover (inside) overnight. It dried to a cloudy, pooled finish with significant chalky deposits. What will strip this off best without damaging the canopy?

• 2 months later...

Had this exact problem first time I used it - my Hase P-47 canopy was dipped and then left undercover (inside) overnight. It dried to a cloudy, pooled finish with significant chalky deposits. What will strip this off best without damaging the canopy?

I use rubbing alcohol (93% ethanol) to remove Humbrol clear and other acrylic paint. HTH.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, reopening this one - just put a thinned down coat of Clear over a Vallejo acrylic base (left 24 hours to dry before putting humbrol clear on) - it seems to be lifting the paint with it when brushing - not good!

Any ideas? Alternatives to this?

• 4 weeks later...