Mars Liner by Glencoe in 1/144

jetboy

Hi,lets have a look at some model,s,ok not strictly real space...but when it was designed in the 50,s,this was going to be real space?.You can see a finished model in the show section by martin g,in one of its many guise,s..Aftermarket decals are available for different co,s running mar,s tours.not many bits,its a kit more for the finish paint/decal job,have a look...

001_zps49c3fab6.jpg

002_zps4b53db4c.jpg

003_zps14edbe83.jpg

004_zps4ece1534.jpg

005_zps26d591f7.jpg

006_zps5f90dad5.jpg

supplied decals

007_zpsb72be9bd.jpg

the kit

008_zps37c82c67.jpg

portholes

009_zps663702b8.jpg

main body

010_zps0be4b97e.jpg

landing gear/legs,not fitted on martins model in finished section

011_zps9cd26b93.jpg

A NICE RETRO KIT,....cheers Don

Isn't it just too retro and nostalgic to resist? I have one stashed too. Looks very 'Robert Heinlein' to me. I'll have to find alternative decals for it though. There was an issue with TWA decals I think.

David

I've got a couple of these too. Glencoe used the ancient Disney Moonliner Strombecker moulds dating back to the fifties, but still good fun. I was lucky enough to pick up the rare 1999 US IPMS convention version with the huge custom decal sheet and resin Mars base for £7 at a boot fair many moons ago, really ought to get round to building them !!!

Isn't it just too retro and nostalgic to resist? I have one stashed too. Looks very 'Robert Heinlein' to me. I'll have to find alternative decals for it though. There was an issue with TWA decals I think.

David

There was an issue with TWA and brand protection when the kit was issued. But if you look closely at the FasTWAy decals you can see a way to get the old-style TWA markings out of the kit decals...

There was an issue with TWA and brand protection when the kit was issued. But if you look closely at the FasTWAy decals you can see a way to get the old-style TWA markings out of the kit decals...

Oh now that is clever!

David

A classic kit but "Real Space"?

.....ok not strictly real space...but when it was designed in the 50,s,this was going to be real space

Its real space to people of a certain age......................
  • Like 1

In all the years I've had this kit, I'd never noticed that!!!!

Here is the out of production Capt Cardboard monster. It really is huge, I have one in my stash for years but probably a retirement project and that is a numbers of years away.

http://www.therpf.com/f11/twa-moonliner-ready-lift-off-100450/

Back to the Glencoe kit, if you want one that is canon to 'Tomorrowland' the decals in some of the kits are a bit dark - not that you'll get them off backing sheet intact!

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk
  • Like 1

Here's my take on this classic kit:

Disneyspaceship_06_MJI07212012Large.jpg

Disneyspaceship_01_MJI07212012Large.jpg

I used a bagged copy of the Glencoe reissue of this Strombecker kit. I had picked it up at a model show without either a box or decals. I used a set of decals that I picked up on eBay from a guy who has redone quite a few classic misisle, real space and related decals. The base is a vacuformed planetary surface sheet that painted up quite well and fit the model.

For a bit of trivia, I did some research on this design as I was building it last year. This was never meant to be an actual real life spacecraft design. It was created by Disney as a showcase for their new Tommorrowland area at their theme park. I found the name of the designer of this spacecraft and it was one of the Disney staff. As TWA had sponsored the initial version at the park (there were two), Disney used their coproarte logo and colors on the exterior.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:drink:

• Like 1