Grumman X-29

This is the experimental foward-swept-wing (FSW) demonstrator from Grumman, the X-29. Here, it's in 1/72 scale from Hasegawa illustrating the remarkable wing sweep angle that certainly seems "backwards" but has certain advantages for some aerodynamic modes and maneuvering flight. This "X" plane is one of a long line of American test aircraft that have explored the boundaries of flight over the decades.

8594744338_ab8140e608_o.jpg
Photo Series 3-25-13 012mod3XCZ by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

8594744214_07ee0e8759_o.jpg
Photo Series 3-25-13 018mod4XCZ by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

8593643871_a0729924ef_o.jpg
Photo Series 3-25-13 002mod3XCZ by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

8593643987_3782512f96_o.jpg
Photo Series 3-25-13 019mod1XCZ by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

8594744454_aa3c3f4178_o.jpg
Photo Series 3-25-13 009mod3XCZ by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

8594744580_b8a716a489_o.jpg
Photo Series 3-25-13 006mod1XCZ by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

Mike

• Like 2

Cracking build!

There was a 1/144 scale version at the IPMS UK Nationals last November as a new release, however I can't remember who is producing it........

• Like 1

Cracking build!

There was a 1/144 scale version at the IPMS UK Nationals last November as a new release, however I can't remember who is producing it........

Dragon do, along with some other X planes

Lovely model and great photography

• Like 1

Top notch as usual Mr De Torrice! Great in-flight pictures - those decals look like they would have taken some bedding down over all those curves (especially if they are 'standard' Hasegawa!)

• Like 1

I love the way you do your photo's in-flight. I built this many moon ago because its a very strange bird even for an X plane.

Steve.

• Like 1

Many thanks to all for such kind comments ..... they are much appreciated !

Nice one Mike, Hasegawa really did the subject justice as have you, pity they never went further and produced other X-Planes!

Colin

Thank you ! Yes, I would love if they had done perhaps a Bell X-2 or an X-1D. X planes are all very interesting craft.

F-5 Airframe, Tigershark bits and back to front wings, spot on Mike!

Your white finish is not so bad either!

Brian.

Thanks, Brian ! I did have to fight the urge to put the wings on the "right" way. :lol:

Top notch as usual Mr De Torrice! Great in-flight pictures - those decals look like they would have taken some bedding down over all those curves (especially if they are 'standard' Hasegawa!)

Thank you, Andy. The decals were a bit of a battle. I think I probably had to buy MicroSol / MicroSet in 55 gallon drums ! :D

Mike