Benetton Ford B192

Hello there,

Long time lurker, first second time poster. Got back into modelling a couple of years back. Read on here few days ago there were not enough F1 builds on the site, so thought I'd kick off with this;

P1040503.jpg

Some bits in a box

P1040504.jpg

Will aim to build OOB, but have some baccy sponsor decals, and will try and spray tyre logos rather than decal those;

P1040505.jpg

Started engine-gearbox-rear wing. Not happy with colour on gearbox. supposed to be a mix of gun-metal & matt brown. Might have another go, or spray with some smoke to tone it down a bit. Mind you, it will be mainly hidden when bodywork is in place. Drive shafts & some wishbones ready.

P1040506.jpg

Finally tonight two side panels that go either side of gearbox coloured and misted with Klear. Will let dry, sand and coat again, then a quick polish.

P1040507.jpg

That's it for now. Thanks for looking

• Like 2

Great start and a great subject.

Smoke will tone down tithe gearbox but will leave it with a shine to it so you might want to give it a coat of matt varnish as well, or mix the smoke with the varnish then finish it off with a light dry brushing of gun metal to bring out the details.

Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1

Small update; Madmonk thank you for valuable advice on toning down the gearbox colour. Sprayed flat varnish with a couple of drops of smoke & has worked a treat. Dry brushed gearbox housing sides, but not too sure how this looks, as first time have tried this technique.

Started work on cam covers.

P1040508.jpg

Wanted to try another trick I read somewhere - applying BMF over the logos, rubbing down with something soft, priming, spraying, then carefully sanding away to reveal foil again. Was quite impressed, but did chicken out on the sanding and finished off with a cocktail stick in places to remove paint. Over zelous sanding had worn away the BMF back to plastic again!

P1040512.jpg

Aplogies for the image quality, but should get gist of what I'm trying to say.

P1040514.jpg

Managed to get most of rear suspension on, just rear shocks and fuel rails etc to do next.

This brings back memories! Remember the decals being surprisingly good.

Bear, did you mean all the decals in general, or the 'green' decals for the bodywork etc. I am planning to spray all the green parts, but may run out of talent, so if the green decals do a good enough job..............well it will save on masking tape if nothing else!

Thanks for looking

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It has been a while since last post, but have been doing a little, not very often! Finally finished the rear suspension, and air intake trumpets, even though they will be hidden on final build.

P1040535.jpg

Next task we to remove moulded seat belts, and replace with something a little more realistic. I did have some Tamiya photo-etch buckles with the 'sticky-back' seat belts, but thought they were a bit too fiddly. Was then going to use some red ribbon, but that kept fraying when I tried to thread it through the etched parts. I tried using some red coloured card I 'borrowed' from the kids. I does not have the texture, but is easy to get to the right width, glues easily, seems to sit quite realistically and threads quite well, as long as you don't overwork it. Then it becomes too bend, and starts to 'delaminate'

P1040533.jpg

It look ok from a distance, and not too bad closer up. Also finished the rest of the dashboard and gear shift.

P1040527.jpg

I have not put any decals on yet, as I want to photo copy the decal sheet to cut out some masks for the green decals which I am going to spray instead.

I have made a start of spraying the cockpit surround. Then I plan to insert the cockpit, then seal the joint between the cockpit floor and the tub, before applying final coat(s) of yellow. Otherwise there will a joint line that is not there on the full size vehicle.

P1040530.jpg

So the next task is too fill, sandthe join between floor and cockpit sides, prime and paint all the yellow on the tub.

Could not resist a little dry fit to see how it is all shaping up!

• Like 1

Looking good, the other thing you could have used for the seat belt is the metal foil you get on some bottles of wine, the plastic ones are no good but the metal is ideal plus you have to drink the wine as well!

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1

"the other thing you could have used for the seat belt is the metal foil you get on some bottles of wine, "

The wine drunk in this house comes mainly from a box! I think I did see a tube of tomato puree lurking in the fridge. I think I read somewhere the metal in that is malleable enough for belts. Something to try on next build though.

Thanks MM, great advice as ever!

a tube of tomato puree
applying BMF over the logos

Well, well! You learn something everyday! In this case, two things in one day!!

Great work so far. For that metallic brown finish often seen on race cars, I use Alclad II Burnt Iron.

• Like 1

Baz,

Excellent progress.

EXEMPLARY workmanship ... :worthy:

Wonderful to watch..

{ even foil from the kitchen pantry ...bacofoil ...is malleable... And foil from takeaway curry / food containers..is good ....can be bought in supermarkets }

Oh where the heck are MY manners..

Hello and :welcome:

HOUSTON

:cowboy:

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Has it really been 9 months since I updated this? Blimey time flies! I actually packed kit away when we went on holiday end of May last, then didn't look it it again till mid Summer, and really seemed to loose the inclination to do too much, not helped by the fact one of the white upper front wing planes has dissapeared (probably one of the cats) and I badly oversprayed the inside of the cockpit. Just goes to show you can never mask too much.

Anyway a few images to show where I am now;

P1050159.jpg

Managed to overspay the decals inside the tub,

P1050160.jpg

And the driver display!

P1050161.jpg

Lost one of the white upper wing planes, and had to build another (left hand side)

P1050162.jpg

P1050163.jpg

Undertray and radiators installed, might risk weathering the radiator cores with a dark wash too add some depth.

P1050164.jpg

Lots of the component parts ready, just need to push myself to finish, really lost the love for this kit.

Dry fit of progress so far;

P1050165.jpg

Loads more still to do, but think I'll get some clear coat on, and apply some decals. Might then start to feel a little better about the whole thing.

• 2 weeks later...

gasdriverca & Mafney

I have buckled down & enthusiasm re-kindled!

P1050190.jpg

Made a start on decals, nose and front wing end-plates. One disaster already, Decals on the suspension cover are wrong way round/upside down. Ah well it was late!!!

Have managed to get rid of most of over spray on the inside of the cockpit. Cotton bud and a tiny, tiny application of celluose thinners.

P1050191.jpg

Will touch up the inside of cockpit surround later.

Ditto for the digital display inside cockpit.

P1050192.jpg

Bit blurred, but compared to image in earlier posts, an improvement.

• Like 2

Glad you've gotten back into it Baz, looks like you've made good progress already. :) I often find getting decals on some of the parts starts to bring the model to life a bit more.

You may be able to recover your minor disaster, as I did a similar thing applying decals to the tyres on a McLaren F1 car not long ago. Got the Bridgestone "rotation" markings all wrong so none of the tyres matched the correct wheel rotation... :banghead:

I managed to recover from this by reapplying a load of decal solution to them however, then very slowly and carefully managed to lift them up and move them onto the correct tyres, one at a time. Might be worth a shot perhaps?

I managed to recover from this by reapplying a load of decal solution to them however, then very slowly and carefully managed to lift them up and move them onto the correct tyres, one at a time. Might be worth a shot perhaps?

Believe it or not, I had already sprayed another 2 coats of Clear, only on that one part, purely to see how the the finish would look, and I don't fancy trying to clean that, then move the decal. I am happy overall, and learnt another important lesson!

Cheers anyway and thanks for looking in

Believe it or not, I had already sprayed another 2 coats of Clear, only on that one part, purely to see how the the finish would look, and I don't fancy trying to clean that, then move the decal. I am happy overall, and learnt another important lesson!

Cheers anyway and thanks for looking in

Ah, bit more complicated then! I had only just applied the decals (late at night, same old story! :P) and left them to dry, luckily realising my mistake before varnishing when looking at them the next day!