HO4S-3 Helicopter Royal Netherlands Navy

History

From 1954 until 1964, the Royal Netherlands Naval Air Arm (MLD) operated three Sikorsky helicopters. Besides their registration numbers, also names were painted on one side of the clam door (Jezebel-Salome-Cleopatra).

Assigned to either the Naval Air Station “Valkenburg” (search and rescue), or the aircraft carrier “Karel Doorman” for plane guard duties during launch and recovery operations. It has to be mentioned that they did save a large number of persons and pilots from drowning in all types of weather conditions. Being single engined and slightly under powered, they were unreliable. From the three helicopters, two crashed and one made it to the aviation museum.

It was here that I saw the S-55 for the first time. I decided to build one in scale. Second hand I found the mentioned Revell kit many years ago on the shelf of a gas station in a little village for the price of one pound fourthy.

The Kit

According to the mold, it was originally produced in 1959 (USA). It had decals from Belgium Sabena and the RNLN.

I completed the whole construction almost straight from the box. I used the Waldron punch and die set, together with Evergreen to slightly update the cockpit. For sound proofing the cabin and the area directly behind the pilots, I used thin foam. This you can find in the supermarket. When you order sliced Dutch cheese it gets packed on this material. It has (sometimes) already the punctured sound proof structure on it.

Airbrushed with xtra colour medium grey and sky. Decals from the box were applied with the help of set and sol. The whole model was finished off with a thin layer of Glitsa parquet varnish. (70% methylated spirit and 30% Glitsa.) This prevents the decals from discolouring.

The showcase is manufactured by ERTL and the street is from Evergreen.

See also the website: www.vlaggeschipsmaldeel5.nl

Hr.Ms. aircraft carrier Karel Doorman and her air wings (including the HO4S-3.)

Regards,

Dirk

(Orion MPA)

jfNkn8IRkNopY.jpg

jM1CpEgbuKe4u.jpg

jTwJTIa4uyvwU.jpg

jbliKeyIaBcsrn.jpg

Edited by Orion
  • Like 6

Hi Dirk, Congratulations on turning the very old Revell kit into something of a beauty. A lot of hard work must have gone into your build, especially getting the blade fold to look correct. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Colin

Dear Modelers,

Thanks for the nice words.

Next time the Buccaneer.

Regards,

Dirk

The Netherlands

I saw the first photo and though 'oh must get one of those. Missed that release.' Did a double take when I found how old it was!!