I suppose I had better start my build thread, seeing as the GB is nearly over... :banghead: No, it's not a late entry. I've been working on this since January.

It will be an Air Superiority Blue F-15A, namely 73-089 of Det 1, 57 FWW based at Luke AFB in July 1975. At the time, this aircraft was engaged in flight tests of various weapon fits, including air-to-ground munitions. After service at Luke AFB, this aircraft was transferred to the Portland ANG and is now the gate guardian at McMinnville Evergreen Field.

001.jpg

The kit is the Academy F-15C. It will be backdated by using a set of Aires turkey feather exhausts and a Pavla Escapac seat. Decals are from the superb Wolfpack sheet 72-050 Train Like You Fight.

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

Here is the resin in close-up.

007.jpg

More photos very quickly, as I have been putting stencil decals on it this evening...

• Like 1

Interesting! I've never seen the 1/72 Academy offering 'up close'.

It's not overly detailed especially in the cockpit and Bay 5 areas. The undercarriage bays are moulded with the doors closed. But it goes together nicely.

Cockpit area.

The cockpit itself was painted with Xtracrylix XA1131 Dark Gull Greay. Instrument decals from the kit. Bay was painted with Lifecolor UA136 Blue Aotake.

008.jpg

Intake trunking and fuselage interior sprayed with alclad white primer

009.jpg

Intake assemblies. The blue is Lifecolor UA037 FS35450 Air Superiority Blue.

010.jpg

Main assembly complete.

011.jpg

012.jpg

• Like 1

Undercarriage bays sprayed white with Alclad primer then maksed off by being filled with Copydex. The intakes are masked by being packed with tissue paper sealed with Copydex.

013.jpg

Sprayed with Alclad grey primer

014.jpg

Overall colour sprayed. The blue is Lifecolor UA037 FS35450 Air Superiority Blue.

It looks very bright, doesn't it? :D

015.jpg

• Like 1

Stickers in progress! :)

The Academy kit provides a fair number of the required stencils - in both the early full-colour and later toned down versions. However - as is usual with Academy decals - the adhesion isn't great, so I have touched the edge of each decal with a hairy stick loaded with Klear. This allows the Klear to flood under the decal by capillary action and seal it down. You still have a few minutes to change the position of the decal if necessary.

One thing about the early Eagles was that they have large numbers of stencils all over the place. Therefore I have added extra stencils from various spare sheets, notably along the wing leading edge. This also helps provide a bit more interest. There is nothing worst than a large-ish model in a single colour - it can look so toylike.

Needless to say, the Wolfpak decals went on flawlessly - as usual.

I have also addedthe airbrake. This aircraft had the early spine on the airbrake which was fashioned from plastic card. I didn't sand the airbrake in fully as I wanted to show it as though it had just closed and hadn't seated fully when the aircraft was shut down. I'm not sure I succeeded. I think the next time I build an F-15 I'll sand it as normal.

016.jpg

017.jpg

The natural metal areas were sprayed with Lifecolor LC74. Contrast panels were added with Alclad2 Dark Aluminium and Pale Burnt Metal

018.jpg

Up on its gear. Starting to look better now.

019.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finished! :yahoo:

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

The nose gear is a bit wibbly-wobbly. Sadly, SAC don't do a suitable white metal replacement set, so this model will spend the rest of its life on the display shelf jacked up on a couple of blocks of Lego. :D It's sat there now, next to a row of Phantoms.

I'll definitely be building another one of these in the future

• Like 1

• 2 years later...