Special Hobby 1/72nd Westland Whirlwind

Hi All

Also been doing this one at the same time as P40. Nice Kit to build. Fit appears very good although some minor fettling is needed. I lost the perspex cover at the fron/top of the tailplane to the carpet monster and so made a new one from some clear sprue made the appeture wider and inserted and filed and polished in. Added metal rod to tailplanes for strength.

mycarsjan20082345.jpg

mycarsjan20082346.jpg

mycarsjan20082369.jpg

mycarsjan20082371.jpg

Wings Build up nicely and are now on, will post some more piccies soon.

Thanks for looking.

All the best

Chris

• Like 2

Further progress on the Whirlwind, Wings on. Wings go together very well and so did undercarriage bays with onlu a small amount of filler needed on the engine nacelles only.

mycarsjan20082374.jpg

mycarsjan20082379.jpg

mycarsjan20082378.jpg

Little bit of cleaning up and some filler to go on Tail plane then should be able to paint.

Thanks for looking

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Bit of progress on this one, underside now painted, Black was a mix of Humbrol Matt Black and 78 Cockpit green

dscf6058a.jpg

First coat of Dark earth applied today, although no piccy at the mo.

Thanks for looking

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

Gorgeous aircraft - if only it had decent engines and the air ministry wasn't anti twin engine fighters. 'If only'. Your model seems to be coming along very nicely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Further slow progress on the Whirlwind. U/C on, the tail wheel has no locating lugs so small holes drilled through ends and tailwheel and an old snapped .035 drill shaft put through to make a small axle. Main U/C legs I found a bit fiddly however this was most likely my fault, decals on also. They went on without the need for any settling solution and settled into the very fine panel lines a treat.

dscf6178ag.jpg

dscf6179a.jpg

dscf6180ax.jpg

Hope you enjoy

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

Well, that's that decided.....I'll need to get one (or two, or three.......) of these for the stash. Great work on this one Chris, looks superb.

Always loved the Whirlwind, especially in DE/DG scheme and the SH kit looks a lot better than the Airfix one. Now, if Airfix made a new tool Whirlwind I could afford to do all those WHIFs that are running around in my head.

Cheers

DC

Looking really nice, whatever it's shortcomings as an aeroplane it was still had attractive lines and you've done them justice :goodjob:

She looks great, I do like the undersides. Just a shame the 48th one is hard to find :weep:. I have toes for fingers and can't get away with 72nd.

Mr Airfix, I hope you are listening regarding a 1/48 whirlwind? Hehe!

• Like 1

Mr Airfix, I hope you are listening regarding a 1/48 whirlwind? Hehe!

I'll second that!

And BTW that are really neat piece of modelling. Well done.

Cheers

Great looking job you've done there. I've got a couple of the SH kits and an old Airfix one so I'll coming back to this for reference. Often thought a what if model using the Whirlwind mainframe but with Meteor wings and engines could be quite interesting.

• Like 1