Blackburn Skua

Bert

12 hours ago, expositor said:

I was bemused by the above document listing planes coded for other sections; red: F and H, and yellow: Q, assigned to blue or third section that early in the war.  Blue section would normally have been K, L, and M,

no?   Maybe it's just me....

Skua "G" (probably serial number L2925. Lt. Fraser-Harris and L/A Russell)  which belonged to this section was lost the day before (25 April). Aircraft "Q" was a replacement, as Claudio writes. Ref. ADM 199/479.

Bengt

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bengt said:

Skua "G" (probably serial number L2925. Lt. Fraser-Harris and L/A Russell)  which belonged to this section was lost the day before (25 April). Aircraft "Q" was a replacement, as Claudio writes. Ref. ADM 199/479.

Bengt

L2925 was not the Skua that Fraser-Harris and Russell force-landed in on 25 April.  Two Skuas from 803 coded (8)G were lost in April. McIver and Barnard were lost on 14 April (shot-down by flak into Bergen Harbour) and Fraser-Harris and Russell force-landed on 25 April (engine failure, Sorfjorden, NW of Trondheim). Both of these serials are unknown (to me at least), but good candidates are either L2899, L2934, L2990, or L3038. After force-landing, Fraser-Harris and Russell walked 69 miles to be rescued by Calcutta. Now that Casson's Scharnhorst Skua has been identified, these two 803 Squadron aircraft are the only two Skuas that remain unidentified from the 38 lost during the Norwegian campaign.

L2925 was 803:F and Lucy's usual aircraft. He was shot-down in this with Hanson on 14 May while operating from Ark Royal.

Edited by iang
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, iang said:

L2925 was not the Skua that Fraser-Harris and Russell force-landed in on 25 April.  Two Skuas from 803 coded (8)G were lost in April. McIver and Barnard were lost on 14 April (shot-down by flak into Bergen Harbour) and Fraser-Harris and Russell force-landed on 25 April (engine failure, Sorfjorden, NW of Trondheim). Both of these serials are unknown (to me at least), but good candidates are either L2899, L2934, L2990, or L3038. After force-landing, Fraser-Harris and Russell walked 69 miles to be rescued by Calcutta. Now that Casson's Scharnhorst Skua has been identified, these two 803 Squadron aircraft are the only two Skuas that remain unidentified from the 38 lost during the Norwegian campaign.

L2925 was 803:F and Lucy's usual aircraft. He was shot-down in this with Hanson on 14 May while operating from Ark Royal.

Ian is absolutely right! Checked again and L2925 was lost on 14 May when hit by return fire and crashing into the sea. Don't know how this idiotic error occured but it again shows the necessity of being very thorough.

• Like 2

I can remove this if you want me to but here is my rendition of Lucy’s L2925/F.  

1/48 Special Hobby

40427535284_39b6cae2e4_z.jpg

I  am currently working on L2927/A flown by JM Bruen using the same kit..

• Like 6