AK Interactive weathering oils

Shar2

Weathering Oils
AK Interactive

packs.jpg

Continuing their apparent goal to dominate the weathering market AK Interactive have released six new weathering oils. They look like they’re designed mainly for the maritime modeller, although they could probably be used in numerous other applications. Each colour comes in an orange 20ml tube, with the name of the colour printed in white, which makes it very difficult to read.

tube.jpg

The six colours are:-

AK-500 – Light Grey Highlight

bin.jpg

AK-501 – Dark Grey fading

bin.jpg

AK-502 - Shadows for Grey ships.

bin.jpg

AK- 503 - Light Rust

bin.jpg

AK-504 – Dark Rust

bin.jpg

AK-505 – Black Smoke

bin.jpg

These are artist quality oils with a very fine pigment and can be used individually or mixed together or with other oil paints to create the desired colours. The greys can be used to create highlights or change the tone of an area on a grey background, whilst the rusts are ideal for rust effects, or change the tone of an oxidised area. The black smoke is ideal for smoke effects or used to accent the dark washes used in shadowed/obscure areas of a model.

Conclusion
This is another great batch of weathering oils from AK Interactive. The fineness of the pigments makes them easy to thin down and not look gritty or lumpy when used. Recommended

Review sample courtesy of
logo.gif

I'll third that then, and mention that the review samples were actually sent via Creative Models, who stock the whole AK range, as well as a lot more ;)

Can I ask, what's the relationship between AK Interactive and MIG Productions?

They do very similar products and I'm sure my MIG DVD's were done by AK.

In a review like this I would find it useful if there was actually some photos of their application and usage.

The problem I have is that just recently there appears to be a bottle or tube of something for every eventuality and i'm not convinced all these potions and concoctions offer me anything over a tube of good quality oil paint and some thinner. I don't have a closed mind to this however and I am quite open to being persuaded.

That's all very well if one has a paint mule or a kit on the go and ready for weathering at the exact moment the items come in. As it is when my current build of the Varyag gets to the weathering stage I will be using these products in accordance with the video to see what can be done with them. I may post some pics here when that time comes.