Hurricane G-AMAU "The Last of the Many" (1/48)

Hello,

This is my first build for many years, from a Hasegawa 1/48 kit. It depicts the Hurricane G-AMAU "The Last of the Many" flown by Peter Townsend at the 1950 King's Cup. For me, it was a leap forward from my early modelling years, being the first time I used an airbrush, and the first time I made my own paint masks.

hurricane_G-AMAU_mon-montage-s1_zpsd45fd

hurricane_G-AMAU_mon-montage-s2_zps241e4

hurricane_G-AMAU_mon-montage-s3_zps87b84

hurricane_G-AMAU_mon-montage-s4_zps4ec13

hurricane_G-AMAU_mon-montage-s5_zps1e49c

On close inspection the paint texture is a bit rough at some places. I blame my own inexperience with an airbrush, and the Vallejo acrylic primer coat which came out rather grainy. For later models, I will use another sort of primer. The main colours are Tamiya X-4 blue and X-12 gold, with some Alclad on the leading edge.

I used Hasegawa's special King's Cup boxing but was unsatisfied with the gold decals and with the white metal exhausts, so I could have started with any Hasegawa Mk.IIc.

Exhausts and wheels are from Ultracast and the vacuform canopy from Squadron. I used Montex masks for the canopy frames and an Eduard Zoom photoetch sheet at some places.

Paint masks were cut at a local printshop from a vector drawing. A single decal was used, for "The Last of the Many" under the cockpit. It was printed on his Alps printer by Bob Santos, to whom I'm sending many thanks.

Edited by C460
  • Like 4

That's a lovely representation of this particular colour scheme, I want to do this at some stage but will probably use

an aftermarket sheet for it, the natural metal panel on the port wing, is that correct ??

Very well done! I think you have captured just the right amount of sheen to the finish, nice airbrush work. I like your choice of subject, I have a strong interest for warbirds in civilian service and built a model of G-AMAU (or PZ865) as she appeared in 1968 while filming the movie 'Battle of Britain'.

Edited by Yankymodeler