Sram SE5a

My contribution will be the Sram SE5a, apologies that I have made a small start before posting photos but the distraction of being without electricity for the best part of two days is my excuse!

Sram kits are all 144, resin and WW1 subjects, quite a range but not cheap and not easy to get hold of (mine took something like six months to arrive directly from the manufacturer). They can be had from Hannants though, who are a lot quicker.

The kits come in a pale resin, which is difficult to photograph, really just the basic shape is included so things like struts will need to be made. They look pretty good against the small drawings provided and until the recent Valom Sopwith Pup were the only 144 WW1 aircraft I at least was aware of.

So far then just the main parts added, a bit of filler and a little sanding down as the fuselage surface was a little blotchy, otherwise all coming along nicely.

Oh, and it's really small.

Mike

IMG_3680_zps3941e507.jpg

IMG_3681_zps1288563e.jpg

Forgot to add, for some reason I ended up with a kit with US markings, but I bought some RAF decals from YK off ebay from 144 Direct

Mike

That must be miniscule. Are you going to rig it?

Antony

But of course! I usually build 1:700 ships so it shouldn't be too great a challenge. I'll add a scale reference in the next set of photos.

Mike

Some progress, of sorts. The resin was so pale It was hard to see the surface so I put on a coat of Halfords primer, This showed some problems, a bit of bubbling underneath the fuselage, wing ribs were scribed and the panel lines were more trench-like than necessary. I filled all of these with putty, I will redo any panel lines in pencil or similar once painted. Also I spent a few minutes hollowing out the footrests and beneath the instrument panel to give a bit of definition. Lastly added some strips of 700 scale etched wooden deck for the radiator grilles. Hopefully will prime again and start painting tonight.

Mike

IMG_3723_zps54827a41.jpg

IMG_3724_zpscd36e852.jpg

IMG_3725_zps801a0f10.jpg

Some paint on, I will add decals before putting in more details. Pound coin as requested for reference, most surprising is photos taken on a beautiful sunny spring day in Nort Wales, with snow still on the ground.

A little touching up needed around the wing edges necessary.

Mike

IMG_3728_zpsfccf6b3c.jpg

IMG_3729_zps58505569.jpg

Great stuff Mike, that really is tiny. One question, How have you managed to hold on to £1? That would be in SWMBO's purse in this establishment. :D

That's my weekly allowance

Mike

More progress, decals on and rib shading done. The latter came out much fainter than I intended so not sure it really shows up. Next will be detail the cockpit a little, the kit seat pinged off into the middle distance somewhere so will need to be done again. No I won't be weaving a new one. After that comes the hard part, trying to figure out what to make struts from and how to get them the right length.

I will pick out the more obvious shading needed before I get on with that though and a little light weathering

Mike

IMG_3731_zps882fa622.jpg

IMG_3732_zps54e07427.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A busy week has meant progress has slowed but I have now added exhausts, windscreen and cockpit padding and most importantly wing struts from scrap etched steel. Whether these stand up to rigging remains to be seen...

Mike

IMG_3880_zps066d27f2.jpg

IMG_3879_zps985f442a.jpg

Edited by Mike McCabe

Latest update, top wing fitted and painting done other than the tyres, now need to add prop, Lewis gun and mount with a final tidy up before tackling the rigging. Starting to look like a neat little fighter!

Mike

IMG_3895_zps40b2a0fb.jpg

Unfortunately I won't finish on time although the rigging is mostly done, at least the GB prompted me to get 90% of a build done!

Mike

That's a shame, please keep us us updated though looking forward to seeing it progress

Thanks Neal, I will finish, just need to do the Lewis gun and mount, prop, finish the rigging then a little tidy up, put on a suitable base and all done. Won't be for a week or so though but if not in this thread (assuming this GB section will be closed?), then I'll post in the WW1 aircraft section. Thanks for you encouragement!

Mike